Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas and New Year.

Doing a few jobs on the bike, new chain/sprocket set, oil/filtre change.

When removing the clutch slave cylinder, there was some strange sort of crystalline deposits. I think there may be a slight leak, so I've decided to rebuild it while it's off the bike, might do the master cylinder as well.

So my first question, before I get into the job, will ordinary circlip pliers do the job and is there anything else I'll need?

And then just a strange thought.

While changing the oil and checking the level, what is the correct way to check the oil level. Is it with the dip stick fully screwed in, or should you use it like on a car where it is literally a 'dip stick'.

Thanks in advance for answers to my silly questions :)

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,398 Posts
The way to check oil is in the owners manual. I believe all three of my Hondas say to not screw it in.
If it was working fine then I would clean up the area and maybe even lube it a bit. Just think it took years for that to leak out so slowly that it never dripped but dried up. Main thing is to change out the fluid every 2 years or 3 years at the most to prevent sludge from forming and causing problems.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply XXguy (y)

The slave cylinder looks like its probably on its last legs and the kit is ordered now so I'll do it before it goes back on. Then of course clean brake fluid :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I usually use some fine 00 steel wool and wd40 to clean out the clutch master if there is any crud on the piston sleeve, just dont dig in to it, your piston seal oring still has to seal. And second that about dip stick, unscrew it and let it sit on top of the threads, not screwed back in. Just make sure bike is level, if you can both wheels on the floor as well to check oil level.

·
BirdDog
584 Posts
Hi all.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas and New Year.

Doing a few jobs on the bike, new chain/sprocket set, oil/filtre change.

When removing the clutch slave cylinder, there was some strange sort of crystalline deposits. I think there may be a slight leak, so I've decided to rebuild it while it's off the bike, might do the master cylinder as well.

So my first question, before I get into the job, will ordinary circlip pliers do the job and is there anything else I'll need?

And then just a strange thought.

While changing the oil and checking the level, what is the correct way to check the oil level. Is it with the dip stick fully screwed in, or should you use it like on a car where it is literally a 'dip stick'.

Thanks in advance for answers to my silly questions :)
For over 150,000 miles in my ‘97 carbie; when changing the oil and filter I add 4 qts…period. No issues (and I still don’t burn oil; 10w40 Mobil 4T every 4,000 miles). I screw in the dipstick to check oil level for what it’s worth! Filter KN-303 or OEM Honda.

·
Registered
481 Posts
For over 150,000 miles in my ‘97 carbie; when changing the oil and filter I add 4 qts…period. No issues (and I still don’t burn oil; 10w40 Mobil 4T every 4,000 miles). I screw in the dipstick to check oil level for what it’s worth! Filter KN-303 or OEM Honda.
:LOL:...... same here funwith..... for my 05FI Bird I do it on the center stand...... I also dump the whole 4ltr bottle in, which makes it 100cc overfull :eek:....:LOL: - no problems in 16yrs and 129k kms, burns no oil, just like when new and doesn't have that bloated overfull oil drag on crank feeling.

As for the dip method....... Owners could test them all after doing an oil and filter change. Then their 'full' level is displayed on their dip stick..... which ever method is used.

(y)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts