Honda CBR XX Forum banner

Do you think Honda will come out with their own Super Tourer and/ or revive the Blackbird name?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like every manufacturer is coming out with a super tourer right now, with nothing to show from Honda.
My question to the forum:
Do you think Honda will come out with their own model and/ or revive the Blackbird name?

I personally hope so because as awesome as my Bird is, she's up there in age.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,463 Posts
It would be interesting if they did.
I think the 2022 Busa looks like a modern Bird. They got rid of the rounded bulbous ugly shape and to me looks real close to the bird.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't think Honda have ever paid attention to "customer requirements" and I doubt they ever will, which is a great shame.
Blackbird owners have waited decades for the release of an updated Blackbird. But we've waited in vain.

Does anyone remember all those MCN announcements and pictorial representations of "The New Blackbird" that Honda were
about to release, back in the day? The only response from Honda was to announce that the CBR1100XX would be phased out
to be replaced by a "new, exciting breed of sports tourer".

Oh, how we laughed when the VFR1200 was presented as a replacement for the best tourer ever built. ...Ever.

No. No new Blackbird from Honda.

It would take a miracle for that to happen, I think. 😞

....There's only Father Christmas for me to believe in, now. 😔

Signed: Heartbroken 'Bird Owner. UK. 😪

·
Registered
405 Posts
Why would anyone need/want a "new" BB? The original would still do most everything a "new" one would. Can you imagine what it would look like given the state of today's styling fads?
Thanks, but I will stick to my "old" one. Still one of the best looking, best performing, best bang for the buck, bikes ever made.

If they do come out with a "new" BB, it will that in name only.

·
Registered
1998 Blackbird
55 Posts
I don't think Honda have ever paid attention to "customer requirements" and I doubt they ever will, which is a great shame.
Blackbird owners have waited decades for the release of an updated Blackbird. But we've waited in vain.

Does anyone remember all those MCN announcements and pictorial representations of "The New Blackbird" that Honda were
about to release, back in the day? The only response from Honda was to announce that the CBR1100XX would be phased out
to be replaced by a "new, exciting breed of sports tourer".

Oh, how we laughed when the VFR1200 was presented as a replacement for the best tourer ever built. ...Ever.

No. No new Blackbird from Honda.

It would take a miracle for that to happen, I think. 😞

....There's only Father Christmas for me to believe in, now. 😔

Signed: Heartbroken 'Bird Owner. UK. 😪

·
Registered
382 Posts
Why would anyone need/want a "new" BB? The original would still do most everything a "new" one would.
Yes - I agree with you in spirit: but imagine a lighter (and, therefore, faster) Blackbird, with modern lights and electrics, adjustable front and rear suspension and de-linked brakes, all put together using today’s innovative production technology. Imagine a swing-arm re-designed to be more aesthetically appealing and some minor, cosmetic tweaks to the plastics (taking great care to retain the bike’s aerodynamic efficiency). It wouldn’t have to be a Blackbird “in name only”, it could be a variation on a still-very-beautiful theme.

As XXGuy mentioned, look at the small external changes made to the ‘Busa, over the years, that have made it just a li-ittle bit easier to look at.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

If they do come out with a "new" BB, it will that in name only.
To me, a Fireblade still looks like a Fireblade, so I’m pretty sure that Honda could make sympathetic developments to the ‘Bird without destroying its identity.
As you said, the Blackbird is “Still one of the best looking, best performing, best bang for the buck, bikes ever made”.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

Can you imagine what it would look like given the state of today's styling fads?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

🤢 🤮

...I think that says it all about Honda's continued "drift" away from the sublime and into the realms of mediocrity, as far as the Blackbird is concerned.

Anyway...'Nuff said.

...Think I'll have to go for a lie down, now... 🙄🤓😅😂

·
Registered
1998 Blackbird
55 Posts
Honda were at Croft circuit many moons ago trying to promote the all new, singing and dancing VFR1200. So three of us took up the test ride option, two of us were Birdies, the other a GSXer.

On arriving back at the dealer after the test ride, sales man came up all smiles till we told him it wasnt any where near to being able to replace a Bird, his reply was "you Bird owners are all the same" too true mate, we know a good bike when we see it and that's why we still have our Birds and the GSXer is a convert as well.

Honda missed a trick by ceasing Bird production and wont admit it therefore they will never bring it back.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
In 2007 , Yamaha asked many of my VMax Gen I friends about their preferences for the new and exciting VMax Gen II. We asked for more power , better suspension , bigger gas tank , 17 -18" wheels and sport bike rubber choices , chain drive for less weight , single side swing arm , bag options for touring, etc . They delivered with power , suspension and wheels , which I believe were already in the design build on the drawing table. But they did not listen to our other requests , and " did it their way ."
I believe Honda would do the same. Keep the name , add a extra " X " or " II " or " S " , upgrade the power and suspension and call it a day. I bought my '99 completely stock , and it is more bike than I could ever exploit. I later bought a fellow member's modified Silver '02 Bird with ZX-14 forks and wheels , Akropovic single performance exhaust with a 6 " swing arm extension and lots of little tidbits that make it a one of a kind Bird. I don't really need another one , even if offered , which I doubt will ever happen.

Attachments

·
Cougar
71 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fuel tank

it would be nice if Honda did do a 1300XX. I’d be the first in-line to buy one. But look at their range of bikes, it’s pretty sad. I’d say my next new purchase won’t be a Honda.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

For me, this is where the problems start. As I wrote previously: “…I’m pretty sure that Honda could make sympathetic developments to the ‘Bird without destroying its identity.”
All I see here are journalistic impressions of a sports bike with CBRXX stickers applied and a “VTEC” motor chucked in for (supposedly) “good measure”.

In my opinion, the Blackbird is greater than the sum of its parts. It deserves better than this.

… Guess I’ll just have ta keep a-dreamin’ ’n’ a-hopin’…:rolleyes: ;) :cool:

It seems like every manufacturer is coming out with a super tourer right now...
I'd appreciate a few pointers on this - been too busy moving and improving house the past coupla years. Who's doing what...?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hmmmm... Could we do our own poll here in the forum? List of upgrades to our BBs which might lure us to buy new? Someone with better familiarisation of such forum polls than me out there?

We all look at what we've mod'd and make an amalgamated list then vote on each element (5 option poll: must have, nice to have, neutral, don't want, hell no).

So a few thoughts e.g.
Performance: upside-down forks, front & rear pre-load, upgraded brakes, future proof emmissions (OMG electric version?), higher bhp, lower power to weight ratio. Turbo/ supercharger, rebore (1200-1300)
Safety: led lights/ projector Hid, ABS, TPMS, DRLs, wider mirrors, airhorn, hazard lights
Other upgraded tech: mosfet RR, ecu, ride by wire, digi dash, satnav integration, front/ rear cameras (else mounting points).
Wish list: longer fuel range/ fuel economy, cruise control, adjustable bars/ risers, heated grips, heated seat, adjustable foot pegs, lockings butw quick release luggage racks, aerodynamic luggage (similar to beetle bags consept), better (visible) clock, voltmeter, wifi & BT interface, flowing indicators.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hmmmm... Could we do our own poll here in the forum? List of upgrades to our BBs which might lure us to buy new? Someone with better familiarisation of such forum polls than me out there?

We all look at what we've mod'd and make an amalgamated list then vote on each element (5 option poll: must have, nice to have, neutral, don't want, hell no).

So a few thoughts e.g.
Performance: upside-down forks, front & rear pre-load, upgraded brakes, future proof emmissions (OMG electric version?), higher bhp, lower power to weight ratio. Turbo/ supercharger, rebore (1200-1300)
Safety: led lights/ projector Hid, ABS, TPMS, DRLs, wider mirrors, airhorn, hazard lights
Other upgraded tech: mosfet RR, ecu, ride by wire, digi dash, satnav integration, front/ rear cameras (else mounting points).
Wish list: longer fuel range/ fuel economy, cruise control, adjustable bars/ risers, heated grips, heated seat, adjustable foot pegs, lockings butw quick release luggage racks, aerodynamic luggage (similar to beetle bags consept), better (visible) clock, voltmeter, wifi & BT interface, flowing indicators.
Sorry, Bro, but it’s all been said before… :cry:

Tire Font Camera Screenshot Wheel

down to the tiniest detail, it seems. (Just scroll down to the bottom of the page if you haven't, already.)

The only person Honda seems ever to have listened to, when it comes to bikes, is Marc Marquez.

The rest of the world can go hang…

I think most ‘Bird-owners would welcome an updated CBRXX1100 - but it’s just wishful thinking on our part.

I don't think we’ll ever see another like it. :cry:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
7 Posts
While I love the bike, I think deteriorating roads around the world are also something to be addressed. The Bird is awesome in its element, but if the roads go crapola, so does the stability (of mine at least) and my confidence. All sport bikes have always been that way to me just due the aggressive steering head angles... all you have to do is look at the large number of 'adventure touring' bikes currently on the market... sales of those bikes (V-stroms and such) are up because road quality is down. (As an aside, a while ago I had a v-strom 650... was a fun bike due to the suspension on trash roads, but had very odd and intolerable wind buffeting issues around my head, so I sold it.)

I'd love to see a Bird sequel but if its done, I doubt be a name revisit. "The new and improved Honda Dream 1300!"

Yeah... not that either... :LOL:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Honda built the VFR1200 to take over the BB Sport tourer market, and lost their shirt on that venture - too, errr, polarising styling.......;)

Most manufacturers are concentrating on the adventure sports touring market though Honda have the NT1100 based on the Africa Twin, but with road styling, coming soon, but it's no super Blackbird more a Vstrom alternative.

Also, I've read articles explaining that younger buyers aren't attracted to motorcycles.....there's only old buggers with money and jobs, buying big horsepower bikes.....a dying market :eek:.

There is a focus on mid capacity bikes (800cc) as they are still affordable, but the future is bleak with the younger crowd heading to electric cars or driverless taxi's as they perceive motorcycles too dangerous or expensive or not practical transport in the work from home bold new future.......scary thought!??

So no back to the future Blackbird - best find some comfort and horsepower in the adventure sports market while it lasts.....or keep that BB in top order...

(y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a focus on mid capacity bikes (800cc) as they are still affordable, but the future is bleak with the younger crowd heading to electric cars or driverless taxi's as they perceive motorcycles too dangerous or expensive or not practical transport in the work from home bold new future.......scary thought!?
Possibly a new electric superbike from Honda? The ZapBird? :geek:

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,728 Posts
The new suzy gt1000 is the closest to an evolution of the bird at the moment. I dont mind it. Gets some good writeup too. Honda did a subaru. Completely lost it styling wise on some models

·
Registered
544 Posts
I recall Suzuki "High Abuser" owners cheekily informing me that 'Hayabusa's' were a bird of prey that often eat humble 'Black Birds' in the wild natural world.

So I doubt Honda will ever make that mistake again :LOL:......free kick to Suzuki......(referee blows whistle)..

Reactions: beestoys
1 - 20 of 33 Posts