Honda CBR XX Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Had to put new grips on as the old grips were worn out. Salvaged some from flooded Bird and wanted these new bar end weights. Only problem was that I couldn't get the part you screw into out to orient it correctly so you could see the CBR writing. The left hand was the problem and it was a little long too. So I filed down the part that sticks out and then filed a new angle on it so it now works! The new grips are a little larger in diameter and have foam on them. I will let you know how I like them. Now on too the new power sources.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Still hunting down the right one for me.....that's what I've been up to. Told the YL there might have to be a road trip because shipping is looking ridiculous. Also, considered some advice that I received here and "looked" at a '03 online and then when to searching for a '99-'00 instrument cluster. I didn't get much in the way of satisfaction from that search.

So far there's two potential bikes but, both are a two day drive away.

Outside of the XX world, I took a test ride on a BMW K 1300 GT. It seems to be an ok compromise for a fully outfitted sport touring bike, especially for two up. Despite the additional hp and torque, it didn't have that same feeling as an XX does. I was kind of expecting a whopping amount of power when opening up the the throttle and that didn't happen. It did move up in speed expeditiously, in Normal mode. I didn't try out Sport mode. Normal mode felt like a older big heavy Mercedes that has a nice roll up and smooth top end. Not the break neck XX experience.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Still hunting down the right one for me.....that's what I've been up to. Told the YL there might have to be a road trip because shipping is looking ridiculous. Also, considered some advice that I received here and "looked" at a '03 online and then when to searching for a '99-'00 instrument cluster. I didn't get much in the way of satisfaction from that search.

So far there's two potential bikes but, both are a two day drive away.

Outside of the XX world, I took a test ride on a BMW K 1300 GT. It seems to be an ok compromise for a fully outfitted sport touring bike, especially for two up. Despite the additional hp and torque, it didn't have that same feeling as an XX does. I was kind of expecting a whopping amount of power when opening up the the throttle and that didn't happen. It did move up in speed expeditiously, in Normal mode. I didn't try out Sport mode. Normal mode felt like a older big heavy Mercedes that has a nice roll up and smooth top end. Not the break neck XX experience.
Sport mode may have made a difference. It does on my car. Patience is key when looking!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sport mode may have made a difference. It does on my car. Patience is key when looking!

After talking with another K series rider, the words, “a lot more like a sport bike but, still not a XX” came from him.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Took my 2007 ST1300 out to Idaho and gave it to my newly married son as a wedding present. Missed his wedding due to Covid because he got married 3 days earlier than planned as they were shutting down Houston. He called and said... Dad, were getting. Married today and leaving Houston before they quarantine us in place.

Ok... His Mom was a little upset but understood. In the last two weeks they have left Rexburg, ID and gone on a few jaunts. I also bought them helmets and gloves. My eldest daughter is pregnant with her 2nd child and lent her gear to my Daughter in law. I bought him new gear.
They have gone to explore new places. Yesterday I get a screen shot of a GPS track. They went up and over Teton pass to Jackson, Wyoming. That pass on both sides has 10% grades. I called him up... how did you do on those steep curves? What gear were you in going down. Ok, it was a little scary but I was in first gear or second and hardly touched my brakes.
She was enthusiastic about it as she has only been on a bike three times before. Last summer at our place was the 1st time. So, two more riders have been born!
Posting some pictures of our trip out there. Snowed going over two mountain passes.

That last one is of my new helmet cover when I feel like going incognito!

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #108

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
Rode my 2015 wing down to Marietta, GA. Gave it to Traxxion Dynamics and they gave it back 3.5 hrs later. Totally changed out and upgraded the suspension. New internals on forks. Upgraded to the latest technologies (adjustable). Fork Brace, billet aluminum triple clamp, tapered roller head brgs. New Ohlins shock with a proper sized spring for me and the wife.
Rode back for two days on very twisty roads through Northern Georgia, North Carolina and then Tennessee. Wow, those roads are fantastic! Can't wait to bring the CBR 1100XX Black Bird down there next. The difference in handling, comfort and safety (lack of bottoming out the front or back suspension) was an unbelievable improvement. Folks, put your money into suspension upgrades no matter what bike you ride. Enjoy your bike that much more. Max at Traxxion said my front tire will last longer now. No CUPPING! It was starting to cup a bit at 5500 miles. Now after those tight and twisty roads with a lot of sweepers thrown in too. That front tire is all worn smooth from edge to edge now. Good amount of tread left but no cupping.
Getting ready for a three week trip with my youngest daughter. She wants to ride on the wing instead of taking her own bike.
Putting a hitch on it now. Have to find my old trailer wire harness from the 2012 and put that on. If things come in on time then it will get a blacked out luggage rack and a Candy Red spoiler with brake light on the trunk.
Electrical connection LED headlight upgrade, Electrical connection blinker switch back kit. Turns them into DRL. EC aimed lights that go in the lower cowl fog light openings. The EC taillight and Brake light upgrades. EC's Spoiler LED upgrade( turn, brake, running light instead of just a brake light) So all about safety, handling and being able to see at night and people able to see me better during the day. I have an Aspen Classic pop up camper I want to pull but it may not come altogether in time but I will get it ready for some 3 or 4 day trips during the fall. Haven't done much to the Bird. Just replaced a power supply with very similar one. Have to do an oil change and next year all fluids again. Next spring I may ride it down to Beestoy's house so he can mentor me through a valve lash check up!
That 1500# Derek Weaver lift got a work out for the 1st time lifting that 933# wing.
For those of you who don't know... had a Bird strike on my Vario windshield and trapped the dead robin under the adjustable lip.

Reactions: Greg.r

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I found out after I had been working on the 2015 Goldwing that one of my children thought that I was in a bad mood. I was quiet and not talking much when I went into the kitchen.
Well, when you are cutting out a template to mount a spoiler/brake light combo onto your motorcycles trunk lid and you’re not sure if the holes will line up correctly… It kinda makes you think and off course the idea that you could be taking a drill to your perfectly good trunk lid and in 20 minutes it may be a perfectly trashed trunk lid and you might not be able to get another one as it is an anniversary paint job and five years old it sobers a person. Even if I could get one you know it’s not going to be cheap. The instructions said in big font… not for DIY people. Only have a professional with the proper tools perform these instructions!!!
Got through that job so on to the next job… yep, drill 4 more holes to mount a luggage rack. I had Loraine eyeball the placement after I explained what needed to be done. Then I eyeballs the center of the circles of the traced out rack legs and drilled them out. Only had to elongate one hole a little bit. Phew!
Here is the finished job. I’ll be taking the spoiler off tomorrow if my Electrical Connection parts come in. I bought their spoiler LED that is a combo brake, running and turn signal light. Then I will remove the bolts on the rack and put some name plate brass as a reinforcing backing plate so the lid won’t be damaged. Happy everything worked out tonight and I don’t have to try and find a replacement trunk lid.

Reactions: Mallow1
101 - 110 of 110 Posts