Honda CBR XX Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
The "official" German vehicle registration documents of my Bird show a top speed of 286 km/h, and I would believe that to be accurate!

However the speedo's probably a bit off, so an indicated 300-305 is closer to the "real" 286 km/h.

The fastest I've seen was 285 indicated, then I ran out of room... plus that also gets a bit hectic. If you hit a pebble at the wrong angle you'll asplode! :eek:

On the other hand, 180 is like a mellow cruising speed and I find I can do 220-240 all day long without any stress on German motorways. Beyond that.. is when I start hearing the Song of the Sausage Creature... :shocked:

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
I think I made 275 kph on fully loaded Givis on a new road in Idaho, but I had a quick vision of being smucked by a bird or something so I slowed down damn fast. It was thrilling, it always is. Plus I always want to come home to my life, my wife, my girls and friends. I don't want any epitaths reading "he went doing what he loves best". If that's the case, at this age, I want to go on the "down stroke".:evilaugh:
that's nearly 100 mph faster than my Givi's have written on them as maximum speed :hmm:

a bird eating another bird.... are our blackbirds cannables? LOL
I don't know about the birds but my VF500F has eaten 14 birds in the last 3 years, all but 2 of them were stuck between the pipes at the head. Come to think of it I did hit a bird on the Bird the other day, stupid thing flew into my knee.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
I've been over 200+ kph with fully loaded Givi plus top bag, many times. Rock solid. Mono rack is a solid set up. I'm not advocating it but that was when I bought the bike in '02 on a road trip to Toronto from Van. It was just part of the experience. 200kph is beginning to get fast these days, for me. I haven't tested the new set up yet. Full Yoshi, Dyna Coils plus K&N. I was totally oem during the TO road trip.

·
The Need For Speed
45 Posts
I have had my bird up to 135mph (with full givi racks loaded to the gills with clothes and gear) lol, without the racks, 172mph indicated... I have maxed my zx14 out once at the 300km/h... However, I have heard that if you have a stock bike, to subtract between 5 and 8% of your speed once you get past 100 mph.... for example if you are going an indicated 120mph on your bike, you subtract 6%,,, so 6% of 120 is 7.2.... so you take 120-7.2 and you get 112.8... thats about how fast your going.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned but 'birds generally over read by 10%.

I was out with a few 'birds recently and when stopped quite a few showed a top speed on the trip of 162.

162 - 10% (16.2) = 145.8
My GPS said 145

Considering this was across a number of 'birds plus I've done this test at many speeds (including 50 and 70) with the same results, I reckon it's a reasonable rule of thumb.

Therfore my top indicated speed of 174 is only around 157mph. I ran out of space so had to back off. I hadn't put it in top gear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Seen 284kph on me bird, that was fast enough. Had the factory panniers, pillion and tank bag and cruised at 252kph. That was a nice trip :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Got to own up here, god I hope the law don't find out but my speedo got up to 290klm in my one and only go at trying to find out my birds top speed

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
g`day who gives a shit,i was a hoon during the week as well,mate 290ks f---ck thats shit out of a slingshot.i got to 270ks it felt like a blink of an eye,then i backed off,im getting old,ha ha ha .cheers kev

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Cruising for about 20 kays at 280 on the clock,

It really is a nice bike to ride at high kays,

My G/F rode 15,000 kays on the back, ( 10,000 Kays asleep) The speedo usually read 220 - 240 she thought it was the temp guage until she got her own bike, Max now with her on, 200 Then the dig in the ribs,

·
Registered
101 Posts
my racer buddy took it to 172MPH (speedo) in a smooth closed circuit and very long road (100% stock bird)
"it kinda creeped up after 160..."

I crest 150MPH once a year to maintain my very unofficial membership in the 150+ club and then lay off...
The wind forces in slipstream mode are amazing
I only do this after my trusted mechanic checks EVERYTHING is dialed in

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
I've seen 270 on the clock & still pulling well, thought that'll do:D, that's with a speedo healer fitted...:thumb:
RonC you too,i thought Commie Kev was a serial hoon,with a speedo healer as well,is their something about those darker ones that we dont know about.:thumb:

Reactions: RonC

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have some open spaces here in the desert, my digital dash runs up to 299km/h with some revs to go, not sure the exact revs, I don't spend much time looking at the dash moving along at that speed. It accelerates slowly at that speed though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
194 via GPS. It has got a little help though. I have changed the gearing to 18T on the front and 43T on the rear. BTW - It runs 13 pounds of boost. Air drag at speed is a qubed function which is the main reason it takes so much power to increase the top end on our bikes.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts