Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
12,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for the winter project so the next one is in the van.
This one is for my wife to ride so no high seat like DrBig or the XL600LMF.
This one is older than the other two .............

So the question is 'What's in my van under lots of corrosion and rust?
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive parking light
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Wood Bicycle part
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread Bumper Fender

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,336 Posts
I was going to guess 70's Honda...
CB350four?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheDuck

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Another pile of crap that arrived at my place today. Ah well, it'll keep Duck quiet this winter.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Maybe a CB500 Four? I had one back in 1978. Felt like i was king of the road at the time. Looking back ... what a piece of cr*p!

·
Administrator
12,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm going to have to make it harder with my next purchase.
@pbz1900 so nearly got it right with the first reply. @XXGUY then gets the model.

1973 CB350F (four)
So I have gone from one piston displacing 800c to 4 displacing 350cc. :)

As @adeyren said this bike will keep me quiet over the winter and possibly longer ................. (I know what you really think ade. :LOL:)

Maybe a CB500 Four? I had one back in 1978. Felt like i was king of the road at the time. Looking back ... what a piece of cr*p!
I know what you mean, back in the day I had one of the original z900's, it tried to kill me at every corner, a CB500T that was horrible and that is before I start on some of the old Brits that I owned!
In the last couple of years I have started to enjoy riding some of these old bikes of my youth, I can now laugh at their weaknesses, knowing that bikes can be so much better.

Where I live there are so many tiny back lanes where 40mph starts to get frightening. A Bird is wasted and hard work on these roads but 100% enjoyable on these old bikes.
That said, with over 100,000 miles on Birds under my belt I know where my true love lies.

Oh well, riding this bike is a long way off, it is going to have to live in my van currently since I have no space in the garage!
A mate is going to store a couple of bikes for me so that should get the space sorted, then back to bare frame.

To be continued ...............

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,652 Posts
Woohoo. A really good reliable bike that was. A real UJM of the day. Adjust points with a tallyho paper and the tappets done at campsites. Pull fuel line off easily to fill thecamp stove. The metallic greenwas beautiful. Do it the justice it deserves. In the middle of HEL SS spaghetti lines fitting at moment and that front disc shot makes me mad!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Rare find Duck, but ugh that's a lot of rust and corrosion, best of luck.Is everything there? Side covers etc?

·
Administrator
12,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rare find Duck, but ugh that's a lot of rust and corrosion, best of luck.Is everything there? Side covers etc?
Al you are right the condition of the bike is far from perfect but that in some ways that is the way I like it. No 'shall I ' questions, it has to be down to the bare frame and start from there.
I looked at a similar bike in better overall condition but it had parts missing so I decided on this one that is only missing one side cover.

The reason for this is simple, Brexit has really messed up buying parts from round the world as I did with DrBig and the XL.
I could source the cover from Germany at about £50 but 'postage' (which includes new taxes) adds £30-40. 'Postage' from the States where I could 'easily' source the cover for $30 - $40 seems to cost $80 - $120 now.
Oh what a mess ..........

·
Administrator
12,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and here it is in all its 'glory'. :rolleyes:
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk Motor vehicle

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,336 Posts
and here it is in all its 'glory'. :rolleyes:
View attachment 132540
I'm not being nosey but curious about what the market is like for those in your part of the world. Here in the US without all the corrosion and in excellent condition or nearly that would go for between $1500 to $2500. Not running and like yours ??? $500 or best offer. Sometimes... hey I got this old bike... you want it? What price range were you seeing when you went looking?
Also, you going to be trying to get it beautiful again and polish up all the metal or get the chrome pieces redone? New shocks or is there a way to rebuild those old shocks?

·
Administrator
12,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
but curious about what the market is like for those in your part of the world.
The 350 Four didn't come to the UK so they are rare here. In the UK prices would be double the range you have quoted which is why this is an ex-US bike.
I will be heading to the re-chromers when the time is right. Shocks can be re-built but not really worth doing, decent replacements (identical) available here for not a lot of money.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
They'd be similar price here, vintage stuff has gone through the roof. Sorry to hear about import costs, that's just more greed running our lives again.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,336 Posts
The 350 Four didn't come to the UK so they are rare here. In the UK prices would be double the range you have quoted which is why this is an ex-US bike.
I will be heading to the re-chromers when the time is right. Shocks can be re-built but not really worth doing, decent replacements (identical) available here for not a lot of money.
Be careful it's not a right hand drive vehicle!

• Haha
Reactions: TheDuck

·
Administrator
12,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the warning but I now have good experience of LH drive bikes, both DrBig and the XL600 came from Europe. ;)

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
All Petes previous project's were for himself. This one is for Petes wife! I can just see it now, Pete tinkering away and SWMBO walks in the garage. Errr..are you doing that properly? I can't wait. Hehehe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts