Honda CBR XX Forum banner

What's your helmet brand?

1 - 20 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
So far, it looks like most of us have Shoei-shaped heads.... HJC has a similar shape, as well.

Too, HJC's are considerably less expensive. And not quite as refined as the Shoei, obviously. I actually use a HJC CL-10 for everyday commuting, and save my Shoei RF-1000 for serious road trips and Endurance Rallies.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have an OGK Aeroblade II and like it a lot - I bought it because the reviews said that it had very good ventilation and as summers here in West Aus can get up to 45C I needed something well ventilated. It can get a little noisy at higher speeds but not excessively, also no Arai that I tried fitted my large head :eek: and only a couple of Shoei fit anything like being comfortable and they were AUD $ 600+ helmets whereas the OGK was rec ret $ 420 and I got it for $ 380 and even most of the shops stated that there was not that much difference in safety/quality compared to the Arai/Shoei's:thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an HJC AC-12 Axis. I did like the Shoei alot better(weight, shape), but unfortunately for me, I have a HUGE noggin! The HJC fit alot better. Seems to be pretty comfortable, no complaints after 2000 miles. :smilebig:

·
Registered
574 Posts
I haven't found any helmet to fit my large melon any better than an Arai. I recently tried to buy a Shark with its excellent looking ventilation system, great shield, comfortable lining, but..........Pulling it on and off brought back strange memories of forcing my head through the birth canal all over again! Ouch!!!:eek: :crying:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I haven't found any helmet to fit my large melon any better than an Arai. I recently tried to buy a Shark with its excellent looking ventilation system, great shield, comfortable lining, but..........Pulling it on and off brought back strange memories of forcing my head through the birth canal all over again! Ouch!!!:eek: :crying:
Funny that was the problem I had with all Shoei and Arai's :idunno:

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm in the process of purchasing a Shark helmet now - all the reviews say good things. I'm looking to buy the RSX but can't find one to try on but I was able to try on a RSF helmet - tight, but doable. See this (from an article from "webBikeWorld"):

I have an "earth" shaped head (see the wBW Motorcycle Helmet FAQ page for more information on helmet fit) and the RSR is one of the most comfortable helmets I've tried, with one exception. The cheek pads cause some discomfort at my temporomandibular joint (jaw joint) after about an hour or so. Shark has an extensive list of replacement parts for the RSR (available via download in .pdf format on their website), so I plan on ordering a new set of thinner cheek pads, which I'm sure will fix this problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Would love to have a Shoei but...

1/ Couldn't afford it
2/ Couldn't find one that was comfortable
3/ Couldn't afford it

·
Registered
164 Posts
Shoei Lawson replica:thumb: . Soooooooooooooo comfy, quieter and better ventilation than my last Shoei Scalvini. Only pisser is I can't get the clear visor to seal completely so get wind whistle at speed and the occasional drip in the rain:rant: . Tinted visor is:thumb:

·
Registered
51 Posts
smashed the KBC VR1 in the accident and just got home from the stealers and got a KBC VR2 (new generation and cheaper, I love sales)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've had an AGV, but the chin was soooo far out there. Then I had a Shoei X-9 and that was perfection! But, 10 years later, time to get a new lid, so now I have a TZ-R and it's quieter, better fitting and higher quality than the X-9! Yes, they are considerably more expensive, but they fit us mini-noggers better and the quality can't be beat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I started off with a Nitro of all things...what a POS that thing is...put it on the other day and the difference between that and my Shoei TZR- Destiny is HUGE...that being said i had a Shark RSR2 for a little while but it was too tight and hurt my ears after a while so I returned it and got the Shoei instead...but other than the Shark was so much better than the Shoei I have now it wasn't funny, it was quieter, had far beter ventilation and didn't fog up as bad as the Shoei...I just wish the Shark fit my head properly I was gutted that it didn't!:(

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll give you that the Shoei does fog up when it gets cooler. Though, the defogger thinggy (pushes up the visor just a bit) works much better on my TZ-R Obelisk than it did on the X-9.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Work has just decided to buy me a bonus pressie, looks like a new nugget protector is on the way.....

Prolly stick with Shoei, maybe even a corser special!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I gotta get me a boss like you. Oh :doh: thats right mine's takin me and wife out to dinner on Fri nite:smilebig: . Still not a new Shoei lid tho:cool: :thumb:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Had several Arai helmets (I could wear a Quantum or Signet) but switched to a Shoei ZII a few years back. Really enjoyed the fit and how quiet it was but I got tired of trying to stuff my glasses into the damn thing and bought a Syncrotec last year. :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Bill - my experience with the 1st gen Shoei flip-up, as well as with the Schubreth and HJC flip-ups, the convienience of this style of helmet (which is not insignificant from the Iron Butt rider perspective) comes at the price of being a bit more noisier (wind-noise) than the smooth full-face equivalents.

Are you finding this more-or-less true with Shoei's late-generation Synchrotec? :huh:

·
Bob
25 Posts
I just picked up a slightly used Shoei Synchrotec (Black of course) from a gal on Ebay. I paid $225 for it and I couldn't be happier. I've tried other brands of flip-ups and found them to feel fragile and difficult to manage with one hand. The Synchrotec is brilliant. The hinges and clasps feel secure and sit firmly. The visor moves freely, and uses the standard CX-1 visor used on the other Shoei helmets, so I can use my previously owned visors on the Synchrotec.

All in all I'm very pleased with it. :thumb: Yes, it's a bit noisier, but with earphones and music I hardly notice the difference.

Cheers,

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Syncrotec is much noisier than the ZII but not much more so than an Arai Signet. I just have to remember to always wear earplugs.

1 - 20 of 407 Posts