Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Take care around my Dr!!!
oh yes I'm looking after your DR, have you noticed it is now on a dolly so that I can easily move it out of the way when work is going on, no more 30 point turns to get it to a safer position. :smilebig:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Looks interesting tho Duck. I need to get out on my XRV a lot more, great fun but I keep using the Bird etc etc

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well it is a long time since I updated this thread and I still haven't found any space in my garage ........... but the project goes on!
Stripped down in a day
IMG_2223.JPG

The powder coated frame currently resides in my van to save space but I have been getting on with 'stuff'.
IMG_2234 (1).JPG IMG_2250.JPG IMG_2240.JPG IMG_2255.JPG IMG_2267.JPG

I now have a large selection of sub assemblies, forks rebuilt, yokes, suspension linkages, swing arm, carbs rebuilt and I have re-plated bolts, plates etc so when I get to the re-build it should be completed in double quick time (famous last words!)

Next task is the engine, unfortunately the gear selector shaft has been damaged in the past (end knocked off and splines rounded) so it will be a full pull down, need to split the cases, what horrors am I going to find in there?

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The motor is proving 'fun' some idiot has been in there before me. If I had a thrust washer that had 'outside' stamped on it I would make sure I got it round the right way! Missing washers under the head bolts, the list goes on.
I need to split the crank cases as noted previously. Hmmm bodger has got there before me, half the bolts are damaged so the heads need drilling out. Currently waiting for some new cobalt drills, mine have died through over use.
Been busy with the red engine enamel. Very close to OE colour but I have to say this is going to be one bright engine. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Finally got round to splitting the cases, the bolts were close to impossible to obtain so the splitting waited until I had the bolts.
No sign of the loose needle that was missing from the CCT or the missing washers from the head bolts. All looks good, time to get the new gear shaft put in to replace the damaged one.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Splitting cases is always fun. Hearing all the little clink clinks then trying to find out where they fell out. :eek:

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,451 Posts
You are lucky. That's looks clean inside. I once split a z1A 900 motor, to find 300ml of thick sludge and bits of cam tensioner. Oh, as well as cracked valves, holed pistons and a rusted clutch.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
You are lucky. That's looks clean inside. I once split a z1A 900 motor, to find 300ml of thick sludge and bits of cam tensioner. Oh, as well as cracked valves, holed pistons and a rusted clutch.
You sure it was a bike and not a jet ski:rolleyes:

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,451 Posts
I actually did wonder how the hell it ran the last time. Anyway its someone elses problem and i saw a youtube of it running so hes doing better than i would have done.
Anyhoo , back to ducks red thing.

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You are lucky. That's looks clean inside.
Yes, pleasantly surprised although the oil strainer was broken and full of muck, luckily very few metallic flecks.
I pulled the transmission yesterday and checked it over, fit to go and replaced the damaged shaft.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts