Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's because we're all in various guises of lockdown atm and needed a project to keep occupied, but I find it amusing how many Aussies on here have bought Birds recently! Who's here? :p

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm here...... over here...... but I didn't just buy my BB, had it since new in 05 :D.

It's still as good as a newie, but dealers wouldn't trade it as it had in their speak, "too many kms"....... so I figured it was worth more to me as a back up bike than a paltry $2k in cash........ and that's probably why a number of guys have just bought BB's...... they are great quality, yet really really cheap (good for a buyer, bad news for a seller).

I nearly sold mine in 2020 after I had hip replacement surgery and found I couldn't get my leg over, errr, i mean, up onto the peg. But I stuck with it and now I can get my feet up and the BB feels great to ride (I have 2" helibars so it's even more comfy than stock).

I've kept mine in 100% condition as it's easier to maintain than to rebuild, and comparing it to my 2021 V4Multistrada, I have to wonder why I spent nearly $40k on a bike, when I already had one that goes as well and uses less fuel :rolleyes:. (I guess I needed the gear counter and the radar cruise control...... that's my excuse anyway......).

Cheers from Brisbane Qld.

(y)

Reactions: deadman

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm here...... over here...... but I didn't just buy my BB, had it since new in 05 :D.

It's still as good as a newie, but dealers wouldn't trade it as it had in their speak, "too many kms"....... so I figured it was worth more to me as a back up bike than a paltry $2k in cash........ and that's probably why a number of guys have just bought BB's...... they are great quality, yet really really cheap (good for a buyer, bad news for a seller).

I nearly sold mine in 2020 after I had hip replacement surgery and found I couldn't get my leg over, errr, i mean, up onto the peg. But I stuck with it and now I can get my feet up and the BB feels great to ride (I have 2" helibars so it's even more comfy than stock).

I've kept mine in 100% condition as it's easier to maintain than to rebuild, and comparing it to my 2021 V4Multistrada, I have to wonder why I spent nearly $40k on a bike, when I already had one that goes as well and uses less fuel :rolleyes:. (I guess I needed the gear counter and the radar cruise control...... that's my excuse anyway......).

Cheers from Brisbane Qld.

(y)

Hi Dave, do you remember how much was new BB back in 2005, thanks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ahhh, yes, those were the days.........

BB's had a $19k list price, before on roads, then Honda discontinued them in the US in 2003 (I think) and Honda Aus dropped the price to $16k on the road........

Great bike great price at the time....... and look at the prices for Hayabusa's and ZZR1400's now..... :eek:

Progress....... but I suppose giant leaps have been made with traction control, cornering ABS and lighting, and radar cruise control is the new normal in cars and bikes (and it is bloody good to have). Ride by wire throttle means a light throttle action instead of heavy cables to throttle bodies, and all the new stuff has a light clutch pull, and the dash can tell you where to go and what gear you're in and when you'll have to start walking........ so it's not all bad.

But yeah, what a steal, a 2005 BB for $16k on road brand new........ I had a big win that year as the 2002 BB I traded in was worth $10k so I only had to cough up $6 to change over....... never happened since........ all the Euro stuff drops in value like a stone in a pool of water....... :LOL:

Reactions: kavallero

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah, it's worse at some places but generally, I think that They made a stern decision, we will probably never roll back to "2019" levels of life, in any aspect. It's kinda hard to adjust to that but there's no other option. I don't know how they treat you there generally, like I've said some clips I've seen from NSW down there are straight up unbelievable and I guess a lesson for any future generation to never ever give up guns.

Over here they pretend nothing is happening during 2-3 months of summer season, the tourists pour in, places are crowded, beaches, bars, roads, everything jam packed. And now we're into September, the guests are gone so the panic is being rolled back in, slowly heating up by the day.

Keep strong down there, don't know what else to say.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here from Darwin. Bought a used BB which is slowly costing me more than a newer bike but I guess it's fun.
Everyday I find another thing that's been neglected or bodged haha.

It's a great bike for wide Aussie roads. I find heaps of them for sale in QLD gumtree.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I’m here too!
I’m from Tasmania and knew nothing about Honda Blackbirds until I saw one in a dairy farmer’s shed in 2020. I got talking to the bloke and he offered me a ride. I was hooked after that as had only ever ridden a 50 as a kid and a 250 dirt bike as an adult. It was kind of like the realisation of a dream to own something that powerful so I asked him about selling it. He said no but rang me six months later after changing his mind. He’d bought an AC Cobra and was getting out of bikes. I was stoked so flew to Victoria and bought it back on the ferry. I was sort of scared the whole way, to be honest, but thrilled to bits. I have ridden the bike nearly every day since and still find it challenging to ride. I am very proud of it and totally get off on the fact that it has a big block, looks cool and goes so well.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Im from Melbourne, Start of the Twistys in Victoria,
300 miles to the north and 500 miles to the East, Australias best biking roads, Most of them in Victoria, and the NSW border,
Im on my second Bird, 06 Fast Silver one, I bought my first Bird in 08 and chucked it down the road at 78,000 kays, All mine,
Cost me 15 Grand second hand with 354 kays on it, A Demo model, 2 years old,
I wanted a Big Motor, Good Handling and 100% reliable, Im too old to repair blown motors,
The salesman said this is what you need, when he asked me how I rode,, Im a Lunatic, Have been for 50 years, He pulled the Bird out of a pile of bikes down the back of the shop,
Every thing I hate in a bike, Clipons, Full fairings, Hahahaha, I like choppers and rode one for 17 years,

My Second Bird, a Slow Blue one, I bought it with 40,000 kays on it, I now have 108,000 Kays on it,
I ride my Bird, Hail, Rain, Heat, Snow, and every thing in between,

The only draw back with a Bird, Faults, Etc, Is losing my licence for speeding, Im Old, Not Slow, Hahahaha

Snow Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel
Tire Wheel Water Vehicle Sky
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire
Photograph Vehicle Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts