21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,739 Posts
KTM
Jack at roadstercycle sells wiring kit for the SH847 Super harness with 30 amp circuit breaker. $49.95
It's the 4th block down Home

Reactions: adeyren

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
I'll be installing this SH847 soon. Just one question, you said that
"Extra wires from the stock harness were taped up"

So the other stock connector is just unused with the new SH847 setup ? So do you just seal the thing off ?

Thank you

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,587 Posts
Hmmm. File no good there bees. Says broken on my phone. Is it a cad or pdf?

·
Super Moderator
8,739 Posts
Was a pdf then took a pic and attached it to the post I can't send pics to message recipient's on the board. Check the thread I posted it there as well. You'll have to open it from here and then make the template to the drawing specs.

·
Super Moderator
8,739 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
I'll be installing this SH847 soon. Just one question, you said that
"Extra wires from the stock harness were taped up"

So the other stock connector is just unused with the new SH847 setup ? So do you just seal the thing off ?

Thank you
Master
Yes it's best to take the R/R output straight to the top of the battery with 10 gauge wire and a 30 amp fuse in the power line.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all

I just wanted to report back here about the SH847 install in my 1999 Fi BB
everything seems to be very straightforward.

Huge Thanks to Beestoys and Sckill !!!

·
Super Moderator
8,739 Posts
Your very welcome good sir

·
Registered
647 Posts
… One thing it doesn't really show is that the bracket actually stands off from the frame a bit, It actually tips the bottom of the R/R letting it fit inside the rear fairing a little better.

View attachment 101346
Hi Bee,

I'm gonna take the plunge and get the SH847 from Jack. I see you mounted your son's on the LHS (where I'll be doing mine on my '97 in it's original location).

It's great help having your template. Quick double check on cable lengths. I can see there's plenty of DC length in Jack's kit. How about the three yelliw stator leads? Kit says 12". Did you find that good enough, too long (though heck that's easy to cut) or too short (so I ought to ask/ order longer)? Granted you worked on an '03 on LHS not RHS so I'm assuming reaching the stator on my '97 from the LHS is the same reach/ length you needed.

Cheers Mallow1

·
Registered
817 Posts
Mallow, correct me if I'm wrong, but does the output from a carbi stator goes thru 2 connectors before reaching the R/R, compared to 1 connector for the FI? Never had a carbi, so going from memory, seem to remember it coming up before. Could change the wire length.?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi Fizzy,
Not with my BB at the mo but from memory last time I had the tail off the 97 RR has one combined connector block on it's externals for the three AC stator leads and the two DC leads. The SH487 has two separate external connector blocks (one for the AC stator leads, one for the DC leads).

As for how many connector blocks are between the stator and the RR I'm anticipating two. First to attach the stator to the main loom. Second to then attach the combined AC/ DC leads bundle from the loom to the RR.

Jack's advice seems to be avoid old wiring… go direct. So, that's easy re the DC leads they're 36" (so if anything prob longer than needed).

Now re the AC leads, you are right, if there are two blocks the job may be shorter re length of leads. Until Bee/ Adeyren or anyone else who has mounted the SH847 on the LHS kicks in I can but estimate lengths until I defrock my bird and measure directly for myself.

The Haynes manual is no help and the parts fische aren't a good place to scale from (though could help estimate). I'll look at them anyway next to verify expected connector block numbers.

I appreciate your heads up and recollection. Every bit of info in advance of orderimg and physically exploring helps in the prep and planning (7Ps for those who are familiar with that expression).

Cheers Mallow1

·
Registered
817 Posts
Mallow, I am suggesting to reduce the connector count from stator to R/R to 1. To do this, get longer wires from jack not shorter. Cut off the first 3 pin connector from the stator and use the 3 bullet connectors supplied with the superkit instead.

edit: this is to eliminate the loom entirely from the charging circuit.

·
Super Moderator
8,739 Posts
Mallow
I'll get in and look. I converted my sons 03 over to the proper RHS. Didn't make any sense to add a foot and a half of wire in a primary load bearing circuit. From there I ran the output directly to the battery per Jack's recommendation.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts