Honda CBR XX Forum banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Had to put new grips on as the old grips were worn out. Salvaged some from flooded Bird and wanted these new bar end weights. Only problem was that I couldn't get the part you screw into out to orient it correctly so you could see the CBR writing. The left hand was the problem and it was a little long too. So I filed down the part that sticks out and then filed a new angle on it so it now works! The new grips are a little larger in diameter and have foam on them. I will let you know how I like them. Now on too the new power sources.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Still hunting down the right one for me.....that's what I've been up to. Told the YL there might have to be a road trip because shipping is looking ridiculous. Also, considered some advice that I received here and "looked" at a '03 online and then when to searching for a '99-'00 instrument cluster. I didn't get much in the way of satisfaction from that search.

So far there's two potential bikes but, both are a two day drive away.

Outside of the XX world, I took a test ride on a BMW K 1300 GT. It seems to be an ok compromise for a fully outfitted sport touring bike, especially for two up. Despite the additional hp and torque, it didn't have that same feeling as an XX does. I was kind of expecting a whopping amount of power when opening up the the throttle and that didn't happen. It did move up in speed expeditiously, in Normal mode. I didn't try out Sport mode. Normal mode felt like a older big heavy Mercedes that has a nice roll up and smooth top end. Not the break neck XX experience.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Still hunting down the right one for me.....that's what I've been up to. Told the YL there might have to be a road trip because shipping is looking ridiculous. Also, considered some advice that I received here and "looked" at a '03 online and then when to searching for a '99-'00 instrument cluster. I didn't get much in the way of satisfaction from that search.

Outside of the XX world, I took a test ride on a BMW K 1300 GT. It seems to be an ok compromise for a fully outfitted sport touring bike, especially for two up. Despite the additional hp and torque, it didn't have that same feeling as an XX does. I was kind of expecting a whopping amount of power when opening up the the throttle and that didn't happen. It did move up in speed expeditiously, in Normal mode. I didn't try out Sport mode. Normal mode felt like a older big heavy Mercedes that has a nice roll up and smooth top end. Not the break neck XX experience.
Sport mode may have made a difference. It does on my car. Patience is key when looking!

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Took my 2007 ST1300 out to Idaho and gave it to my newly married son as a wedding present. Missed his wedding due to Covid because he got married 3 days earlier than planned as they were shutting down Houston. He called and said... Dad, were getting. Married today and leaving Houston before they quarantine us in place.

Ok... His Mom was a little upset but understood. In the last two weeks they have left Rexburg, ID and gone on a few jaunts. I also bought them helmets and gloves. My eldest daughter is pregnant with her 2nd child and lent her gear to my Daughter in law. I bought him new gear.
They have gone to explore new places. Yesterday I get a screen shot of a GPS track. They went up and over Teton pass to Jackson, Wyoming. That pass on both sides has 10% grades. I called him up... how did you do on those steep curves? What gear were you in going down. Ok, it was a little scary but I was in first gear or second and hardly touched my brakes.
She was enthusiastic about it as she has only been on a bike three times before. Last summer at our place was the 1st time. So, two more riders have been born!
Posting some pictures of our trip out there. Snowed going over two mountain passes.

That last one is of my new helmet cover when I feel like going incognito!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
Rode my 2015 wing down to Marietta, GA. Gave it to Traxxion Dynamics and they gave it back 3.5 hrs later. Totally changed out and upgraded the suspension. New internals on forks. Upgraded to the latest technologies (adjustable). Fork Brace, billet aluminum triple clamp, tapered roller head brgs. New Ohlins shock with a proper sized spring for me and the wife.
Rode back for two days on very twisty roads through Northern Georgia, North Carolina and then Tennessee. Wow, those roads are fantastic! Can't wait to bring the CBR 1100XX Black Bird down there next. The difference in handling, comfort and safety (lack of bottoming out the front or back suspension) was an unbelievable improvement. Folks, put your money into suspension upgrades no matter what bike you ride. Enjoy your bike that much more. Max at Traxxion said my front tire will last longer now. No CUPPING! It was starting to cup a bit at 5500 miles. Now after those tight and twisty roads with a lot of sweepers thrown in too. That front tire is all worn smooth from edge to edge now. Good amount of tread left but no cupping.
Getting ready for a three week trip with my youngest daughter. She wants to ride on the wing instead of taking her own bike.
Putting a hitch on it now. Have to find my old trailer wire harness from the 2012 and put that on. If things come in on time then it will get a blacked out luggage rack and a Candy Red spoiler with brake light on the trunk.
Electrical connection LED headlight upgrade, Electrical connection blinker switch back kit. Turns them into DRL. EC aimed lights that go in the lower cowl fog light openings. The EC taillight and Brake light upgrades. EC's Spoiler LED upgrade( turn, brake, running light instead of just a brake light) So all about safety, handling and being able to see at night and people able to see me better during the day. I have an Aspen Classic pop up camper I want to pull but it may not come altogether in time but I will get it ready for some 3 or 4 day trips during the fall. Haven't done much to the Bird. Just replaced a power supply with very similar one. Have to do an oil change and next year all fluids again. Next spring I may ride it down to Beestoy's house so he can mentor me through a valve lash check up!
That 1500# Derek Weaver lift got a work out for the 1st time lifting that 933# wing.
For those of you who don't know... had a Bird strike on my Vario windshield and trapped the dead robin under the adjustable lip.

Reactions: Greg.r

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I found out after I had been working on the 2015 Goldwing that one of my children thought that I was in a bad mood. I was quiet and not talking much when I went into the kitchen.
Well, when you are cutting out a template to mount a spoiler/brake light combo onto your motorcycles trunk lid and you’re not sure if the holes will line up correctly… It kinda makes you think and off course the idea that you could be taking a drill to your perfectly good trunk lid and in 20 minutes it may be a perfectly trashed trunk lid and you might not be able to get another one as it is an anniversary paint job and five years old it sobers a person. Even if I could get one you know it’s not going to be cheap. The instructions said in big font… not for DIY people. Only have a professional with the proper tools perform these instructions!!!
Got through that job so on to the next job… yep, drill 4 more holes to mount a luggage rack. I had Loraine eyeball the placement after I explained what needed to be done. Then I eyeballs the center of the circles of the traced out rack legs and drilled them out. Only had to elongate one hole a little bit. Phew!
Here is the finished job. I’ll be taking the spoiler off tomorrow if my Electrical Connection parts come in. I bought their spoiler LED that is a combo brake, running and turn signal light. Then I will remove the bolts on the rack and put some name plate brass as a reinforcing backing plate so the lid won’t be damaged. Happy everything worked out tonight and I don’t have to try and find a replacement trunk lid.

Reactions: Mallow1

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 · (Edited)
Put in the new spoiler 4 way light. Now it is a running light, brake light, turn signal. Put in DRL and switch back LEDs for front turn signals, have new LED headlight elements and lower cowl LED aux lights. On order are LED brake light/running light bulbs that flash 4 times when the brakes are put on and they are much brighter than stock.
Good news is that the Electrical Connection headlight bulbs fit the CBR 1100XX and these LEDs are not Chinese made. Nope, made in America and they are quality units that have the LED elements exactly as the stock bulb elements are so the reflector throws the light just as a stock bulb does. $120 for a set of two.
I am going to see if these running/brake light LEDS fit the CBR too. If not I will go with SuperbrightLED.com bulbs. No flashing though. I will be doing switch back DRL up front on the CBR after seeing the Goldwing with them now.
Anyone have suggestions of a quality kit for that? Just not whats on ebay from China...

I am getting my Dad's 84 wing back from my nephew for $500 as he doesn't want it. I already have my original 84 and don't need two. So I plan on turning it into a bobber like in the last picture. Different color though... thinking about flat Army Olive Drab with the old white circle and a white star inside the circle on the side of the tank and side panels. My wife thinks it's an awful idea and said my dad would roll over in his grave and that I'm castrating a perfectly good bike. What do you guys think...

on the dragon this summer with #3 daughter

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Put on a Quad-Lock Wireless Charger on the my CBR! Love it. Replaced my front turn signals with DRL switchback bulbs and also my Headlights are now LED. Wow what a difference that makes! video on this on my Youtube channel... XXGUY

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
Haven't posted for a while... been helping a lot of people lately even a forum member who is living in the far north where nobody wants to ship to anymore! Right Lovinmycbr!
But sit back and grab some popcorn cause I got a story to tell!
Loved the Quad-lock wireless waterproof phone charger so much that I put one on my wing now too. My truck also has a Quad-lock wireless charger in it now.
So I have a 23 yr old son and he acts his age... He lives in SE Idaho 90 miles from Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
I gave him my ST1300 as a wedding present.
They use it and he thought he could go 400 miles round trip on a pretty bald rear tire last August. (Like I used to do and think at 23) He made it 100. Pulled into a spot where you can look at the Buffalo. He got back with a trailer and he moved it up to the trailer and put the sidestand down. 5 steps away and he hears a crash. The bike had tipped over completely on its right side. He gets it home. Smashed mirror and plastic housing, scraped up side bag.
So it sits... I shipped two tires to his place. I planned on being there for Thanksgiving and I would change the tires with my NoMar tire changer that mounts in my hitch... but then my 17 yr old sons football team had the audacity to keep winning in the High School football playoffs! They won state... on Thanksgiving weekend. So I never made it to Idaho. So to surprise the 23 yr old I call the dealer 1 mile from his apartment... Rexburg Power Sports. I recommend you don't go there... here is why.
They come pick up the bike and I tell them to give it an oil change, put the tires on and fix the mirror. How much to bleed the clutch... $75. Ok, don't bleed it. He got air in it when it was on its side as the clutch wasn't working.
So they do that and with parts and labor I figured $800 to $900. Nope $1275!
I ask how... Oh, it needed a battery so that was $70 and $90 to put it in! Now it's only three easy accessed bolts to remove the side panel and the battery is right there. Wow! Then it gets delivered back to him. He tries to take the battery out and he can't get 2 of those three bolts out. Should be about 6# of torque on those... hand Allen wrench, nope, socket Allen wrench, nope... small electric impact with Allen socket... yep stripped out the head. He calls me and I called the dealer and tell them to fix the problem they created. So they did and the bike is back. My son said the bolts looked different... Send me a picture! Sure nuff, two stainless cap bolts with washers so it would hold the panel... and the heads were two different sizes to boot! What! Now I was irritated that they replaced a battery without telling and then charged me 90 dollars. This was to much. I get on the phone and talk to the service manager and he doesn't understand why his guys would do that... Neither do I, now order correct OEM bolts with a shoulder. Please send me an email with the itemized bill too. Okay, he does, a week later no call about the bolts. Meanwhile I find they charged me for bleeding the clutch which they never did and every line item has a $5 charge for shop supplies and the environment. I know they didn't bleed the clutch because I sent my son a full set of speed bleeders and he bled the clutch and sludge came out the first two pumps. Then dirty fluid.
They said the fork seals needed replacing and the Clutch Master cylinder needed a rebuild. How much? $450 for the forks and $215 for the clutch. Nope, don't touch it.
I'd had enough so I hopped on my wing in Illinois and rode it out there in two days. Visited for a day then rode the ST back home in 2.5 days. I began wondering... WHY did I ever give this sweet bike away!
I got out there and I stopped by the shop and they had the bolts but never called. I had them reimburse me for the clutch bleed which they did after I told them they didn't because sludge shouldn't have come out of the slave cylinder and then dirty fluid. They said... oh, and gave me the refund.
Working every night after work for a week and a half the following has been accomplished.
Oh my goodness the forks were puking oil and had been for a while... everything was coated in a layer of grime and grunge. So I cleaned the forks, calipers, every body panel came off and was cleaned. Engine scrubbed and cleaned, two large connectors got sprayed down with contact cleaner, the front wheel was disassembled and the rotors were bathed in Brakleen, the rim in Simple Green and then reassembled. Every bolt had to be cleaned as I took it off or put it on. The grime up front on the forks and calipers was at least 1/8" thick or more. Once I got it cleaned and that took a while...
-Forks rebuilt and springs replaced with Traxxion Dynamics Spring kit.
  • New Stock brake pads
  • Clutch Master cylinder rebuilt and bled/flushed, speed bleeder in place.
  • brake system flushed and bled. All bleeders replaced with speed bleeders.
  • batteries replaced on the TPMS
  • removed, cleaned the K&N air filter and installed it.
  • Coolant changed out and engine burped of air.
  • removed an old radar detector power source. Put liquid electrical tape on the wire where the tap had been. When it dried I wrapped the wire and bundle.
  • tried chasing the parasitic draw on the battery. Couldn't find any. Removed the negative lead and put my voltmeter to amps and then connected it between the post and the negative lead or the two other things connected to the battery. Nothing, so I swapped to the positive post and reconnected everything on the negative post. Still nothing! Anyone know a better way?
I did leave the negative lead unattached over night and checked the battery the next day... and it was down to 12.5 V???
Maybe just a cheap bad battery???
  • had two extra keys made. I will keep one of them for emergencies.
  • oiled the side and center stands. Both much better.
  • lubed all locks and hinges/pivot points.
  • lubed the secondary master cylinder pivot point bearings and the pivot bolt and bushing.
  • lubed the clutch lever pivot bolt and replaced the bushing.
  • lubed the brake lever pivot points and oriented the lever angle a bit to make it easier to grab.
  • and cleaned and cleaned. I did mention I cleaned a lot, didn't I?
  • now trying to put some Goldwing rear crash/tip over bars on it to prevent messed up bags or worse the next time it gets dropped... you know it will happen!
My new to me Aluma MC10 trailer just got new tires. Now to take the old chock out and put my beloved Condor Chock on it!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
While riding back from Idaho I stopped by Anamosa, Iowa to see the National Motorcycle Museum. Was worth the $15.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive design Picture frame Gas Engineering
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle
Automotive fuel system Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Font Wood Wall Terrestrial plant Signage
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Attachments

Reactions: lovinmycbr1000f

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Font Wood Signage Commemorative plaque Landscape

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

Wood Motor vehicle Font Signage Advertising

Font Motor vehicle Terrestrial plant Signage Advertising

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior

Cloud Sky Natural environment Automotive tire Asphalt

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 · (Edited)
I decided to just ride the ST out there and ride my wing back. I was about to leave at 0900 but 7 miles from the house the clutch started slipping. Hmmm, made it to within 3 miles of the house and no clutch engagement. Wife came and got me and I got it on my trailer. Figured I needed to take the clutch Master Cylinder apart again. I just hauled it to the dealer as I was on a timeline. They got me in right away. Nothing seemed to be plugging the return hole but it sure seemed like it. He tore it down with me watching. Saw some black stuff like a thin shaving of rubber? Flushed it all out and put it back together just like I did. Worked great. I also had him load test that cheap battery that the Idaho dealership had put in. Yep, totally trashed and absolutely no hesitation on the load test. Smashed right to ZERO. Mechanic confirmed that's the cheapest brand you can put in a bike. 3 pm I headed west as I had a hotel reservation 12.5 hours away. I made it by 0300 and slept for 4.5 hours then headed out for another 11 hrs. Rainy and 39F over the passes. My Aerostich RoadCrafter suit and heated liner and gloves were wonderful! Last 30 miles had a terrible 30 to 35 mph crosswind. Got there and had planned a few days there but looked at the weather. My only chance of getting out without being rained on for the whole way home was 9 am the next day. Ate a good breakfast and headed out. It spit some rain on me but going over the 2nd pass it was snowing really bad and the roads were totally covered with an inch of wet snow and it was steep grade. I was down to 18 mph and I could feel my rear tire getting squirmy. Luckily it was so cold the pressure was down in it and it was around 35# as the TPMS was flashing. Finally near the top... car tracks! Then going down those disappeared again. Finally made it out. Nebraska the next day I was running from and skirting around major storms. Got through the last of them as I went into Iowa. Then a 30 mph cross wind came up for the next 320 miles. Disappeared after sunset and then 90 miles to home was great. To fast trips at 2800 miles each. Then last weekend I went up to Lake Superior and back. Light rain half the time. Everything sure is green!
Oh, put a Dunlop Q something sport tire on the Bird. Nice round profile but it ain't gonna last but 4,000 miles. So no trips on it. I am thinking about trailering it down to east Tennessee!
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille

Snow Branch Plant Natural landscape Freezing

Snow Automotive tire Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

• Wow
Reactions: lovinmycbr1000f

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·

I just rode my buddies 2012 K1600 GT in Dynamic mode. You sat way up on top of the machine and sure it got up and went... but I just felt like the XX is pushing me back harder when accelerating. I do sit up straighter so I could see around easier when touring but I think with a convertibars conversion the XX will be almost as good. So the thought of selling the bird for a K1600 GT just flew away!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I
Quite the journey XXG,

Do you just watch the weather forecast or do you use an app to plan your trip to avoid bad weather?
Use AccuWeather.com and a radar app. On my Goldwing if I subscribe to XM radio I also get the weather map so I can see the weather far or close for radar. If on the CBR 1100XX I use my phone on a Quad-lock wireless waterproof phone charger (see on my YouTube channel XXGUY) and a radar app (My Radar) to see what's way ahead. Or how bad is it going to be. I'll sit down before I go and look at the weather forecast of towns along my route about every 50 to 100 miles to get an idea of temperature and rain. (I look at the hourly forecast on AccuWeather.) Out west it can change drastically in 50 miles due to mountains and elevation. On the plains not so much... so every 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I use a weather app called Morecast. It has a navigation section in it. It not only calculates the route like any nav app but shows the weather along the route, and here's the key, for the time you are due at that particular part of the route.

By changing the start time I've managed to dodge some bad weather a fair few times. Example below if I was travelling from Aberdeen to London today.l
Product Azure Font Rectangle Screenshot

Water resources World Ecoregion Map Font

Ecoregion Map Font World Urban design

It's website does the same thing:

101 - 120 of 127 Posts