Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi Guys
because im a persnickety engineer rider i change parts at the mere whiff of a future failure, especially when its safety critical

one of the front bearings was a bit tight and dry and so i wanted to change it
due to Honda fitting a spacer tube between the bearings there is no way to use a inner race extractor as there is no open lip to grip onto
so
you can do either
1 with a drift try to know the spacer tube off to one side and then expose part of the inner race to hammer on

or
buy a steel giant rawl plug ( expansion bolt ) and wind it into place on the inner race and tighten it up
then you have something to hammer onto to drive out the old bearing
the hub needs to be cleaned out and lubed with a bit of copper grease and then you can start to knock in the new bearing using a socket that matches the OD of the bearing
beware of jetwashes
i never use one as the water gets past the outer seal and accumulates in the hub and rots out the innards bearings and spacer…
i had 2 bearings fail because of that

·
Registered
257 Posts
I did mine with the drift method, I hadn't thought about a rawl bolt. I removed the dust seals, clean and inspect the bearings. Re-grease the bearings and refit the seals.
I've only ever had a bearing fail once, on a s/h CBR1000F imported from Spain. At service, almost every bearing was dry or worn.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have ( still) a cbr 1000FL (91 ) version
i have had to change the bearings 3 times so far as the hubs seem to collect water and then the bearings rot out
even with decent seals and no sprayed washing water on the seals
the fact that the bike is really heavy on the front end doesnt help...
im going to try to sell it off in this summer if anyone still would want a 30 year old bike...

·
BirdDog
519 Posts
Quick suggestion...
In 150000 miles, I’ve replaced the front and rears about 4 times. Usually for preventative reasons only! The Honda OEM (pretty sure they’re NTN’s or NSK’s) bearings easily last me 50,000+. I inspect them at every tire change. the front two “All balls” brand failed me around 10,000 miles and they replaced under warranty only to fail me again at about the same interval. My suggestion...pay a little extra and don’t compromise when it comes to bearings. Honda has a habit of sourcing very reliable parts in their supply chain!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Geeze, I feel guilty....... when I was riding my 05BB regularly I would grease the bearings only when I pulled the wheels off to get new tyres on - by carefully prizing the soft inner seal away with a blunt small screwdriver blade and then digging old grease out before slapping some new grease on the exposed race) ....... that was every 20,000kms, regardless of time.

I have never had a bearing fail (?lucky?)...... no water ever got past the bearing seals and I have never bothered to replace the big black outer axle/hub seals - however, I fill these with grease as a precaution against moisture getting to the hub surfaces, and have always hand washed my bikes using a bucket and CT18 and a soft brush/microfibre cloth.

At 130,000kms & 15yrs I think I may still have the oem bearings in the 05, but I'd have to dig through my records to confirm that - maybe I replaced them at 100k kms when I put the 1st & only new chain & sprockets on (& new PR4 tyres) over a Xmas break:unsure:. In any case the bearings would have been ok, I probably just changed them because I could (if I did).....

PS I use the 'push the inner tube aside and bash the bearings out' method (carefully and evenly), and freeze the new bearings (in the fridgefreezer, packed with appropriate amount of grease for steering head/wheel type) prior to installing them into room temp/warm lubed hubs/steering stems. Dirty work :LOL:..... gotta be keen eh?

(y)

·
Registered
59 Posts
You may have seen that I've replaced my bearings as part of my refit work in my Progress and Snags post.
Only 64000 on the clock but as the wheels were Acid dipped, I felt the bearings seriously needed to go. ha ha.
New Bearings and Seals but I confess, I cheated, I walked in to my local shop, wheels in hand and left them with him to do for me as I was working on the exhaust stud problem. (Shameful 🥺)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts