Honda CBR XX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
12,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Intake boots and air box boots? Found new ones? Or were they dipped in baby stem cells?
I had run out of baby stem cells so I used my fav mix of Xylene and Wintergreen oil. Took 2 days to get them soft!
wow that looks brilliant what a transformation. I did have one in that colour many years ago how time flies
I was in Fowlers yesterday buying an 80p felt filler. The lad on the counter asked me what bike the part number I had given him was '72 Honda 350F' ..... 'that's a lot older than me' .... and me ..... and me .... said the others on the counter.
I instantly felt old!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,466 Posts
Youth is a marvelous thing; it's just a shame it's wasted on the young!
I never understood that phrase until I hit the 50 mark. At 58 I really understand it now and the other phrase... Getting old ain't for sissies!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: adeyren and Mallow1

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,466 Posts
I had run out of baby stem cells so I used my fav mix of Xylene and Wintergreen oil. Took 2 days to get them soft!

I was in Fowlers yesterday buying an 80p felt filler. The lad on the counter asked me what bike the part number I had given him was '72 Honda 350F' ..... 'that's a lot older than me' .... and me ..... and me .... said the others on the counter.
I instantly felt old!
I think you once posted the recipe for your rubber rejuvenation brew but I didn't copy it down. Could you post it again?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Once again your knowledge and experience floors me.

I instantly felt old!
I have now been in the bike business since before many who I have worked with were born.I can still quote part #'s from '80's bikes from memory,feeling older all the time.

·
Administrator
12,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I think you once posted the recipe for your rubber rejuvenation brew but I didn't copy it down. Could you post it again?
2 parts of Xylene (type of paint thinners) to 1 part Wintergreen Oil (as aromatherapists call it ... expensive) its chemical name is Methyl Salicylate see here

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Administrator
12,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Mixture of fine bead blasting and soda blasting followed by a fair number of coats of 'aluminium' engine paint as per the original. The engine was very scabby when I got the bike. I replated all the bolts.
Gas Automotive exterior Machine Motor vehicle Engineering

Reactions: pbz1900

·
Registered
260 Posts
Oh well, riding this bike is a long way off, it is going to have to live in my van currently since I have no space in the garage!
I know the feeling! MBD is frustrating when you don't have the space. I have come back to biking after a decades long hiatus so while the Bird is an absolute keeper, there's lot's that I missed out on that I want to experience.

My very first bike was a used 1969 CB350 in Honda's Turquoise and White with the rubber tank grippers, and until you posted this I had no idea that the CB350F even existed. Extremely crappy worn out shocks and bias ply tires, but it's the bike that I learned to scrape footpegs on. A set of Girling shocks transformed it, but I did not keep it for long as a 1973 CB750 came my way.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts