Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Project is coming along nicely. Easier than I thought. Rear mounts are already in place and torqued down. I made front mounts tonight and will drill holes/mount them tomorrow. Motor should be nice and snug. Exhaust lines up perfecty. You can see it in progress at rrzone.com in the modifications section. THANKS to s4rhoolie for that head and cover. If I hadn't had a bare block and head to fab with I don't think I would've attempted it. I'll put a few pics up tomorrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Info on this swap is near impossible to find. It's like looking for live footage of a Unicorn or something. That's why I decided to do a step by step so others could benefit. The swap itself has been amazingly simple. Motor is bolted in frame and most complicated tool I've used so far is a Sawzall:rolleyes:. I did have to do a lil welding making one of the front mounts but plan to have it made out of aluminum before final install. If you're wanting to use stock airbox you're going to have to do some fab work. RR's don't have that long straight section in the frame that the Birds do. It wouldn't be hard to do..lil cardboard for templates and some fiberglass work. I'm converting the FCR's I had on my RR so I'm not worried bout the airbox. My best friend is a Bird guru so that helps alot. He is going to help me remove balancers before I actually put motor in for good. It's also getting 1195 kit and Speedtech down the road. Here's a couple of pics. I was totally amazed at how perfect the exhaust lined up..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice Job and let us know how it comes out. I just got it. He's a Drag Racer. Duh :doh:
3 reasons. One, to work on latter half of that "power to weight" ratio. With RR engine, gas in tank, full 2lb nos bottle, it weighed in right around 440. That's a lil fat for an RR but mine has extra weight in longer swingarm, extra electronics, etc. It's about 20lbs over where I wanted. A comparably equipped XX would weight in around 570 (adding the extra 20lbs). XX motor is almost exactly 40lbs heavier than the RR motor. That's roughly 90lbs weight savings. Ask any bike dragracing buddies you know what difference 90lbs would make.
Second is reliability. I've built RR motors for myself and several others since 02. It can make some killer power but it has #3 rod bearing problem. I did the pressure relief mod, run Falicon rods, freshen bearings every winter and it still spun on me. 893 virgin cranks are VERY hard to come by. I'm done with it. My best friend has ran the crap outta his 97 XX and it's still holding up.
Third is cost. It would cost a small fortune to set up XX frame like I already have my RR set up (12" arm, etc.). Nothing wrong with XX frame, it's solid as a rock. Don't remember ever cussing it. I do remember saying "Damn the cost of having #3 repaired on these cranks only to have it happen again and who knows when"
So...makes sense now?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Very cool stuff.I'm still a little surprised at the weight of your old set up,440 lbs.even with the bottle and arm but it is what it is.My 91 600,which starts out the same as the 900,was 390,1/4 tank,race fairings.I would love to remove weight off mine but I've discovered its the most expensive mod. after a while.Once the balancers are out she'll spin up faster.
Who or what is Speedtech?

Race buddy of mine used to run a 96 900,ate shift forks and other things,always breaking,couldn't never figure why my 600 never broke anything,hell it saw 3 times the track time.
He did go 9.75 on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah 440 is VERY fat but scales were supposed to be certified. Whoever asked about speedtech, it's next nitrous system I'm going with. They are expensive but I seen firsthand how much better they are over NOS.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I love the project and wish you the best with it.
Got a queation for you...
Will you have to redo the header or is there enough wheel clearance?
Looks kinda close in the picture.
Can't wait to see the finished project and hear how it runs.
Hank

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Partsguy, they were notorious for tranny trouble (mostly 2nd gear though). I had R&D cut mine and never had bit of trouble out of it last 7 years. Hank, yeah it's kinda close but not as bad as it looks in pics. I'll try and get rough measurement for you.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts