Honda CBR XX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

· Registered
1,300 Posts
I'll echo DA… hard luggage is best (secure, waterproof, theft resistant and large capacity) and doesn't have to be slow to mount/ reconfigure.

1. For my daily "light"use: I have a Givi E52 Maxia top box (big enough for two full face helmets) with a luggage rack frame added to the top to bungee excess items.
It's currently mounted on a Givi monorail but I'm intending to swap to an SW-Motech alu rack (not the one for our birds but one for the Suzuki Bandit.
It fits too but allows the grab rail to remain in place. It also sits further back which will allow clearance (as does the monorail) for my Beetle Bag lids to open ok in my next config).

Helmet Personal protective equipment Vehicle Car Sports car
Bandit rack on the left, Bird on the right (though without Givi adapter plate). Pics borrowed from Mikeyw64's post in the "Neatest top box mount" thread.

http://www.cbrxx.com/riding-gear-luggage-electronics/20955-neatest-top-box-mount-4.html#post297825

2. Town load carrying: as per 1 but with Corbin Beetle Bags added (on quick release lockable mounting bolts). Medium capacity, oddly shaped interiors as they are scupled to the bike but slim enough to filter through traffic (wing mirror span wide) though watch out for top box clearance re their lids. Very aero dynamic too.

They aren't made any more so can be hard to source (ensure you get the mounting brackets too as they are rarer than hens teeth). The locks are on the top and prone to rust (spring failure) in wet weather locations (easily replaced though with higher quality ones plus weather sealing caps).

One downside is they are overly heavy (though very "solidly" built out of fibreglass) for their limited carrying capacity.
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Scooter

3. For full touring I swap out the B bags for Givi E41 monokey panniers mounted on quick release lockable SW-Motech side racks. Mikeyw64 posted an excellent vid showing just how rappidly you can add/ remove this set up. So to avoid a thief doing it too the locking bolts are sensible additions.
https://youtu.be/u3tcPylb2gA

4. Final for even further additional capacity (if I'm one up) I swap my dual seat for a solo Corbin Smuggler which gives easy access additional "underseat" boot/ trunk space.
Auto part Electric blue Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle

5. Final point: I've swapped out the three original Corbin barrels out of the bags and seat locks and replaced them with the Givi monokey barrels so all my luggage is on one key (not potentially six keys). This helps avoid walking around like a prison guard with one humongous bundle of keys (a point to bear in mind with lots of luggage esp if from differing manufacturers).

· Registered
394 Posts
Can echo that. I like hard cases but the soft ones have advantages when packing of hard items.
I generally use the oe Honda cases but find they cause drag and higher fuel consumption at high speed. I'm currently using a top box for the daily commute. The bike seems to be pretty stable at higher speeds, something I was a bit worried about. This box is mounted quite far forward, however.

Sent from my LM-G810 using Tapatalk

· Administrator
9,763 Posts
Mello
Mounting point is well noted. The monokey most have issues with the mounting point. If you've ever seen it that rack sets actually behind the tail. That and the mounting points I suspect are the culprit.

· Play, it makes life fun
2,488 Posts
I know this is 5 months old... but... I have GIVI E41'S and a GIVI V56 or 57 for a top box. High speed? Well anything around and below 130 mph it is still stable. Mine is mounted behind where the grab rail is. Mounts are all SW/Motech. I guess the alumarack is a hard item to find for the tail box. I put bulky lighter things in the tail box... although once I put in some rotors off a SUV in it. I have admore light kit in all three. They all come off in 5 minutes or less.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
61 Posts
MMMMmmm... All depends on what you plan on taking with you on your rides... on a quasi regular basis.

You may need this:

View attachment 120959 View attachment 120961

If your quasi regularly transporting alot of stuff and a passenger OR for medium to long trips. These are Givi 360e hard cases. Not show are turn signals and stop lights installed on bags. Practical(lots of space), durable and comfortable with added arm(cup holder!) and back rest. And of course changes driving characteristics of the bike. As XXGUY mentions below, if you go this route best to stay UNDER 130 mph!

Hope that helps!

You posted a picture of a givi top box (and saddlebags) on a CBR1100XX and the top box had a backrest and arm-rests. Any idea where to get those arm rests? My google searches are coming up dry.

· Administrator
9,763 Posts
Hah
Because he adapted them off a Goldwing! Or SW has a kit. I could see where they would bolt to the top plate.

· Registered
1,300 Posts
… Corbin Beetle Bags…The locks are on the top and prone to rust (spring failure) in wet weather locations (easily replaced though with higher quality ones plus weather sealing caps).
I forgot to mention I used SouthCo replacement latches (part #93-10-101-10)

And added the "sealing cover" caps

Carefull when ordering to get the right sizes (latches and caps - pls dont rely upon me to recall correctly… early onset alzheimers)

· Registered
733 Posts
Hah
Because he adapted them off a Goldwing! Or SW has a kit. I could see where they would bolt to the top plate.
Hey Beestoys! Hope all is well with you! No actually got it off Amazon. Here's the link... I have the 15" model minus the studs! Cup holder is great. However, I had to lower it by almost 3" bringing it BELOW the band. Pic shows it ON the band... So got holes to fill and cover with small piece of white Vvivid vinyl.
Amazon.com: Universal 15" Motorcycle Armrest with Studs and Cup Holder: Automotive

· Registered
43 Posts
Please recommend a beginner riding gear with proper protection at least a possible low price.
Some folks said to try the Viking Cycle gears as they are cheap and provide the necessary protection.
I have never heard of them. Anyone here has any experience with this brand?

· Administrator
9,763 Posts
Dexter
Depends on your riding environment. Any textile is very adaptable to different climates. You'll want at least a 600 Durnier material. It offers a good abrasion resistance and adaptability breathability. Your going to want good elbow shoulder hip and knee padding. Do your research. I ran tour master for the longest time. They also have a sister company Courtech. I've had my Son drop in the Tourmaster and walk away with a minor abrasion on his hip. Gloves find a set that bridge your pinky finger to your ring finger. This digit is very prone to being bent the wrong way. Also make sure they are gauntlet style. Rashed wrists sucks ass.
Helmets are another matter how much is your brain worth. Go to a store that let's you try on different lids. Have them check the fit then walk around with it on looking at your other gear options. See if you get any hot spots. (You'll know what I mean if the fits wrong).
And once you make your choices ALWAYS REMEMBER.
ATGATT
All The Gear All The Time

Reactions: XXGUY

· Registered
43 Posts
Dexter
Depends on your riding environment. Any textile is very adaptable to different climates. You'll want at least a 600 Durnier material. It offers a good abrasion resistance and adaptability breathability. Your going to want good elbow shoulder hip and knee padding. Do your research. I ran tour master for the longest time. They also have a sister company Courtech. I've had my Son drop in the Tourmaster and walk away with a minor abrasion on his hip. Gloves find a set that bridge your pinky finger to your ring finger. This digit is very prone to being bent the wrong way. Also make sure they are gauntlet style. Rashed wrists sucks ass.
Helmets are another matter how much is your brain worth. Go to a store that let's you try on different lids. Have them check the fit then walk around with it on looking at your other gear options. See if you get any hot spots. (You'll know what I mean if the fits wrong).
And once you make your choices ALWAYS REMEMBER.
ATGATT
All The Gear All The Time
I live in California and the temp varies 48.5°F to 84.8°F, August is the hottest. As i told you i am a newbie and have very basic understanding of the quality of the gears is Cordura 600D is better than 600 Durnier?

· Administrator
9,763 Posts
It's the same material just different brand name. Your temps are pretty good then. Try and find something that is universal. If they still made the Tourmaster Flex jacket and pants I'd say get those. They were my gear to go to when it was available. Expect to shell out about 2 to 300 for a good safe jacket. Especially if its adaptable. If you ride near the coast be advised when the weather comes in during the winter it can get real rough. I've found that rain liners stop the cold dead. Also Cycle gears freeze off base layers help a good amount.
I'm in the desert here in Arizona. So I can see 40 degree temp shifts in sa day during winter months.
If you've got any particular hear your looking at give it s holler up on hear and see if anyone's using it and what they have experienced.

· Play, it makes life fun
2,488 Posts
whatever it is, just needs proper care, Could last years if properly maintained.
Truth has been spoken. Get good gear and take care of it and it will last for years and years. Or buy cheap stuff and buy every couple of years. You'll end up spending nearly the same. One way you'll be satisfied for years. The other you'll most likely be frustrated. Now, if less expensive gear is what you can afford then start with that. I would advise you to try on a lot of quality gear. It all fits a bit different. So go to a large motorcycle show. I go to the Chicago show. Pay attention to things like collars. Does it have a collar you can flip up when it gets cold or rainy. Is the collar made so it will be comfortable when flipped up. Are the sleeves the correct length when arms extended like when you are on the bike? They should be a bit long when your arms down. Vents front and back. If small and you are behind a fairing they won't work well. Do the sleeve cuffs open up enough to scoop air in hot weather. Do they zip close ? Are the zipper pulls big enough to operate with a hand that has a glove on it? I like a pocket or 3 on the outside and one on the inside. I don't use pockets that are hand warmer pockets on most every other jacket. Pockets that hold stuff while your hands are on the bars.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,300 Posts
I forgot to mention I used SouthCo replacement latches (part #93-10-101-10)
View attachment 129525

And added the "sealing cover" caps
View attachment 129526

Carefull when ordering to get the right sizes (latches and caps - pls dont rely upon me to recall correctly… early onset alzheimers)
Update, I found equivalent latches and caps offered on AliExpress for about ¼ the price of SouthCo replacements. I'm getting some to check the the quality (plus hoping to get my Beetle bags, Smugler seat, Givi E52 maxia top box and Givi panniers all on one key for the six locks involved).
Cabinet Lock Flat Key Tubular Key for Electronical Box Fire Cabinet Car Truck Train Industry Machine Rarelock MS466 h

· Registered
1,300 Posts
Original plastic latches in place (prone to water ingress into mechanism leading to waterstaining in luggage and rusting spring failure). Fyi pic below is not of my bike (apologies and thanks to whomever owns this bike… though I do have the same config as an option)
Tire Wheel White Hood Automotive lighting

New latches and covers in place (I'm yet to update my Smugler seat). Weather proofed and streamlined on my bird.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

21 - 40 of 47 Posts