·
www.blackbirdownersclub.e u
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Birdies,

Which oil do you use?

Mineral, semy-synth or full-synth?

I use Castrol GPS semi-synth 10W40¨

Here´s an useful thread about oil for the BB recommending NEVER to use Full synth...(if it has a very low mileage)

CLICK

·
www.blackbirdownersclub.e u
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You should NEVER use synthetic oil in your Blackbird 'if it has very low mileage.'

You forgot to add the last bit.
I added it to my post. However... a lot of Birdies I know refuse to use full synth because it could make your clutch-plates slippery...

·
Banned
29 Posts
I LIKE TO USE THE OIL THATS ON SALE FROM 7'11 STORES , FOR TWO REASONS IT'S CHEAP AND COMES IN PRETTY BOTTLES ,AS FAR AS OIL FILTERS GO , JUST WASH EM OUT WITH GAS AND SLAP EM BACK ON :dance:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thanks for the heads up...I hadn't seen anything regarding engine oil directly from Honda before. Guess I have some reading to do on that site. Having said that, and at the risk of this turning into an "oil thread", I would venture to guess that there are a number of BB owners running full synthetic with no problems. I think it's use is especially appropriate after full breakin when the engine and particularly the engine oil are subjected to temperature extremes. A couple of examples might be when using high lift, long duration cams with the corresponding HD valve springs or when using a turbocharger. In the case of the turbo, oil flow washes the bearings with oil to lower the temps of the unit and therefore helps prevent coking of the oil in the turbo. This is why it's a good idea to let an engine with a turbo idle a bit after a hard run. Temps come down and coking is reduced. Synthetic oil raises the temps at which coking occurs by a couple of hundred degrees, so in this instance, I think full synthetic is prudent...Hank

·
Registered
877 Posts
Synthetic oil in the BB? I wouldn't do that if I were you...

read this...

CLICK
This is utter horsecock, and has been disproved by hundreds of BB owners around the world for the past 10 years.

I can't believe IXXRA would even post that bullshit.... :rolleyes: Then again, IXXRA today appears nothing like it was 5-6 years ago.... dunno what has transpired there. :idunno:

AS FAR AS OIL FILTERS GO , JUST WASH EM OUT WITH GAS AND SLAP EM BACK ON
Your caps lock key is generally on the far left of your keyboard. Please find it. ;)

WRT your comment, I know you are obviously just kidding, but in case an international forum member doesn't pick up on your jest, I can't have them thinking our forum recommends such a silly practice.

Unless the filter is purpose-built to be disassembled, cleaned and re-used (such as the Scotts Oil Filter), you always toss the old filter. Always.

·
Registered
713 Posts
As do I.... the Silkolene is outstanding stuff.

In fact, after over a decade of loyal devotion to the Mobil One line of full synthetics in all my bikes.... I have made the jump to Silkolene, at least for my R1 and Blackbird.
Do you actually use 20/50?? Isn't that a little thick before warming up?

1 - 20 of 602 Posts