Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all just by luck i got my hands on a polished set of rims the Rear number is (j17xmt5.50 dot 60r) which matches my rear
but the Front rim states (j17xmt3.50 dot81r) which is different to mine is there carb and fi wheels ,because the rear number matches
a 97 rim on ebay but mine is a fi 99 many thanks:huh:

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
You can install an injected wheel to a carb machine and a carb wheel to an injected machine, but..... You will need to have the complete wheel and axle assemble from which ever version you wish to install. The "complete assembly" would include: wheel, brake rotors, axle, axle spacers. With these parts you can install any wheel to any Blackbird front end as long as the parts come from the same type (carb or injected) machine. On the later model machines, 1999 and up (fuel injected) the wheel bearing size increased, and so the brake rotor mounting hole size and bolt pattern changed. OEM injected machine brake disc carriers are gold in color. OEM carb machine brake disc carriers are black in color. This is one way to help i.d. the wheel/brake type, as long as they have not been over painted. If you ever intend to go aftermarket with the brake rotors..make absolutely sure that the disc/rotors you purchase are for the machine type you have. There is (I believe) more aftermarket out the disc/rotors out there for the injected machines than the carb versions, so buyer beware!

T.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI Finally got the tyres off and written on the rear wheel is blackbird but on the front wheel it states early blackbird
but it has 6 bolts holes

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Wheel change cut off dates are 1997-98 (same wheel, carb induction). Wheel change for 1999 - and up ( same wheel for all, fuel injection induction). Couple of archived wheel shots attached. Two show an OEM Fuel injection brake rotor mounted to a Fuel Injection spec Dymag front wheel. The third shot is a OEM Carb machine front wheel. As already stated: The axles and spacers are different for each set up. As long as you have all the parts from the wheel you wish to use, they inter-change into the front forks of any year XX. And...there are six bolts to hold the brake rotor on no matter what year you are using.

T.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
"Negative Ghost Rider...the pattern is full."

No Kris,..six bolts no matter what the wheel in use. 12 total for the front wheels.

T.
Thought someone once said was the case but not certain, hence? Thanks for clearing that up. So now we have no easy way to tell for certain other than Honda gold is def injection.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've got injection forks and front wheel fitted to my carb bike. I didn't realise when I bought it but a knowledgeable friend told me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HI what dont help is there isnt any discs or sprocket carrier on them would the bearings be the same size are FI bigger

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Hmmm? I thought the front wheel bearings were different with the carb machines being smaller? The bearing hubs/ brake rotor mount holes ar smaller diameter on the carb machines.

T.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Hmmm? I thought the front wheel bearings were different with the carb machines being smaller? The bearing hubs/ brake rotor mount holes ar smaller diameter on the carb machines.

T.
Ooops correct Tigre,
98 models part no 91054-MN8-741
99 on models part no 91052-MBR-003
According to partzilla.

Note to self - read the chart properly :bonk: :rotfl:

·
Super Moderator
12,521 Posts
It's the bearing difference that means wheel, spindle and spacers must be changed at the same time, not only are the diameters different but how they sit in the wheel .... which is why the larger dia on the spindle is different if you compare carbie and inj.

Luckily Honda knew what they were doing and the wheel sits correctly between the forks when you use matching parts. :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm interested in buying that front wheel if you aren't going to use it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Back when I was searching for a front rim for my 99 XX, I read on this forum that a 99-00 honda cbr 600 front would fit. Since alot of Blackbird fronts get damaged I bought one off ebay and it looked just like the Blackbird but it wasn't black so I had to get it powder coated. Please double check the fitment but if my memory is correct it was the f4 model.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts