Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
going at 160 mph plus on the interstate on my Kaw ZX-11 at night and hit a 2" X 2" piece of lumber that fell off a truck. Never saw it the front of the bike came up and when it came back down went into a tank slapper.Didn't go down but when I got it stopped I found the front rim was bent in far enough to see the edge of the tire bead. This was many years ago in 1992.
+1 on what pbz said, not really stupid as such although some wowsers would say doing 160mph is stupid :rolleyes:

I had a similar thing happen about 24 years ago on my 83 CB750F (with 900F motor), was giving it some stick at ~120kmh on a highway at dusk when I hit something similar or a brick I'm not sure but it was enough to launch the bike and my ~130kg arse up into the air off the road :oops:

Thought I'd saved it after a bit of a slapper moment but then I went to brake and slow down and I was on my arse sliding on the ground at ~100kmh o_O
Funny thing was as I'm sliding everything was in slow motion (Tachypsychia) and remember thinking as I was sliding "Oh both my rims are badly dented and my tyres have deflated and that's why I crashed" :unsure: Next thing I thought was Oh shit this could be bad as the bike was sliding towards me :oops:

Eventually, though it slid off one way and I slid/rolled into the other lane and came to a stop with the contents of my Gearsack spread all over the road and blocking both lanes o_O
Luckily I was quite a way ahead of any traffic and it all stopped and a good samaritan helped me pick up the bike and roll/drag it to the side of the road and pick up all my stuff (y)

Then had to call a mate and get a trailer to pick up the bike and head off to the Dr's as my shoulder was badly injured ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Circling the drain towards another Bird, surfing Birdland, I see this thread.
The stupidest thing I did on a bike happened in a mix of alcohol and madness so I won’t detail how many laws were broken that night.
Suffice it to say nobody got hurt and when I woke up the next morning, oh, I didn’t sleep that night, when I sobered up in the morning, I made a successful point of never getting drunk and riding.

Now that aside the stupidest thing I’ve ever done on a bike was to ride through a herd of 35 or so bison on the Alaska highway.
After waiting 20 minutes for the herd to move, a couple of vehicles moved slowly through the crowd. Then the herd closed off the path behind the vehicles.
Talking to a couple of drivers about going through on the bike, a semi driver says, go for it, but whatever you do don’t hit the horn. You think he drove through in the safety of his truck, nope.
Next an RV slowly eased its way forward. Behind that was a pickup truck. I got the brilliant idea to go in right on the pickup bumper.
As we got into the herd I thought,
DON’T MAKE EYE CONTACT WHITH THE BISON!
Sure enough I looked a big guy in the eye and his head swung towards mine. Its head was huge. We were face to face just three feet apart.
I looked away as quickly yet gently as I could.
I would have never thought that the most adrenaline hair raising, and probably stupidest thing that I would do on a bike would happen at 1 mile per hour, feet paddling on the highway.

·
Registered
65 Posts
"They say god protects drunks fools and little children". ...pbz1900... that must be true !
That was one of the other stupid things I've done on my '82 CB900F at 22 years old.
Being drunk that is, well and also abit childish.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts