Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2000 bird. I could see it had been dropped at standstill at some point as the right side fairing looked to have been painted and there were some scuffs on the exhaust. It wasn't until I got it home when I noticed how much further out the right hand side exhaust was! I have measured from the tyre to the hanger and it's 10mm further out on the right. I am guessing it's the hanger itself which is slightly twisted. I have taken a look with the seat off and I can't see anything that looks bad, so I suspect it's a subtle bend that's purshing the exhaust out. The right hand seat fairing has a small protrusion which doesn't quite line up with it's corresponding hole in the metal hanger. I see ebay has some for £10 so I will try my luck, but wondered if anyone else had any thoughts?

bird.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fella. Someone else has managed this, but I would assume that the exhhaust would be pushed inwards and not outwards?

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Actually the right might be the good side. You need to measure between the can and the swing arm.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Actually just looked at the pic full screen. and if you look you'll see the tail section is out in comparison both the cowl and the undertail relations with the taillight

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmmm, something is wrong...... don't bend anything until you have sussed the cause. The pipes can be moved around a lot by loosening all the bolts (on the clamps at the collector box end) and just trying to see if it has been poorly installed.

The photo is hard to be sure.... but it looks like a bent subframe........ best to identify the source before bending stuff and adding to the problem. Put it on the centre stand, make sure it's level (measure each swing arm side to ground) and string line the front wheel straight, then measure handlebars etc etc looking for what is bent and what is not.

Subframes were easily bent by overweight passengers on early models and yours looks like it has been pushed out to the right...... but the bike is on the side stand so the pic may be misleading me.

The left pipe looks to be correctly installed so the right can should match it...... is the tail lamp off centre/twisted?

Gotta go..... MotoGP replay is on.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I have checked everything is straight, I have measured the hangers and they are all straight too. Looks like it's the right end can and just needs loosening and twisting a bit. I think the end can metal mount is also slightly bent too.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Yes if the bike was layed over it could be. It's easy enough to check off the other can and fix. Chances are though it's just mounted out of alignment. The can has a rubber bushing on the upper and it can easily be twisted at the junction to the y pipe coming out of the collector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts