Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi Guys
another pesky little issue
having changed the chinky rad for a decent oem that fits properly and running it i still have the dial needle never lifting off the peg ( if i am riding )
if i let it idle for several minutes the needle will lift off the stop peg and the fan will start
so the gauge is working
i am guessing that the wax in the thermostat is gone and its staying open
the bike runs pretty fine as it is
2 questions:
a)worth fixing ?
b)the part is nls by honda
there is listed a pattern version by " caltec usa"
is this going to work?
i guess the later oem version which is still available is not a interchangeable part as its a lot bigger according to the pics
thanks for your ideas
paul

·
Registered
432 Posts
Paul, sounds like your thermostat is stuck open, or there is no thermostat. Just install new oem one. Remember to also order new o-ring gasket as it wont survive. Remember, the wax you mention is part of the cold start system, separate from the thermostat.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi fizzy
i dont refer the a efi model with a " wax throttle up " device
i refer to the standard thermostat that will usually use a wax core as the pressure mechanism
further to that
i found that for the carbi versions in their infinate wisdom honda have nls the part which is rather short
there is a different nr for the efi version in a different housing that looks longer and so probably wont fit
however i discovered on the bay that there is a usa company
caltric listing a carbie version question is : is that a decent product ( for that price it has to come from china )
and
that: according to some ebay sellers a cbr1000f 'stat will fit( my old touring bike that i still have )
the official diagrams list part nrs of
the
xx carbie are 19300mat000/ 601
will fit cbr 1000 f 19300mg000
usually in honda speak the letters refer to the material used
so i am wondering if they are actually interchangeable
as the 1000f version curiously enough is still serviced.... even being 10 yrs older
go figure...
look forward to a concise reply
paul

·
Super Moderator
12,475 Posts
What year is your bike? If it is a 97-01 analogue dash model it is worth checking the PCB on the back of the clocks.
These PCBs are getting old and tracks break. If a track breaks (or gets corroded) you can get very strange readings (or none) on the temp gauge and fuel level.

Not saying this is the problem here but always worth a check.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi Duck
thanks for your suggestion, which i had already checked when replacing the lights in the nosecone
as mentioned the needle does respond when the engine actually warms up
but unless the bike standing still for a long time it never does
this is the same for both my bb's
so my question about the caltric and other honda part nrs still is open
thanks
paul

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
My 97 doesn't see a lot of temp needle movement either. And fans cut in before needle hits halfway point when idling a long time. I think its a feature of the bike. There are no symptoms to suggest its a problem.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My 97 doesn't see a lot of temp needle movement either. And fans cut in before needle hits halfway point when idling a long time. I think its a feature of the bike. There are no symptoms to suggest its a problem.
Yeah my 98 rarely gets above 1/2-2/3 even when hot in a WA summer as well but he's saying it never really gets off the stop and even in winter mine will at least go to 1/4 when fully warmed up :unsure: :unsure:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts