Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is likely a long shot but I'm the new owner of a 2002 Blackbird that I want to convert more to a weekender touring bike. The bike came with Renegade high-mount exhaust which sounds great however I'm unsure if I can fit any sort of luggage system on the bike now. The only thing I know for sure that would work is a Givi top case rack as it's not affected by the exhaust system, however if I want the full kit, I'd have to go with SW Motech system (which I can't find new or used right now) or a Wingrack 2 from Givi. Does anyone have any experience fitting either to the BB with a custom exhaust such as the Renegade system? I imagine the high-mount limits the open space needed for the Wingrack 2 to mount to the passenger footpeg bolts but can't say for sure.

I have the opportunity to buy a somewhat used wingrack 2 system with 3 Givi bags (set up for a different motorcycle, but I found the adapter kit online for the BB). all for around $350 or I buy a top case only system new (can't find the givi top box I want used anywhere) for around $450 including topcase and BB rack kit.

Looking to do this ASAP so would love any insight! Pictures for any eyeballing opinions included.

Best,
Vipin

Attachments

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
We need a tail shot. Thinking you have enough clearance with that system tucked in like it is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here ya go! Not the best shot but gives you a better idea of how tucked-in the pipes are.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The Wingrack mounts to the lower rear peg mounts. Then is supported by the upper grab rail. I'll have to do a quick check but the only real issue I can suspect might be your uplink pipes clearing that bracket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right! That's exactly my fear is the mid-pipes not clearing it. Lucky for me, the guy selling the kit is just a few blocks down the road, so going to test it out in an hour and report back. If it fits, I found another full kit in Vermont in Silver that would be perfect for my BB.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Yes I do enjoy my set. Once you install it the first time make sure everything is loose. Towel the tail section so the wrack doesn't get scratched. Once it's situated and cinched down. Future installs should only require loosening the 6 bolts to pull and install. Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a tough time figuring out if the kit would fit since he had the wingrack completely assembled and specifically for his early edition Honda Magna. I took a pic of the wingrack if it should help.

Do you think it's worth it to either A. get rid of my renegade and go back to stock (added expense or someone might be willing to trade) or find a fabricator to help with just that specific mounting location? Or just stick with a top box and put the rest of the kit on the Hornet.

Thanks,
Vipin

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
i'd be concerned with the front of the can interfering with the front lower mount of the wing rack.

i bought the side racks from this thread;

note the almost straight line back from the mount point by the passenger peg. besides this, i don't see issues. the cans are inside of the bodywork.

if you can't fit side cases, go for the biggest tail box and an expandable tank bag. not ideal for weight distribution but, the bike still handles fine.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Brown
Let me mock up my rack and see if I can pull a measurement for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'd be concerned with the front of the can interfering with the front lower mount of the wing rack.

i bought the side racks from this thread;

note the almost straight line back from the mount point by the passenger peg. besides this, i don't see issues. the cans are inside of the bodywork.

if you can't fit side cases, go for the biggest tail box and an expandable tank bag. not ideal for weight distribution but, the bike still handles fine.
Do you know what these racks are? They look like the SW Motech but I can't find them anywhere! They definitely seem like they'd fit better than the wingrack. On the flipside, could I just take the arms that attach to the footpeg and switch them to the outside of the wingrack and also to the outside of the footpeg bolt - kind of a hack but structurally, it shouldn't be too different. I found another stellar deal for a wingrack2 + top case/side cases + blackbird adapter kit (the cases are even silver matched for my bike, I guess the guy was a former BB owner, unsure if he's on this forum or not) for not much money and if I can get this set-up in the next few weeks, I'll basically have a transportation method to leave NYC over the next 4 months anytime I want (even for extended periods of time!)

Thanks,
Vipin

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Well damn this thing just dropped the whole post. Ok let me retype this. Looks like it will work for you but your going to have to fab new lower brackets. Flipping them won't work they are designed to flush mount to. Specific side so flipping them will put the pipe in the way. Also looking at this setup with the cases and rack on you are probably going to have to make a heat shield. With system mounted the pipes become shielded. So heat can't radiate out. Moving should allow it to shed but standing could be an issue. The shields could be very simple just sheet metal covers attached with hose clamps. That would allow you to pull them and keep them with the system when you're not running the rack. Another possibility is find a set of carbon fiber cans and replace the metal ones. This would reduce the heat signature as well.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
If you moved the lower point outboard I suspect you'll have your clearance.

·
Registered
266 Posts
sorry, i don't see any markings on them and never did figure out who made 'em.

on modifying the wing racks, i'd think it would depend upon being able to push those lower mounts out about an inch or two on each side. should be able to fit longer bolts to clear the front of the cans.

i used to use a set of soft saddlebags with some masking tape over the bodywork to prevent scuffing. i often wondered about fitting something like these to provide additional support. never found anything off the shelf but, i'm sure something could be fabricated.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, thanks Beestoys - this pictures definitely prove that the lower mount arms would not fit on my bike given the exhaust. I wouldn't even know where to start to get something like that fabricated - any ideas? Ideally getting something made that looks and functions like ptxyz's racks would be ideal.

In terms of heat shielding, the cans haven't been too hot to the touch (assuming they're already shielded a bit given their placement on the bike, but would you recommend using heat tape or something along those lines? Trying to minimize more added weight if I get these cases on there.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Brown you'd just need to buy the existing rack. Then source tubing of the same size. Then section the existing mount taking out the bend that moves it in towards the center of the bike. That way you'll keep both of the mounting ends an mounting frame brackets.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts