Honda CBR XX Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

· Registered
1,300 Posts
Mallow1, I really want the rack, panniers and top box from these pics, can you let me know the details please?
Hi Shaun,

Take a look at my earlier post in this thread. It lists and describes most items
I'll echo DA… hard luggage is best (secure, waterproof, theft resistant and large capacity) and doesn't have to be slow to mount/ reconfigure.

1. For my daily "light"use: I have a Givi E52 Maxia top box (big enough for two full face helmets) with a luggage rack frame added to the top to bungee excess items.
It's currently mounted on a Givi monorail but I'm intending to swap to an SW-Motech alu rack (not the one for our birds but one for the Suzuki Bandit.
It fits too but allows the grab rail to remain in place. It also sits further back which will allow clearance (as does the monorail) for my Beetle Bag lids to open ok in my next config).

View attachment 121215 Bandit rack on the left, Bird on the right (though without Givi adapter plate). Pics borrowed from Mikeyw64's post in the "Neatest top box mount" thread.

Neatest top box mount?

2. Town load carrying: as per 1 but with Corbin Beetle Bags added (on quick release lockable mounting bolts). Medium capacity, oddly shaped interiors as they are scupled to the bike but slim enough to filter through traffic (wing mirror span wide) though watch out for top box clearance re their lids. Very aero dynamic too.

They aren't made any more so can be hard to source (ensure you get the mounting brackets too as they are rarer than hens teeth). The locks are on the top and prone to rust (spring failure) in wet weather locations (easily replaced though with higher quality ones plus weather sealing caps).

One downside is they are overly heavy (though very "solidly" built out of fibreglass) for their limited carrying capacity.
View attachment 121227

3. For full touring I swap out the B bags for Givi E41 monokey panniers mounted on quick release lockable SW-Motech side racks. Mikeyw64 posted an excellent vid showing just how rappidly you can add/ remove this set up. So to avoid a thief doing it too the locking bolts are sensible additions.

4. Final for even further additional capacity (if I'm one up) I swap my dual seat for a solo Corbin Smuggler which gives easy access additional "underseat" boot/ trunk space.
View attachment 121217

5. Final point: I've swapped out the three original Corbin barrels out of the bags and seat locks and replaced them with the Givi monokey barrels so all my luggage is on one key (not potentially six keys). This helps avoid walking around like a prison guard with one humongous bundle of keys (a point to bear in mind with lots of luggage esp if from differing manufacturers).

· Administrator
13,003 Posts
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Fuel tank

Taken somewhere in deepest France. Good enough for 3 weeks away. Contains my kit, spares, tools and the overflow from my wife's tiny panniers. I don't like extra width, really useful when you have to filter for miles to get to the head of the queue to get through the Mont Blanc tunnel or to get to ferries!

· Registered
1,300 Posts
Mallow1, I really want the rack, panniers and top box from these pics, can you let me know the details please?
Some more detail and insights to my set up:

· Registered
1,300 Posts
Rack:
Is from SW Motech and is known as an Alu Rack. There's a specific one for our Birds but two issues…
1. you lose the grab rail and
2. there isn't sufficient clearance for the pannier lids to open.
A fix for both is get the rack for the Suzuki Bandit. It fits our bike, has longer arns which allow for the grab rail to stay and puts the top box further back clearing the pannier lids. The Alu rack then needs a mounting plate on top. In my case it's the one for mounting a Givi topbox.

Panniers:
Corbin Beetle Bags. These are no longer in production. Corbin is a great US manufacturer. Bags come up for sale occassionally. Best if comes with all mounting fixtures. Locks can be replaced by SouthCo locks or from AliExpress (search for my other threads on this) plus dust/ rain covers for the locks (the latch springs are prone to rust in UK weather)

Top box:
Givi Maxia E52.
New or from FleaBay. Fyi there is an all black version out there too just in case you dislike the red reflectors. Mine has the Givi brake light kit, pillion back rest and luggage rack as well.

I'm happy to chat if you need further help/ insight.

Hope all the above helps.

Rgds M1

· Registered
43 Posts
I'm still in the midst of shopping for a Bird and really just waiting for some folks to make time to meet and report back to me on bike that I've identified as high level candidate. So while I'm getting my Birds in a row, I'm working on pricing out this and that to set it up for travel. So what's everyone's favorite luggage?

I talked to Givi yesterday and learned that SW-Motech makes a system for mounting side cases of different brands. Many years ago I enjoyed having only a top case for daily commuting but, if the YL and I are going to overnight, or weekend anywhere away with the bike, I'm considering having side cases as well.
Being a tourer, I would always prefer small sized, vast carry bag pack because of more essential's adjustment. Motorcycle tours, though, are really miraculous but a bit hectic too if rider doesn't have proper motorcycle bags. Forget yourself at home but not perfect luggage bags ever :D

· Administrator
9,763 Posts
I ran soft bags for the longest time. Then I came across a Givi wing rack. Very large storage capacity and secured. That's the big thing hard case provides a huge security benefit. And the rack takes me 15 minutes to install or remove. Gives the misses a back rest and grab handles if she needs them.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts