Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'll echo DA… hard luggage is best (secure, waterproof, theft resistant and large capacity) and doesn't have to be slow to mount/ reconfigure.

1. For my daily "light"use: I have a Givi E52 Maxia top box (big enough for two full face helmets) with a luggage rack frame added to the top to bungee excess items.
It's currently mounted on a Givi monorail but I'm intending to swap to an SW-Motech alu rack (not the one for our birds but one for the Suzuki Bandit.
It fits too but allows the grab rail to remain in place. It also sits further back which will allow clearance (as does the monorail) for my Beetle Bag lids to open ok in my next config).

1578971853667_2_1578972392735.png Bandit rack on the left, Bird on the right (though without Givi adapter plate). Pics borrowed from Mikeyw64's post in the "Neatest top box mount" thread.

http://www.cbrxx.com/riding-gear-luggage-electronics/20955-neatest-top-box-mount-4.html#post297825

2. Town load carrying: as per 1 but with Corbin Beetle Bags added (on quick release lockable mounting bolts). Medium capacity, oddly shaped interiors as they are scupled to the bike but slim enough to filter through traffic (wing mirror span wide) though watch out for top box clearance re their lids. Very aero dynamic too.

They aren't made any more so can be hard to source (ensure you get the mounting brackets too as they are rarer than hens teeth). The locks are on the top and prone to rust (spring failure) in wet weather locations (easily replaced though with higher quality ones plus weather sealing caps).

One downside is they are overly heavy (though very "solidly" built out of fibreglass) for their limited carrying capacity.
1578973642767_1578975125090.png

3. For full touring I swap out the B bags for Givi E41 monokey panniers mounted on quick release lockable SW-Motech side racks. Mikeyw64 posted an excellent vid showing just how rappidly you can add/ remove this set up. So to avoid a thief doing it too the locking bolts are sensible additions.
https://youtu.be/u3tcPylb2gA

4. Final for even further additional capacity (if I'm one up) I swap my dual seat for a solo Corbin Smuggler which gives easy access additional "underseat" boot/ trunk space.
s-l400_1578972858937.jpg

5. Final point: I've swapped out the three original Corbin barrels out of the bags and seat locks and replaced them with the Givi monokey barrels so all my luggage is on one key (not potentially six keys). This helps avoid walking around like a prison guard with one humongous bundle of keys (a point to bear in mind with lots of luggage esp if from differing manufacturers).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Can echo that. I like hard cases but the soft ones have advantages when packing of hard items.
I generally use the oe Honda cases but find they cause drag and higher fuel consumption at high speed. I'm currently using a top box for the daily commute. The bike seems to be pretty stable at higher speeds, something I was a bit worried about. This box is mounted quite far forward, however.

Sent from my LM-G810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Mello
Mounting point is well noted. The monokey most have issues with the mounting point. If you've ever seen it that rack sets actually behind the tail. That and the mounting points I suspect are the culprit.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,860 Posts
I know this is 5 months old... but... I have GIVI E41'S and a GIVI V56 or 57 for a top box. High speed? Well anything around and below 130 mph it is still stable. Mine is mounted behind where the grab rail is. Mounts are all SW/Motech. I guess the alumarack is a hard item to find for the tail box. I put bulky lighter things in the tail box... although once I put in some rotors off a SUV in it. I have admore light kit in all three. They all come off in 5 minutes or less.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
MMMMmmm... All depends on what you plan on taking with you on your rides... on a quasi regular basis.

You may need this:

View attachment 120959 View attachment 120961

If your quasi regularly transporting alot of stuff and a passenger OR for medium to long trips. These are Givi 360e hard cases. Not show are turn signals and stop lights installed on bags. Practical(lots of space), durable and comfortable with added arm(cup holder!) and back rest. And of course changes driving characteristics of the bike. As XXGUY mentions below, if you go this route best to stay UNDER 130 mph!

Hope that helps!

You posted a picture of a givi top box (and saddlebags) on a CBR1100XX and the top box had a backrest and arm-rests. Any idea where to get those arm rests? My google searches are coming up dry.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Hah
Because he adapted them off a Goldwing! Or SW has a kit. I could see where they would bolt to the top plate.

·
Registered
391 Posts
… Corbin Beetle Bags…The locks are on the top and prone to rust (spring failure) in wet weather locations (easily replaced though with higher quality ones plus weather sealing caps).
I forgot to mention I used SouthCo replacement latches (part #93-10-101-10)

And added the "sealing cover" caps

Carefull when ordering to get the right sizes (latches and caps - pls dont rely upon me to recall correctly… early onset alzheimers)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hah
Because he adapted them off a Goldwing! Or SW has a kit. I could see where they would bolt to the top plate.
Hey Beestoys! Hope all is well with you! No actually got it off Amazon. Here's the link... I have the 15" model minus the studs! Cup holder is great. However, I had to lower it by almost 3" bringing it BELOW the band. Pic shows it ON the band... So got holes to fill and cover with small piece of white Vvivid vinyl.
Amazon.com: Universal 15" Motorcycle Armrest with Studs and Cup Holder: Automotive

21 - 29 of 29 Posts