Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
No not needing 100% (heck I'm mounting it behind a "lightly" smoked screen… 25% loss?) but other avoidable losses are, erm, best avoided.

Fyi smoked screen in part to hide the presence of the solar panel, in part to maintain the bikes looks.

Thought about my top box but it's not always attached plus I've got an extra rack on the lid anyway.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Great idea and could do the job - only thing I see as a problem is deciding how much charge you want in the battery, as I am sure you know the battery voltage varies with state of charge usually in the range 12.2v to 12.7v so if you set the voltage to a fixed 12.6v you will always have a battery but not necessarily full which should be good enough to keep your battery with a nominal charge for starting but not fully charged, once 12.6 is reached charging effective stops but is maintained

as for weatherproofing - buy another screen and laminate the cells between them and seal

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks Geoff,

This is one of the reasons I went for a MPPT controller (as opposed to s Simple type or a PWM type). https://www.elprocus.com/solar-charge-controller/

Apparently MPPT charging algorithms are better at maxing out the battery capacity esp during the final topping up phase of the process. Still, differing ones have differing dynamics. I'm very much learning as I go along esp as MPPT seem more common in much more powerful panel arrays (200W not 5W).

I like the double screen sandwich idea (I do have spares to hand. I'll have to have a play!)

Cheers Mallow1

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hiya Lovin,

Ideas?
VVivid vinyl(Or any other good quality wrap) would be your best bet! 1 layer of clear and your good! 2 layers for that particular application would be overkill.(JMHO) And getting any air bubbles out are a snap! But if well laid the first time you should have minimal bubble/air pockets to deal with... Sandwiching is a good idea! absolutely SOLID BUT on the thick side and might look a little strange depending on how ya do it! With Vvivid not only can you seal but it's also see through and easy to work with, not messy and smelly like laminating! Nor "heavy and cumbersome" like another screen. Your ball!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
A thought mallow- you may need to be careful on the weight aspect as well- the screen hasn't got a lot of solid support and looks to rely heavily on the nosecone for support. I would be wary of putting too much extra load on it?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Lovin/ Kris,

Creative juices flowing guy!

To explore this futher:

1. Take the solar arrangement off as a oner and rest on top side of the screen (to maintain shape, top side of screen covered say in a barrier layer of some sort so next step won't bond to screen)

2. 1x layer of clear vinyl over the solar top side

3. Put that all back in place on the under side (to maintain shape). No barrier layer this time.

4. 1x layer of black vinyl to seal rear of cells and bond to screen (possibly using a modicum of optically clear glue applied in between the active solar areas (on the solar tops side gluing it to the screen underside). I'm considering that to help bond the central areas of the panel as vinyl will only do the edges unless you tell me the clear vinyl will melt and bond to the screen too).

Avoids the added weight & bulk of 2nd sandwich screen esp bearing in mind Kris's great point re the relative fragility of the nose cone and it's support for the screen. I suspect long term vibrational fatigue any well be an issue.

So using vinyl as Lovin says seals the unit, it's see through, easier to work with, not bulky nor messy and smelly.

Q: if I didn't use the black layer to bond to the underside how flexible and durable would the vinyl (clear-solar-black) sandwich be?

I ask as an alternative is to bond the underside with something more like a fabric (or extra layers of vinyl) to make the sandwich a sculpted "mat" which can be removed from the underside of the screen (possibly only temporarily while I move into the "on bike" test phase after the "off bike" testing is completed satisfactorily).

Downside of a mat (if flexible) would be fatigue cracking on the electrical strips wiring up each cell.

Thoughts welcome…

·
Registered
364 Posts
"unless you tell me the clear vinyl will melt and bond to the screen too"... Yes! It would. If you like U could "seal the edges of the clear with aluminum duct tape. Then cover aluminium with Black Vvivid vinyl. Vinyl is very durable. Good for 5 yrs if well taken care of.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok, it's looking like vinyl is a goers. I better get myself a heat gun and start practising. YouTube here I come!

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ok, it's looking like vinyl is a goers. I better get myself a heat gun and start practising. YouTube here I come!

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted.
:) What will help in your quest is having the right tools! Yeth! Heat gun, Exacto knife/blade, aluminum duct tape and a couple of small squeegees AND simple thin cotton gloves. At work! will post pics once home... For applying used the gloves and to firmly apply and remove bubbles use squeegee. For those rare bubbles U can't seem to either squeeze out or "Melt" it my applying direct heat then your only other alternative is to use a pin... Sparingly! If not worried that it won't be seen no prob. but if it will be seen (For other application besides your screen) barely pierce the bubble on the CORNER of the bubble. Piercing in the middle usually is very noticeable and hard to mask even after applying additional heat! Oh yes it WILL melt BUT you will see a small dot where it was pierced... AND you WILL burn a hole in your vinyl! Allll part of the learning process! Lol Heat to high? Gun to close? Or both! Or being distracted! Burned a hole once because I turned my head towards my ringing cel phone! Once U learn how to vinyl It's with U for life! Paint!? Blah! Who needs it! When U can vinyl it! Can save tons of $$$$!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts