Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

As per the title ... I'm thinking of buying a Merc Vito SWB as a general runabout and want to know if the BB will fit in easily. The problem I have is limited parking space and no drive way so it has to sit on the road and being where we are there just isn't the room for anything large. I've currently got a 30 year old Trafic T1300 hitop and the BB fit's with a couple of inches to spare, but it's old with no power steering, petrol and the wife hates it and keeps nagging .... So before I start I wondered if any of you guys have got a Vito and if the BB fits?

Cheers
Scraps.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
My best friend Jimbob, just bought a all wheel Mercedes that he is camperizing himself. He's doing a great job, room for one bike or a couple of road bikes. We will do a road trip this summer. He will bring his Duc or Ktm dirty bike. It's big but not the biggest. I love it? No pics yet. It's a diesel. I have had a couple of Westphalias but just bicycle s. I'm not familiar with your model and there seems to be many choices. I think you might have a bit of an expensive challenge but good luck on your endeavours! Wrap it, blacken the windows and get the best alarm system out there. I'm sure local experience will show up with good advice. Cheers
I just took these a week or so ago. I can't explain all he has done inside or the materials he has used but it will be great when he is finished, I think. He is the Western Canadian Rep for the Aussi Boot Company which explains the wrap. My phone camera is not too great but the wrap is a more camo green. He installed larger, beefier tires and wrapped the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ever considered a ford transit? far more reliable than the vito (my brother in law drove his a half million km in commercial use) very spacey and equipped with all things and whizzles for far less tha a vito

Cheers Burkhard

·
Administrator
12,928 Posts
Scrappy said:
I'm thinking of buying a Merc Vito SWB as a general runabout and want to know if the BB will fit in easily
I had the same question when I bought my current van and I came to the conclusion that it will be tight with any SWB 'medium' van if you just want to wheel the bike straight in. You can of course gain a bit if you put the bike across the diagonal.

My measurements said the Bird is 2200mm at it's extremities.
So most common SWB vans give you 2-300mm extra length ScotVans Van Dimensions Guide, No.1 for Quality Used Vans in Perth and Kinross, Scotland

The merc isn't any longer internally at 2422mm
http://www.mercedes-club-bg.com/Mer...s/Vito 19995-2002/Vito_Specificationsheet.pdf

So it would appear that for a 'comfortable' fit you would need to go LWB .....

·
Registered
623 Posts
My LDV Maxus has about 160k miles on it from 2007 and is running ok. I picked it up cheap at an auction last summer. I'd say my bike would have fitted in it easily as it's a LWB High top. I'd have to get an extra high top to stand. I'd also have to remove beds and toilet now!

I watched something on video of Guy Martin with him working on his bike in the back of a SWB Transit normal roof saying he'd prefer a high top, but it fit. I think it was the "Closer to the Edge" film about the TT.

The Transits and Sprinters all went at auction for 2 or 3 times the price of my van.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Chaps,

Thanks for responding and for the inputs and Duck for the measurements :D

The general idea is to get a newer van (preferably rust free, although I keep arguing with the wife that rust is not a crime!) that will be used as an everyday car and occasionally used as a day van (transporting the bike to the TT and then used as a camper). And thus I'd prefer a Vito or similar as they do drive like a car, where as LDV's and Transits drive like commercial vehicles ... not that I have anything against them (Have had loads of Transits in the past) but they are quite wide and bearing in mind I'm struggling for parking room (if room wasn't an issue I'd have a large van and a car).

·
Administrator
12,928 Posts
The general idea is to get a newer van ...that will be used as an everyday car and occasionally used as a day van (transporting the bike to the TT and then used as a camper). And thus I'd prefer a Vito or similar as they do drive like a car, where as LDV's and Transits drive like commercial vehicles ...
This sounds so familiar, exactly the quandaries that I went through. I was tempted to go LWB just for ease of fitting 'Duck' in just in case I want to transport it to one of those 'run wot you brung' runway events... or bring it back in case of problems ..... but the advantages of SWB, manoeuvrability, being able to fit in standard parking spaces, cheaper on ferries (the van goes to France a lot - currently got a prefabricated log store in the back, I've been busy!) finally outweighed the bike loading.

I ended up buying a Toyota Hi-Ace (the slowest most agricultural of the mid vans) simply because it should out live me and the price was right!

Reactions: Scrappy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Iv got a vwt25 bus I could probably fit the bird in on her side hahaha just kidding :evilaugh:
It's a shame it's rear engined as that was the original idea behind buying a van.
I used to work in a Ford dealership 12 years ago and we had a few TDI transits frequenting with egr problems may have been isolated instances tho.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts