Honda CBR XX Forum banner
141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Administrator
12,998 Posts
Jeez never seen valves looking that bad (even from the blown motor that had fire extinguisher pumped down the inlets!) ..... the valves look as though the motor was initially running very rich (looks like lots of carbon under the white deposit) is the head heavily coated?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Was it losing coolant?
Never noticed it to....

Jeez never seen valves looking that bad (even from the blown motor that had fire extinguisher pumped down the inlets!) ..... the valves look as though the motor was initially running very rich (looks like lots of carbon under the white deposit) is the head heavily coated?
haha! no kidding!:loony: My guess is the previous owner had this thing running ridiculously rich, and then when I did the motor swap and tuned it all up it was a little too late. I had it running perfecto, but I'm thinking the valves were already a bit too gone, as it wasnt too much later that I noticed it burning oil and all this kinda happened at once. I still gotta go check out the shims and see what they all read to be, thats what I was originally was doing and then when I shined a flashlight into the motor I saw those valves and was like oooook then this thing needs surgery.:thumbd:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Someone didn't stuff an oily rag down the bore... tisk tisk... :p
Yeah I know, I wiped it down with some oil and that was it :doh: I so should've left stuff in there :crap:
Possibly going to be parting out the engine and sticking a ducati 900ss into the cbr900rr frame.
Not really decided yet on what to do... I suppose I need to look more into final cost of things and what I really wanna do with it....

·
I are the grammar police
3,373 Posts
hahaha

Yeah I have a thing with motor swaps....
No kidding! :)

Hilarious. A Fireblade engine in a GPZ600 frame! Any extra bracing in that old thing? :rotfl:

I really am looking forward to seeing a Ducati motor in a Fireblade frame.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No kidding! :)

Hilarious. A Fireblade engine in a GPZ600 frame! Any extra bracing in that old thing? :rotfl:

I really am looking forward to seeing a Ducati motor in a Fireblade frame.
Oh yeah, rear mount is for sure beefed up, and front is having another brace between the two frame tubes.
I'm still not 100% on the ducati motor in the fireblade.... I'm starting to believe that I need to have a HIGH HP machine, and my zx900rr would be the fastest in my fleet right now, and that just doesnt cut it with todays standards.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Oh yeah, rear mount is for sure beefed up, and front is having another brace between the two frame tubes.
I'm still not 100% on the ducati motor in the fireblade.... I'm starting to believe that I need to have a HIGH HP machine, and my zx900rr would be the fastest in my fleet right now, and that just doesnt cut it with todays standards.
if u want a HIGH HP machine the keep the xx engine and slam a turbo in that bad boy then u will see whats power
rebuils the motor and put a spacer gasket to lower ur comp and run 15-20 psi with good tune lets see if u can hold on on that beast !

·
Registered
380 Posts
Turbo-bike.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
if u want a HIGH HP machine the keep the xx engine and slam a turbo in that bad boy then u will see whats power
rebuils the motor and put a spacer gasket to lower ur comp and run 15-20 psi with good tune lets see if u can hold on on that beast !

Well project is on hold since I have so many other builds going on..... But I am picking up a (dont hate on me hahaha) ZX11 this saturday that is already running and I'm just gonna bring it home and slap a turbo on because I am power hungry and tired of just talking about having a turbo bike.
I'll rebuild the blackbird motor as I have the ZX11..... It's just a matter of money being thin between so many projects at the moment.

·
Registered
380 Posts
turbo zx11 doesnt seem like a bad idea but can u find parts for it ?
turbo pistons rods lock up clutch etc
how much can it hold ?
what does it need for it to hold that much ?

look how many successful turbo birds around that engine is bolet proof
i run 23 psi with a stock engine only a spacer to lower my comp undercut trany and a lockup clutch !!!!
makes so much power that i changed 4 tires and 3 clutches since march and i dynoed it at 2 dynoes and both wouldnt hold
first dynoed it at 23 and spun the tire no matter what
second he wouldnt push more than 16 psi and did 267 and that with my ignton being off by 6 degrees and my cam timing was 107/92 instead of 107/107

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
Have you considered taking your Bird to Nels at TwoWheeledDyno across the line, the 49th line?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
Take a moment to check his web site. E mail him. Many Vancouver riders and racers use his service. I wanted to take my Bird to his shop but he's so busy during race season and Life and timing just got in the way. Good luck. You have one fast bike there for sure. You can even truck your bike to his shop and make a day trip out of it:)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: turbo

·
Registered
55 Posts
turbo zx11 doesnt seem like a bad idea but can u find parts for it ?
turbo pistons rods lock up clutch etc
how much can it hold ?
what does it need for it to hold that much ?

look how many successful turbo birds around that engine is bolet proof
i run 23 psi with a stock engine only a spacer to lower my comp undercut trany and a lockup clutch !!!!
makes so much power that i changed 4 tires and 3 clutches since march and i dynoed it at 2 dynoes and both wouldnt hold
first dynoed it at 23 and spun the tire no matter what
second he wouldnt push more than 16 psi and did 267 and that with my ignton being off by 6 degrees and my cam timing was 107/92 instead of 107/107

Oh I agree completely in the idea that a XX turboed would be much more ideal....especially my XX in my RR frame.
I don't plan on boosting the ZX11 much, I really just want to test the waters with my fabrication abilities and have a fun ZX11 for cheap, and have the wicked turbo sound...I'm getting the running, non-wrecked, and clean titled bike for 500bucks so I really can't pass that up.
I will still have my XX motor to rebuild..... turbo bird build will happen eventually for me!

-----------------------
This bike build of mine here is getting a good bit my attention lately....should be finished up somewhat soon though. Once it and a CX500 is done that I am also building is done, then I can get back to the XX.

141 - 160 of 171 Posts