Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not as cool as bike, but still intriguing. And it's for sale on Craigslist!
Yes, it’s REAL >> And, apparently it’s even STREET LEGAL! Because, the original VW gas engine is still in the front! Can drive around normally on the original VW engine as a FWD and fire up the GE T58-8F if you feel the need for an additional 1350 HP. No need to bring a separat grill for tailgating!
Many more pics and details in the original ad: best of craigslist: Jet Powered Volkswagen Beetle
VW.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
My local Kawasaki mechanic in Colorado added a turbo-charger to a customer BB years ago. When he saw me starting to drool, he mentioned that it is great when going straight - but when the turbo kicks in, hold on for dear life. Not so great going around curves as the rear tire wants to step out and throw you off. You have to really watch the throttle to go fast, but it could still bite you when you hit an uneven road patch or gravel. That much power is more binary.

I also saw an airplane jet engine in a formula race car in Hockenheim/Germany (when I was young and handsome) and on the drag strip in Chicago back when. Jet engines love to go straight on wheels. Just don't do curves. Plus, there was a lot of smoke from the turbines - no way to pass them. And no mosquitos anywhere. :)

The new Kawasaki H2 is a much better compromise as the super-charger power is more under control with your wrist. More linear, less like an explosion aka 1969 Kaw H2 Widow Maker.

Still got my 2000 BB in Titanium chasing young-ins. Wish there was an Autobahn nearby to clean off the carbon on the valves... ;)

Keep the rubber side down.

PS Loved the comment about Einstein and Marylin Monroe.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
… Jet engines love to go straight on wheels. Just don't do curves....
Only if you think linearly, check out the Brit invented Harrier Jump Jet (sold to the USMC).

Originally conceived as a VTOL, however during the Falkland conflict (back in the 80s) the Harrier (which can't even do mach 1) out maneuvered the Argentinian mach 2 jets by using their "directional jet vents" mid flight.

So imagine a jet motorcyle going round a corner with part of the jet redirected to push it sideways into the corner! You are no longer wholly dependent upon rubber traction!

The Y2K may have melted bumpers of cars too close behind it but imagine being "blown" sideways by a jet bike cornering in the opposite direction!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts