Honda CBR XX Forum banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

· Play, it makes life fun
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I use a weather app called Morecast. It has a navigation section in it. It not only calculates the route like any nav app but shows the weather along the route, and here's the key, for the time you are due at that particular part of the route.

By changing the start time I've managed to dodge some bad weather a fair few times. Example below if I was travelling from Aberdeen to London today.l
View attachment 133987

View attachment 133988

View attachment 133990

It's website does the same thing:

That's awesome. I'm going to try this out. Thanks Mallow.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: lovinmycbr1000f

· Registered
291 Posts
Re: What I have been doing the last few evenings!

Well I got the front end back together and even had #2 daughter out there learning. Replace front brakes tomorrow and put the tire back on and then do the body work. I think that I need to grease the Center Stand too. Duck thanks for recommending that tool for air gap. A well spent $15 last year. #2 saw it and exclaimed "how do you have tools for everything? How do you know how to do everything?"
I don't. I didn't know how to do any of this last year. I just read and learn on my forums. I didn't know about this tool until a forum member told me about it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Hi XXGUY,

Is your tool similar to this or is it something different?

· Administrator
13,003 Posts
Hi XXGUY,

Whilst I might not be XXGUY I use a fork level gauge very similar to the one you have posted. Makes life very easy and accurate.

2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Hi XXGUY,

Yes, that might even be easier as the Motion Pro has a small tube and it's hard to pull the fluid up through it. Just takes a bit more time.
I completely changed out my Goldwing suspension for Traxxion Dynamics suspension. Wow... is all I can say. I am completely happy with Jamie Daugherty's suspension on my Bird but if I had done my wing 1st the Bird would have everything Traxxion Dynamics would be able to put on it.

2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Hey Folks,
Sorry I haven't been around since late spring.
Last November the ST1300A that I gave my son was in need of tires and an oil change. I bought tires and was going to be out there in November but couldn't make it. I had the big power sports dealer that was a mile away pick it up along with the tires and they put tires on, oil and a battery (cheapest battery you could get) they over charged me and replaced the LiFePo battery without asking and used an impact to put the panel on over the battery and my sin stripped the hex heads out if the bolts because it was waaaay over toqued. They charged me for work that wasn't done. He still needed his clutch bled and forks rebuilt. I was so PO'd already so they were NOT going to touch it again.
I took off from Northern Illinois in early May and headed to SE Idaho 1400 miles away. A bit cool and snowed on over the mountains but was there in 2 days. Swapped bikes then headed home 2 days later and took the long route in 3 days. Took the forks apart and rebuilt them (they had leaked oil all over) and then started cleaning the fork oil off of the bike. Engine, calipers, rotors, rims. Rebuilt clutch Master cylinder, changed out all fluids(coolant, oil, rear diff oil, clutch/brake fluid, blinker fluid ) made sure everything else was clean, chased down a small drain on the battery. Removed an old accessory wire too. Put all the panels back on. All done in about 10 days while working full time. Rode the bike back out to Idaho in 2 days then rode my Wing home. A week of rest then my 86 yr old uncle went into the VA hospital and I visited him there (4 hr round trip) every weekend for a month. Then he passed away and I ended up dealing with his estate. He died with no will, no plans nothing. (I really recommend getting your affairs in order even if you plan on living another 50 years) That took up every free moment that I had since July 8th. 3 weeks after that my mother passed away on August 1st then in late September my best friend from high school passed away. All estate's are taken care of and I went on a 5 day bike trip over to West Virginia and Virginia. Those Appalachian Mountains are wonderful motorcycle mountains. Also a 3 day trip up to Lake Superior and shopped at Aerostich.
Still organizing things from my uncles garage that I am putting in my smallish garage. My 76 Trans Am is in storage as of last week.
As I sit here typing this out I am looking out the window at our 1st snowfall of the year. Salt is now on the roads so the season is gone. I mostly just rode to work and back all season and never even washed my bikes!
I did try a Dunlop Q3 Sport tire on the back. Wow, I like that tire much better than the Bridgestone T-32 GT but I can't go on trips with it. I have 4 awesome corners on my work commute and the sides of this tire are wearing out and the middle looks almost new. Such fun!
I will be doing winter maintenance and I will try to do a few step by step videos and post them on my XXGUY YouTube channel. Forks, oil, brake/clutch fluid replacement and coolant replacement too. Chain cleaning and adjustment. I need to check the valves at 33,000 miles. Never done that or replaced the spark plugs. Never missed a beat. I might have a local speed shop put on a power commander and dyno-tune it. My bike always smells as if it is running rich and the pipes are sooty.
Goldwing is going to get some maintenance done on it too.
Some of you guys may think this is cool... my uncle bought a BMW R75 new back in 1977. Later he upgraded it by putting 1000 CC jugs on it. (R100) rode it over 100,000 miles. I wanted it and as I was cleaning/clearing out 3 sheds and a large garage I got it... along with a side car that I found out was once also attached to the R75. Bike is in good shape but side car needs a restoration done. Good retirement project after the new Garagemahal is built next year.
So good to be back. Hopefully life will slow a bit back towards normal.

· Registered
291 Posts
Yes, that might even be easier as the Motion Pro has a small tube and it's hard to pull the fluid up through it. Just takes a bit more time.
I completely changed out my Goldwing suspension for Traxxion Dynamics suspension. Wow... is all I can say. I am completely happy with Jamie Daugherty's suspension on my Bird but if I had done my wing 1st the Bird would have everything Traxxion Dynamics would be able to put on it.

Hi XX,

My Bird has Traxxion AK-20 cartridges front and Penske rear installed by the previous owner. I have previously mentioned that I have never felt so stable (especially on a top heavy bike) on a bike as I do on my Bird even though the setup is for someone heavier than me. Amazingly stable in high crosswinds too.

An upside of the Traxxion AK-20 cartridges is that Traxxion says that you can move them to a different bike if you choose to.

"As an added bonus, the kit is completely modular in construction, and can be retrofitted to future bikes you may buy."

The downside is that this stuff is pretty pricey so you have to be committed to your bike, as our bikes are old bikes (but definitely not outdated, unless you have a need for electronic gadgetry), and for some unfathomable reason most bikers out there don't realize what an amazing bike it is, that does everything that you want it to in real world street riding.

Cheers,

Ross

2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Hi XX,

My Bird has Traxxion AK-20 cartridges front and Penske rear installed by the previous owner. I have previously mentioned that I have never felt so stable (especially on a top heavy bike) on a bike as I do on my Bird even though the setup is for someone heavier than me. Amazingly stable in high crosswinds too.

An upside of the Traxxion AK-20 cartridges is that Traxxion says that you can move them to a different bike if you choose to.

"As an added bonus, the kit is completely modular in construction, and can be retrofitted to future bikes you may buy."

The downside is that this stuff is pretty pricey so you have to be committed to your bike, as our bikes are old bikes (but definitely not outdated, unless you have a need for electronic gadgetry), and for some unfathomable reason most bikers out there don't realize what an amazing bike it is, that does everything that you want it to in real world street riding.

Cheers,

Ross
Yes, Traxxion is awesome. If I had known of them before I would have gone that route. My 2015 Goldwing has everything Traxxion makes for it installed. Transformed the bike to a whole new level. Yes, expensive but totally changed the riding experience to a different level. Max states if I run 100,000 miles it will pay me back in tires. It won't because now I run the corners faster and more safely too... so the rubber scrubs off faster.
As stated I have Jamie Daugherty's suspension and it is much less expensive but it too made such a change on the Bird. It gobbles up road bumps like never before AND it doesn't beat me up. Very stable too. Very close to Traxxion for less.

· Registered
291 Posts
XX

What year and mileage is your Goldwing? I'm surprised that Honda did not get it right on their flagship tourer which is not exactly cheap and designed for two people.

I watched a test ride a few months ago on a bike which had electronically controlled suspension (some cars have had that for a while now). Unfortunately, I don't remember what bike that was but the rider raved about how good it felt. I guess that's the future.

· Administrator
9,763 Posts
Suspension is the first place all of the bike manufacturers take technology from first to save cost.

2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
XX

What year and mileage is your Goldwing? I'm surprised that Honda did not get it right on their flagship tourer which is not exactly cheap and designed for two people.

I watched a test ride a few months ago on a bike which had electronically controlled suspension (some cars have had that for a while now). Unfortunately, I don't remember what bike that was but the rider raved about how good it felt. I guess that's the future.
2015. I have my original 84 wing I bought new. Upgraded the suspension new springs up front and aftermarket shocks on the back. Same with the 91 wing.
Beestoy is correct... most go cheaper on the suspension because most people don't ride their bikes enough to notice or use its full potential. Years ago I had a good mechanic tell me that no manufacturer out there puts a fork spring in that lasts more than 2 to 3 years for the avg weight rider. This discussion came up as my bike was diving under hard braking conditions. Over the years I have found out that he was correct. Suspension upgrades are the most bang for your buck and keep paying you back each and every time you get on your bike. It handles smoother whether going straight or cornering. It's safer too and more comfortable as the wheel stays on the road and doesn't give you a harsh ride.
The 2018+ wings have improved again but Traxxion Dynamics has improved it more because they put more money into it. Most people will balk at the price. I sure didn't like paying that much money! But on the ride home through the Appalachian Mountains I was estactic at the difference. I now have no problem taking any bike and having Traxxion Dynamics do whatever they can to any bike I buy. Probably 85% of riders will never touch their suspension. Most I ask never have changed their fork oil or brake fluid. I never did until my later 20's... then I learned and I do it every 2 to 3 years.

· Registered
291 Posts
Hi XX, Bees,

Yes, it just blows me away that a company like Honda that builds outstanding drivetrains then puts garbage components in one or two very important areas. The Goldwing is an expensive bike. The kind of person who buys it would not care about a couple of thousand dollars added to the price to have the suspension and everything top notch quality right from the beginning.

Bean counters upstairs saving pennies who don't know s#$t about riding, driving or auto mechanics.

My 1999 VFR800.....an over engineered, outstanding bike in it's day, with a bulletproof engine, but Honda put crappy suspension, and worse still a garbage Regulator/Rectifier that is guaranteed to fry itself and take out your battery and stator leaving you stranded somewhere unexpectedly.

Then there is my 2002 CBR600F4i, a relatively cheap bike with a bulletproof engine, that has everything well done. Fully adjustable suspension front and back that is good enough for an amateur track day.

Dave Moss, the suspension guru recommends changing fork oil every year, but I guess it depends how much mileage the bike has and how it has been ridden.

Suspension upgrades are the most bang for your buck and keep paying you back each and every time you get on your bike. It handles smoother whether going straight or cornering. It's safer too and more comfortable as the wheel stays on the road and doesn't give you a harsh ride.
(y) You are preaching to the choir! That and ergonomics are the first upgrades that anybody should do instead of bling.

Especially on a two wheeler, your tires and suspension determine your ride and how safely the bike handles. Traxxion & Penske is expensive - YES, but what's a human body and suffering worth. That was my reasoning for having good suspension and buying expensive Motoport gear. Boots too....get the best ankle protection that you can afford. Rabbit foot ankle fractures are not fun.

I'll add to that. Watch some youtube Dave Moss videos at track days. You will really shake your head at the number of people who have high end fast bikes (usually Italian) and clothing to match who have not bothered to do a single adjustment to the suspension and foot and hand controls to suit them, and yet they want to do a track day. The modern attitude inspired by manufacturers....Fashion (Looks) over Function! SHEESH!

Great that you have held on to your vintage Wings.

Cheers, and end of rant,

Ross

2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Hi XX, Bees,

Yes, it just blows me away that a company like Honda that builds outstanding drivetrains then puts garbage components in one or two very important areas. The Goldwing is an expensive bike. The kind of person who buys it would not care about a couple of thousand dollars added to the price to have the suspension and everything top notch quality right from the beginning.

Bean counters upstairs saving pennies who don't know s#$t about riding, driving or auto mechanics.

My 1999 VFR800.....an over engineered, outstanding bike in it's day, with a bulletproof engine, but Honda put crappy suspension, and worse still a garbage Regulator/Rectifier that is guaranteed to fry itself and take out your battery and stator leaving you stranded somewhere unexpectedly.

Then there is my 2002 CBR600F4i, a relatively cheap bike with a bulletproof engine, that has everything well done. Fully adjustable suspension front and back that is good enough for an amateur track day.

Dave Moss, the suspension guru recommends changing fork oil every year, but I guess it depends how much mileage the bike has and how it has been ridden.

(y) You are preaching to the choir! That and ergonomics are the first upgrades that anybody should do instead of bling.

Especially on a two wheeler, your tires and suspension determine your ride and how safely the bike handles. Traxxion & Penske is expensive - YES, but what's a human body and suffering worth. That was my reasoning for having good suspension and buying expensive Motoport gear. Boots too....get the best ankle protection that you can afford. Rabbit foot ankle fractures are not fun.

I'll add to that. Watch some youtube Dave Moss videos at track days. You will really shake your head at the number of people who have high end fast bikes (usually Italian) and clothing to match who have not bothered to do a single adjustment to the suspension and foot and hand controls to suit them, and yet they want to do a track day. The modern attitude inspired by manufacturers....Fashion (Looks) over Function! SHEESH!

Great that you have held on to your vintage Wings.

Cheers, and end of rant,

Ross
I subscribed to Dave Moss 2 yrs ago!

2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Well,
I was going to buy an African Twin when I retired but a guy at work ambushed me with an offer I couldn't say no to. I kept saying no because it wasn't a Honda... but then he shot me a price 3 to 4,000 dollars under current market costs for his 2017 Super Tenere with only 13,500 miles. I got up there on Wednesday between rain and snow storms to take it out... how could I say no? So I bought the thing! I wasn't even looking for an Adventure Bike yet! But I got one now. It is nice... wife said I didn't need another bike as this makes 6. Two projects though and a 250 Rebel that needs selling. I told her I could play with it
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

all summer and sell it for what I paid or get more than I paid. She quieted down and seems alright with it, but she knows I don't sell bikes very often...
I know it feels out of place in the stable with all those Hondas' but it'll get used to it!
That 1977 R100 airhead has a sidecar that I have to get running. It was my uncles bike and sidecar. The bike itself should not take a lot to get it running though. The BB and the Wing still need cleaning and winter maintenance. The Rebel is good. My original MC bought new in April of 85 is the 84 Standard Wing. Brake system needs cleaning and it has sat so long the carbs now need cleaning too.
Reason bike maintenance hasn't been done is because I have been rearranging the garage and making room for two new to me toolboxes with all my Uncles tools. The drawers were stiff to pull out so I have been taking all the drawers and slides out. Thoroughly cleaning the tracks and slides then a light lube and putting them back in. About 3/4 of the way through his then I might as well do my box too! Then on to organizing the tools then on to bike maintenance. I'll take pictures and maybe make some how to videos too.
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Wood Audio equipment Gas Electronic device Electronic instrument

· Registered
291 Posts
" wife said I didn't need another bike as this makes 6. "

I told her I could play with it all summer and sell it for what I paid or get more than I paid. She quieted down and seems alright with it, but she knows I don't sell bikes very often..."

Hi XX,

😄 Ha! Ha! Nobody needs more than a couple of bikes. We all WANT more! Nothing wrong with that. That's why we are enthusiasts and on this forum.
I have a friend in Edmonton who has nine bikes (or is it 10?), and we hardly have any good days to ride here in the Frozen North. He has a core collection that he will never sell and then every year he buys a bike that piques his interest and resells it after riding it for a while. Former pilot, and bikes are now his passion since he retired. He is a wealth of information and my go-to guy if I want to know anything about bikes.

That Tenere is one nice Yamaha. I think that you will really enjoy it if you get off the slab and onto forestry roads and such. It's a little known fact but Yamaha has made a few outstanding performance engines for the automotive industry. The Ford Taurus SHO engine is a Yamaha engine. Yamaha also made a performance engine for Volvo. I have a 2003 6 Speed manual Toyota Matrix XRS which has a 2ZZ-FE engine in it that is also used in the Toyota Celica and Lotus Elise. Not exactly a performance engine, but turbo and tuning kits for it are easily available as it's very popular with the younger generations. I have been astounded at it's reliability for a small (1800cc) 'inexpensive' car. It's at about 325,000km without needing any engine work and still goes like new (meticulous maintenance probably helped). Never let me down and it has been taken on some long distance rides, the most recent being a spur of the moment drive at the end of October from Calgary to West Yellowstone in unplanned treacherous icy winter weather. About 2000km there and back. Not a glitch!

Anyway, my point is that Yamaha engines are just as super reliable as Honda motorcycle engines and you made a good decision to buy the Tenere. Enjoy!

Ross

ps Those Taurus SHOs are still running and most owners do not part with them.

2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
I remember when those SHO Taurus's came out. They were very impressive and I sure didn't know Yamaha made the engines!
I started to look up things on RevZilla that I want to add to this Tenere. Lower fork protectors, belly pan, upper crash bars, aux lights... and my wish list sure started to grow. But I also started to appreciate the deal that I got even more. I really liked the AltRider upper bars... except they only work with AltRider lower bars and those were expensive! AltRider belly pan works with AltRider lowers too. I go home and see what he put on it. AltRider lower bars! Then I see what the Yoshimura muffler cost too. I was only $180 short on my guesstimate and $400 short on the large moose racing panniers and top box. When I looked at the Tenere I didn't know it was shaft drive until I saw it. A bit heavier but I prefer the lower maintenance. I already have a quick trip to east Pennsylvania for 4 days March 27th with am old Navy buddy. One there, two to ride and one back home. It has gotten me out in the garage to get the tools squared away and to get my maintenance done and to do a few upgrades on the Tenere before March 27th! So it will get used mostly off pavement.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts