Honda CBR XX Forum banner
121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I use a weather app called Morecast. It has a navigation section in it. It not only calculates the route like any nav app but shows the weather along the route, and here's the key, for the time you are due at that particular part of the route.

By changing the start time I've managed to dodge some bad weather a fair few times. Example below if I was travelling from Aberdeen to London today.l
View attachment 133987

View attachment 133988

View attachment 133990

It's website does the same thing:

That's awesome. I'm going to try this out. Thanks Mallow.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Re: What I have been doing the last few evenings!

Well I got the front end back together and even had #2 daughter out there learning. Replace front brakes tomorrow and put the tire back on and then do the body work. I think that I need to grease the Center Stand too. Duck thanks for recommending that tool for air gap. A well spent $15 last year. #2 saw it and exclaimed "how do you have tools for everything? How do you know how to do everything?"
I don't. I didn't know how to do any of this last year. I just read and learn on my forums. I didn't know about this tool until a forum member told me about it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Hi XXGUY,

Is your tool similar to this or is it something different?

·
Administrator
12,998 Posts
Hi XXGUY,

Whilst I might not be XXGUY I use a fork level gauge very similar to the one you have posted. Makes life very easy and accurate.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Hi XXGUY,

Yes, that might even be easier as the Motion Pro has a small tube and it's hard to pull the fluid up through it. Just takes a bit more time.
I completely changed out my Goldwing suspension for Traxxion Dynamics suspension. Wow... is all I can say. I am completely happy with Jamie Daugherty's suspension on my Bird but if I had done my wing 1st the Bird would have everything Traxxion Dynamics would be able to put on it.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Hey Folks,
Sorry I haven't been around since late spring.
Last November the ST1300A that I gave my son was in need of tires and an oil change. I bought tires and was going to be out there in November but couldn't make it. I had the big power sports dealer that was a mile away pick it up along with the tires and they put tires on, oil and a battery (cheapest battery you could get) they over charged me and replaced the LiFePo battery without asking and used an impact to put the panel on over the battery and my sin stripped the hex heads out if the bolts because it was waaaay over toqued. They charged me for work that wasn't done. He still needed his clutch bled and forks rebuilt. I was so PO'd already so they were NOT going to touch it again.
I took off from Northern Illinois in early May and headed to SE Idaho 1400 miles away. A bit cool and snowed on over the mountains but was there in 2 days. Swapped bikes then headed home 2 days later and took the long route in 3 days. Took the forks apart and rebuilt them (they had leaked oil all over) and then started cleaning the fork oil off of the bike. Engine, calipers, rotors, rims. Rebuilt clutch Master cylinder, changed out all fluids(coolant, oil, rear diff oil, clutch/brake fluid, blinker fluid ) made sure everything else was clean, chased down a small drain on the battery. Removed an old accessory wire too. Put all the panels back on. All done in about 10 days while working full time. Rode the bike back out to Idaho in 2 days then rode my Wing home. A week of rest then my 86 yr old uncle went into the VA hospital and I visited him there (4 hr round trip) every weekend for a month. Then he passed away and I ended up dealing with his estate. He died with no will, no plans nothing. (I really recommend getting your affairs in order even if you plan on living another 50 years) That took up every free moment that I had since July 8th. 3 weeks after that my mother passed away on August 1st then in late September my best friend from high school passed away. All estate's are taken care of and I went on a 5 day bike trip over to West Virginia and Virginia. Those Appalachian Mountains are wonderful motorcycle mountains. Also a 3 day trip up to Lake Superior and shopped at Aerostich.
Still organizing things from my uncles garage that I am putting in my smallish garage. My 76 Trans Am is in storage as of last week.
As I sit here typing this out I am looking out the window at our 1st snowfall of the year. Salt is now on the roads so the season is gone. I mostly just rode to work and back all season and never even washed my bikes!
I did try a Dunlop Q3 Sport tire on the back. Wow, I like that tire much better than the Bridgestone T-32 GT but I can't go on trips with it. I have 4 awesome corners on my work commute and the sides of this tire are wearing out and the middle looks almost new. Such fun!
I will be doing winter maintenance and I will try to do a few step by step videos and post them on my XXGUY YouTube channel. Forks, oil, brake/clutch fluid replacement and coolant replacement too. Chain cleaning and adjustment. I need to check the valves at 33,000 miles. Never done that or replaced the spark plugs. Never missed a beat. I might have a local speed shop put on a power commander and dyno-tune it. My bike always smells as if it is running rich and the pipes are sooty.
Goldwing is going to get some maintenance done on it too.
Some of you guys may think this is cool... my uncle bought a BMW R75 new back in 1977. Later he upgraded it by putting 1000 CC jugs on it. (R100) rode it over 100,000 miles. I wanted it and as I was cleaning/clearing out 3 sheds and a large garage I got it... along with a side car that I found out was once also attached to the R75. Bike is in good shape but side car needs a restoration done. Good retirement project after the new Garagemahal is built next year.
So good to be back. Hopefully life will slow a bit back towards normal.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes, that might even be easier as the Motion Pro has a small tube and it's hard to pull the fluid up through it. Just takes a bit more time.
I completely changed out my Goldwing suspension for Traxxion Dynamics suspension. Wow... is all I can say. I am completely happy with Jamie Daugherty's suspension on my Bird but if I had done my wing 1st the Bird would have everything Traxxion Dynamics would be able to put on it.

Hi XX,

My Bird has Traxxion AK-20 cartridges front and Penske rear installed by the previous owner. I have previously mentioned that I have never felt so stable (especially on a top heavy bike) on a bike as I do on my Bird even though the setup is for someone heavier than me. Amazingly stable in high crosswinds too.

An upside of the Traxxion AK-20 cartridges is that Traxxion says that you can move them to a different bike if you choose to.

"As an added bonus, the kit is completely modular in construction, and can be retrofitted to future bikes you may buy."

The downside is that this stuff is pretty pricey so you have to be committed to your bike, as our bikes are old bikes (but definitely not outdated, unless you have a need for electronic gadgetry), and for some unfathomable reason most bikers out there don't realize what an amazing bike it is, that does everything that you want it to in real world street riding.

Cheers,

Ross

121 - 127 of 127 Posts