Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the new exhaust in. No real biggie for the install. I noted the header collection is different.

Stock and Akra is 1+4 and 2+3
Yoshi is 1 + 2 , 3 + 4

“Of course we all know that Yoshi is the best so their engineers must be onto something on the flow bench. “ :)

Not really concerned. I wonder why the center stand rubber is blue. You’d think it would be black. Stock hardware for the tab under the foot peg is spot welded to the stock exhaust. So the parts bin came in handy.

I had to tap out the old exhaust gaskets. The torque specs were 18nm or 6 ft lbs which seems really light. I just hand tightened them in an “in and out” torque pattern being careful to be relatively consistent. My torque wrench goes down to 20 lbs and I didn’t want to spring for a decent new one. I started the bike up and let here run until the fan came on, put the Yoshi map on and will check torque after she’s cooled down.

No seat of the pants time yet. Don’t want to ride her with a jumped relay.

Overall it looks really good and sounds throaty but not too loud. Very light weight and well made. With the K&N, the exhaust, the unrestricted fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator things should prove to be pretty exciting.

Parts available.

// smurf

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Nothing like shaving 18 pounds off of your bike...

:woohoo:

and then there's the performance gain

Lois

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
L, thanks for the recommendation. this is a nice system. I am so out of here when the ECM comes in. I feel like I'm in the starting gates waiting for someone to pull the trigger.

·
Read Only
29 Posts
question,

What diameter has the pipe were you connect the muffler to?

I am wondering if you can fit a other muffler (other brand) to the header set ;-)

Kind regards

Dré

·
Registered
206 Posts
looks nice, what year is your bird and what was the cost in the end for the entire exhaust setup. maybe something i want to consider in the future.

·
Fastest snail on Earth
459 Posts
Wah......u have moneys growing out from ur backyard???

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That MileMarker winch sitting in the background paid for this.

eBay, gotta love it. // smurf

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
question,

What diameter has the pipe were you connect the muffler to?

I am wondering if you can fit a other muffler (other brand) to the header set ;-)

Kind regards

Dré

Dre'
I'd have to disassemble to measure but I think that the tube accepts just about any slip on, at least Yoshi. I think some folks have mixed and matched headers, down tubes and cans. I'll see if I can find out. // smurf

·
Read Only
29 Posts
O thanks,

I ask because I really like a to see a bulky muffler on one side.
and the Yosh and akra are a bit on the small size for mine tast.
(are the only ones that make the 4 to 1 headers as far I could find)

I mean Look at the bike.... its big! so it needs a matching pipe ;-)

Greets

Dré

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks nice, what year is your bird and what was the cost in the end for the entire exhaust setup. maybe something i want to consider in the future.
Year 2000. Total cost was about 750 from Indysuperbikes. You can save a little with the stainless canister. I just sold a bunch of high end items on eBay and decided to get the carbon. Poundy's bike look so good I had to do it. // smurf

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Maybe the lightest full system in the market...with one of the best looking canisters also...but the pipework and fitting sucks..the akrapovic system fits way too easier than this..and the pipework quality and furnish is much better..i experienced often pressure leaks from the midpipe section....which i managed it only by welding them..i didhn't like the throttle responce on low-mid even with the PC III on...this system was developed for the carbed birds i believe...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The difference in the headers changes the torque curve. The 1+4-2+3 gives better low/mid, where the 1+2-3+4 moves the torque up the rev range to mid/high.

Without the PC3, yet, on mine, I have noticed that under 3k I am now seriously lacking torque. From ~3k-6k it starts to come alive, and it really gets going above 6k. I suspect the bottom end will be helped by a PC3 & map, but as I wasn't actually planning on the Yoshi system, it's not in the budget at the moment. Especially as I have to pay rego & insurance in the next few weeks... :(

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The difference in the headers changes the torque curve. The 1+4-2+3 gives better low/mid, where the 1+2-3+4 moves the torque up the rev range to mid/high.

Without the PC3, yet, on mine, I have noticed that under 3k I am now seriously lacking torque. From ~3k-6k it starts to come alive, and it really gets going above 6k. I suspect the bottom end will be helped by a PC3 & map, but as I wasn't actually planning on the Yoshi system, it's not in the budget at the moment. Especially as I have to pay rego & insurance in the next few weeks... :(
Banshee, does the noise insert do anything in regard to back pressure and improve the torque curve. I thought I read somewhere that a baffle depends on placement in the tube. Haven't researched that yet, just was thinking about that today and was curious. --sm

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Not noticably, no. It does make it quieter & the idle dropped from ~1250-1500 down to 1000-1250, so it must make some difference. But nothing really noticable on the throttle at low revs or in the fuel economy I'm getting.

I just took it out, having ridden for a couple of fills with it in, that last with the resistor in place of the O2 sensor. No change to fuel economy, but it DID make it run smooth again. :) Just took the baffle out this morning after filling up last night, to see how it goes with baffle out + resistor.

I really have to find a way to get a PC3! :p

edit: My km/Ls for the last several fills:
Delkevic & OEM Headers:
Yoshi 4-1:
No baffle:
Baffle in:
+ Resistor:

The changes are within the traffic induced variations, so nothing significant there. I'm guessing you won't have quite the same issues as you have the PC3 to set the fueling correctly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice stuff, good pics too. :thumb:

·
A Rainbird Warrior
5,154 Posts
Looking good smurf. Read a few negative posts but my experience is all good the fit was spot on once i'd sorted which side of the peg to put the hanger on, I think the header is a better arrangement my power is smooth all the way up no hesitation. The can is only a push fit with no clamps and no leaks. I have the insert in on mine I think that keeps the power band smoother for road use and a little quieter which is nice. Take it out for a track day if that's your thing when you are going to be in the mid to high ranges. I don't think you will find a tastier looking exhaust.

I don't think there are many exhaust makers been around as long as Yoshi they have stood the test of time.
I remember a guy called Graham Crosby dominating the GPs for a while on a Yoshi Suzuki naked version with high rise bars many! many! moons ago :rotfl:I never got the stand buffer in my kit :huh: perhaps I threw it out with all the packing.

·
A Rainbird Warrior
5,154 Posts
O thanks,

I ask because I really like a to see a bulky muffler on one side.
and the Yosh and akra are a bit on the small size for mine tast.
(are the only ones that make the 4 to 1 headers as far I could find)

I mean Look at the bike.... its big! so it needs a matching pipe ;-)

Greets

Dré
PM deadman he could probably make you one as big as you like :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Maybe the lightest full system in the market...with one of the best looking canisters also...but the pipework and fitting sucks..the Rostropovich system fits way too easier than this..and the pipework quality and furnish is much better..i experienced often pressure leaks from the mid pipe section....which i managed it only by welding them..i didn't like the throttle response on low-mid even with the PC III on...this system was developed for the carbed birds i believe...
How considerate of you to offer such positive feedback about my new exhaust system...delightful etiquette, real class.

Sorry you're so adamant about how bad the Yoshi sucks. Maybe you got a defective unit?? I'm sure all the funding for research and development was a total waste. I guess I'll just have to take my system off and throw it in the trash. Hmmm.... NOT.

Pipework and fitting were outstanding, very well made, good quality control. Maybe things have been QAd, redesigned, tested and validated since you last tried a Yoshi system. In the end it's an air tube. Of course we can over analyze the last 2.5% and offer our opinions about it but what the hey, we all have our opinions.

Now where is that ignore button ???

// smurf

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
How considerate of you to offer such positive feedback about my new exhaust system...delightful etiquette, real class.

Sorry you're so adamant about how bad the Yoshi sucks. Maybe you got a defective unit?? I'm sure all the funding for research and development was a total waste. I guess I'll just have to take my system off and throw it in the trash. Hmmm.... NOT.

Pipework and fitting were outstanding, very well made, good quality control. Maybe things have been QAd, redesigned, tested and validated since you last tried a Yoshi system. In the end it's an air tube. Of course we can over analyze the last 2.5% and offer our opinions about it but what the hey, we all have our opinions.

Now where is that ignore button ???

// smurf
Maybe....but this was my experience and i was just posted it...wish you have better luck..with this system..i didhn't ..:idunno:

·
Back in Black,AC/DC
2,008 Posts
nice work smurf,still aint as fast as a black bird with a Akraprovic exhaust system,oh & Akra only make the headers 1-2 & 3-4, nice though,its now a custom Smurf bird,Awesome,enjoy

1 - 20 of 95 Posts