Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Thinking plugs may have dried out. I'd just go out over the next few days and light her up and see if she behaves. You may have had a bad connection at the coils. Wouldn't be the first time trust me
They ain't in the best location to work on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
btw I must add.. that last year I had an instance where I had a bad misfire.. but it wouldn't start.. sent the bike to the garage who i brought the bike from, who basically did nothing and told me to come pick it up.. give it some good quality petrol and give it a good blast. which I did.. and it seemed to be ok for the rest of the year.. with me feeding it shell vpower petrol for the remaining 3 or so months of the year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@beestoys I agree.. simply messing and reseating things may have made a slightly iffy connection a little better.. specially seeing as getting the plug leads out is a bit of a gentle wrestle putting it mildly..
I really have way too big hands to work on bikes... I should teach the wife.. and let her get on with it !

·
Super Moderator
12,520 Posts
Well you have a result there streetwiz and I can't say conclusively what the cause of your problem was.
I too suspect a coil connection may have been the cause (either loose or corrosion), nothing else has any 'logic' to it and as an engineer I like logical solutions. That said sometimes you never find out why a problem went away and just have to accept that if it reoccurs you know where to look.
FWIW the loom connectors to the coils should be a tight fit, they snap into place (the insulators on the terminals almost cover the base of the coil terminal) and I can imagine if one of these cables was pulling off you could have had the problem that you were experiencing, 2 cylinders dropped and not one that would suggest to me an HT lead issue …… but that is speculation.

Personally I don't think it is a case of the plugs 'drying out'. I have only ever come across 2 motors where the plugs have got comprehensively wet but on each occasion I have tried to bring the wet plugs back to life and failed. Manual/chemical cleaning didn't work, neither did heat. I remember one poster here had success with heat, I failed.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
I actually had this same scenario earlier this year. Was under the tank doing my 6000 maintenance and had unplugged the coil for 1/4. Because I'm at 197,000 miles. So rubber bits are a bit tough. I had thought I seated the terminal. But in fact had slid the the side of it. Took a while before it manifested itself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I must say I did notice that when reconnecting the spade connectors to the back of the coils.. they did prefer to not go into the center of the spade in favour of going to the side when fitting them in situ, so instead, I connected them when I could actually see where they were going then bolted them back to the airbox afterward.

As a test, I fired the bike up without the 1&4 coil fitted with any cables. and the same lumpy "misfiring" sound returned.. plugged the cables back on and it went away, so fingers crossed that's the cause of my problem.

I'm hoping to get the bird out this weekend.. we have a car place just half a mile away that stocks the plugs.. so if the problem returns I shall be picking some plugs up as a first step and I've found a place that can get a coil on a next day delivery.. so that would be my step 2 if I get cold pipes again.

I shall update this after a reasonable ride out later today.. or tomorrow.
Thanks for all your input into this, it has been invaluable.

·
Registered
354 Posts
could it simply be you had the wring leads on the right cylinders.? and now all is well?
if it aint broke dont fix it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
@cbrpaul haven't moved any of the leads.. only the plugs.. obviously, I've pulled them about to get them out the sockets etc which would have moved the contact patch for the electrical connections a little.. so that's the only thing that explains things (as @beestoys said) to a logical result.

well I've put the girl fully back together, which given the amount of time I've spent with a screwdriver and nut t-spinner this last week didn't take long.
Fired her up, ran her to full temp when the fan comes on.. and then allowed it to cool fully and then repeated the exercise, and she's still purring like a big cat..
So tomorrow I shall get her out on the road..and see what happens.. (fingers crossed).

I do however have plugs ordered (they'll be needed at some point so will keep them in a dry storage container until that time.. and a K&N recharge kit for the air filter. which should all be here next week.

I'll keep you posted..

On a slight side note.. as I mentioned, the bike displayed a misfire at the tail end of last year which i sent it to the garage i brought it from and they did nothing apart from start it when they had time in the workshop. Told me there was nothing wrong now and it could have just been some dirty fuel.. they then asked do i start it and stop it without it being run up to temp.. the answer i gave was yes.. as i live on a hill.. so pushing over 230 kilos up a 15-20 degree incline wasn't easy so I start it to move it.. this got the usual mechanics intake of air through pursed lips and they said that's not good.. you should always run it to temp..
I've done this with my carb'd fireblade for the last 10 years.. without an issue.. however the bird is the first fuel injected bike I've owned.

So what do you guys think ? myth or mileage in their comment ?

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,820 Posts
Do you mean running it up to temperature before riding or just moving it 20 yds? Myth. I have hundreds of thousands miles on bikes. I start them and go. 1st mile I go easy and then go. On the old carbed bikes same. Slowly adjust the choke off over 3 to four 4 miles away and choke is full off by then.
I had a coil go out on my 84 wing and it was a real lumpy idle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The shops comment was if i move it 20 yards.. leave it running to get up to temp before turning it off again.. seemed a little odd to be honest as I've never done that with my blade..
as for riding.. yes.. i ride for about 5 mins before letting go of the ponies :)

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,820 Posts
The shops comment was if i move it 20 yards.. leave it running to get up to temp before turning it off again.. seemed a little odd to be honest as I've never done that with my blade..
as for riding.. yes.. i ride for about 5 mins before letting go of the ponies :)
The only worry would be if it is very cold outside and you have it stored and you start it up and move it and it is only warmed up halfway and then you shut it down. That may cause moisture to be driven out of the oil if it absorbed some while sitting for a while in storage. If you start it in winter around freezing temperatures or below then yes. Run it long enough to full temp and longer so any moisture is driven out of the engine and oil. This prevents condensation on the inside of your engine as it cools back down to ambient. If you ride it enough to prevent moisture absorption then nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Evening all..
So today as mentioned.. was the big day. ( as @fizzy suggested Italian tune up with a fresh tank of gas )
I'm lucky where I am in the midlands (UK) in as much as I have a lot of varied road types.. so I started the bike up and waited until I could hear the rev start to lower as the engine warmed up.. I then set off on some 30mph roads to warm the engine and tyres up.. then progressed onto 40's 50's and then 60's.. the bike was at 95 degrees when I got to a 70 so i decided to open her up a little more (72.. honest !!)
I finally headed home on the motorway (freeway for our friends over the pond) and despite the strong wind rode at a steady speed holding the revs up slightly over 5k to see if there was any hint of a misfire whilst every now and again checking if the pipe by my right foot was glowing.

Got home.. and it was all good no glowing exhausts and not a hint of a misfire !! I'm over the moon. I am truly thankful to all that contributed and know that I shall be ever in your debt. so I raise a glass to you all especially @beestoys and @TheDuck 🍺

@exxelent thanks for the tip on that blue job chrome cleaner.. it may look like an illegal drug and god knows probably costs the same.. but after the bike behaved today.. i sat down on the floor for a couple of hours and polished the cans and pipework.. and I gotta say I was skeptical.. but now I'm a true believer.
Check out the before and after pics of the same can.. the join before it goes into the silencer was the bit that was where it was glowing.. hence why i was skeptical..

It's amazing the transformation for a first go. I think I'll be enlisting the help of a polishing mop next time though to save on the elbow grease !

Now she's all clean and running right.. the wife and I are going to go for a cruise about for the first time this year due to the lockdown.. i was supposed to be taking the bird to the isle of man after all the TT madness had gone.. but alas that has all been squashed thanks to covid-19.. so I'm thinking a ride down and around Cornwall instead later in the year.

A final note on Monday to hopefully close this issue off as successfully resolved.

Have a great weekend all..

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
You are very welcome good sir. You and the misses be safe and enjoy your wind therapy

·
Registered
354 Posts
Evening all..
So today as mentioned.. was the big day. ( as @fizzy suggested Italian tune up with a fresh tank of gas )
I'm lucky where I am in the midlands (UK) in as much as I have a lot of varied road types.. so I started the bike up and waited until I could hear the rev start to lower as the engine warmed up.. I then set off on some 30mph roads to warm the engine and tyres up.. then progressed onto 40's 50's and then 60's.. the bike was at 95 degrees when I got to a 70 so i decided to open her up a little more (72.. honest !!)
I finally headed home on the motorway (freeway for our friends over the pond) and despite the strong wind rode at a steady speed holding the revs up slightly over 5k to see if there was any hint of a misfire whilst every now and again checking if the pipe by my right foot was glowing.

Got home.. and it was all good no glowing exhausts and not a hint of a misfire !! I'm over the moon. I am truly thankful to all that contributed and know that I shall be ever in your debt. so I raise a glass to you all especially @beestoys and @TheDuck 🍺

@exxelent thanks for the tip on that blue job chrome cleaner.. it may look like an illegal drug and god knows probably costs the same.. but after the bike behaved today.. i sat down on the floor for a couple of hours and polished the cans and pipework.. and I gotta say I was skeptical.. but now I'm a true believer.
Check out the before and after pics of the same can.. the join before it goes into the silencer was the bit that was where it was glowing.. hence why i was skeptical..

hello can you confirm what is the name of the chome cleaner? " blue job???" it seems to be pretty amazing stuff
View attachment 129371
It's amazing the transformation for a first go. I think I'll be enlisting the help of a polishing mop next time though to save on the elbow grease !

Now she's all clean and running right.. the wife and I are going to go for a cruise about for the first time this year due to the lockdown.. i was supposed to be taking the bird to the isle of man after all the TT madness had gone.. but alas that has all been squashed thanks to covid-19.. so I'm thinking a ride down and around Cornwall instead later in the year.

A final note on Monday to hopefully close this issue off as successfully resolved.

Have a great weekend all..

21 - 40 of 48 Posts