Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Section between my thumb and finger. Weld in a straight piece instead of the bend and you should be done. Here's another angle of the section you'd cut out.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Just mount the rack with the pieces cut then mock em in tack them in place pull the bracket and finish weld it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ah you're talking about a cut, replace, and weld job. I would have to see who near me can help do something like that, but you're right, that shouldn't take too much effort with the right machinery. Do you think structurally, it would be sound enough to last (given the amount of forces a loaded case on that moving at speed could have)? I guess I'll talk to my mechanic buddy and see what they say.

Thanks for all of your help, it's super helpful!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Yes if they mig weld the tube with an inner sleeve it'll be stronger than the main tube and add very little extra weight. If you want give me a call and I can explain it very quickly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Cheers all,

Thinking outside the square...... might it be easier to extend the muffler by fabricating a piece of exhaust tube, to extend the muffler rearwards so it might clear the Wingrack II footpeg bracket?

The mufflers could stick out bit more at the back and still look ok (?). From the photo's I think the Wingrack side plates will just clear the cans and no heat shielding would be necessary - but a bit of heat tape is easy to apply if you feel it's needed.

The BB specific mounting brackets are way different to the messy Magnum kit in the pic.... there is the tube section in Bees pics to the peg mount and a big tubular piece that curves over the ducktail - it bolts to the grab rail mounts. It's very stable and can handle heavy loads - I've exceeded the nanny state limits many times with my 40Ltr E41 cases. They have never moved or caused any wobbles and my passenger used the cases as comfy hand grab points..... a 50Ltr top case is ok so long as it's not overloaded, but a smaller top case is easier on fuel economy - but you will need to enhance the suspension to cope with max load and 2 up riding as the stock damping is too soft and under sprung (and not easily adjusted for spring preload).

Givi racks and cases are very robust and strong and totally waterproof, but they weigh a lot empty (eg each case is 5kg and a 50Ltr top case is 7kg). The Wingrack weighs about 5kg from memory..... mine is in pieces so I can easily take a pic if you need more detail. I used to put 10kg in each side case and kept half the top case empty for stashing gloves etc at :coffee: stops.

One other option, if still available, might be to look at the Shad website...... they have nice lighter weight generic kits that might fit the BB...... Shad is usually 2kg per case lighter, but not as robust as Givi. 36Ltr side cases will be narrower than 40ltr Givi cases - mine were 110cm wiiide on my BB..... now that was an issue in traffic.... but not in country areas. Most side cases are around 1m overall width, but the flared tail of the BB makes them sit wider.

(y) The other option might be soft luggage..... not as secure as cases, or waterproof, but heaps lighter - though soft bags need a rack to hold them off the bodywork/mufflers.

PS I'm sure I've seen pics of another Givi system on BB's.... it was a tube style rack rather than a "Wing" style rack...... prob has a p/no 'PL.......' - I had one on my Caponord 1200. It is a lot lighter than a Wingrack II..... which is not worth $350 used.... so keep looking ;).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts