Honda CBR XX Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
@cbrpaul the chrome cleaner that @exxelent recommended is called "Blue Job ". I was skeptical but the results (as shown by my pictures) speak for themselves..
Take a look on youtube for more proof..

·
Registered
404 Posts
found it now on the bay, never had head of it , mostly we use solvol autosol from germany but ill have to try it out as it sure seems an amazing product
question: leaves no visible scratches or abrasion?
paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
@cbrpaul leaves nothing.. I'm very impressed with the results. you apply it with the 15mm by 100mm included piece of soft "felt like" material and then polish off with an old t-shirt or microfibre cloth i wrapped the applicator cloth round a wide carpenter's pencil for a little more pressure and still no scratches.. good luck mate.. you won't look back..

Right gents.. to close this topic out as promised.. I've been out Saturday, Sunday and Monday covering somewhere in the region of 150 - 180 miles and the bike is purring along nicely. So fingers crossed between my hands and your knowledge the root cause found.. and I feel much more confident in my understanding of the BB's system.

Cheers to all involved 🍺

PROBLEM FIXED !!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I got as far as the plugs were out.... still reading...... but....... put a new set in now that you are at that stage...... it can be possible the old plugs have gone out of resistance...... in any case new plugs now because it's such a big dig to get down there again if they are too old. The boys can tell you the type to buy at reasonable cost.

I'll have my coffee and get back to the saga shortly....... oops I see the problem is fixed...

Good news.....(y)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Aaaahhthat's better..... :coffee:...... 20c worth on the "run up to temp" comment the 'garage' guy made to the OP......

I haven't been riding my BB for the past year (badly worn hip waiting for surgery), so I run it up until the fans cut in at 100C and then watch it idle the temps back down to 94C where the fans cut off. I also pump the fork oil and squeeze the rear brakes while working up and down the gears (not all at the same time....:rolleyes:).

I do this to circulate the oil and coolant (open thermostat) and keep BB in good working order.... usually twice a month. It also keeps moisture out of oil/pipes/etc while BB cools down in my warm dry brick garage. If I think of it, I plug my C-Tek charger in for 1 night to replace the volts I have drained doing the 10min garage GP.

The garage guy may have been thinking of the fast idle wax piston thingy when he implied you should run it up to temp..... maybe he was thinking 'up to temp' was when the fast idle mechanism drops the revs back to normal idle instead of when the fans activate. Otherwise it's a myth..... but a good ride is certainly the best option.

I don't wait long when going for a ride..... I usually start a bike just before putting my gloves on (by then the fast idle has ended - but I don't always wait for it). I just ride off, taking it easy (it's a suburban road anyway, so no MotoGP start line take off into traffic/ped-Xing's/roundabouts etc). The oil is nicely warmed up by the time I reach the motorway entrance 7-10kms away.

PS I use Autosol/Goddards Glow on my SS pipes when they get chain oil splatter stains, and also on alloy parts when they go dull...... soft cloth, rub in, fast polish action and it sparkles :).

(y) Got a call from the hospital yesterday..... they have a spot on the operating table for me and my destroyed hip joint! Looks like I'm going in for a new CV joint next Thursday..... so if it goes well, maybe I'll be able to fit onto my BB again in a couple of months :D.

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Well wishes on the surgery Dave. Hope you bounce back quickly and your birds wings open again

·
Daniel
24 Posts
Hi,
I know it's not a motorbike, but my VW Caddy stood for a long time and then, when I ran it , the manifold would glow bright red from heat after a few minutes, I had to run the choke to keep it running, meaning it not getting enough fuel, So I cleaned the carb, and now its perfect, I'm thinking 2 of your fuel injectors are clogged or are faulty, so 2 cylinders aren't getting fuel, you might then want to check your spark plugs , because if it runs so' lean it can melt your spark plugs, also run the bike and take out the spark plugs and see if 2 oft he plugs are dryer than the other 2.
That heating manifold can be more from a lean situation, than a over fueling problem.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts