Honda CBR XX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
phastasphuck
1,248 Posts
180 mph showing on clock and 170 showing on twatnav, still pulling hard though but had to slow for a bend on motorway, this was done about 2am nice n clear but bit cool so nice cold air into airbox, the bike is sooo stable at speed as well even when loaded up with pillion and luggage, obviously not 180 then but into instant ban speeds in the UK :)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
178 speedohealer correct with stock gearing and slip-ons... maybe....maybe 180 with a tail wind.

A tailwind would make all the difference. Land speed records must be set in both direction for that reason. Most of you HP is going toward pushing air at these speeds. In a plane you basically just add the wind to your air speed (if you were going directly down wind).

·
Registered
10 Posts
267kph (165mph) so far but traffic on the freeway made me slow down. I want 300kph

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1997XX, At 300kmh I got 258kmh GPS. The most cheating bike I've had was a Suzuki TL1000R, I remember when I hit 300kmh, the GPS actually measured about 240kmh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I saw 173mph, indicated w/ the zx-12 guy riding next to me...

Mine's a 1998, carbed and jetted w/full Micron exhaust and a 230lb rider (me!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I travel to Germany several times a year and last year I got a perfect slingshot from a convenient truck and, with a slight tailwind and no traffic for several K in front I rocketed up to 315km/h pretty quick!

This was on my (very nicely setup) carbed XX with K & N , Micron Beta race exhaust and Magnesium wheels....

The speedo had been calibrated and it felt very fast but it was probably in the 180-85 MPH region... :)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The amazing thing is how fast the bike slows down from high speed.

At top speed you have 135 hp pushing you forward and 135 hp pushing you back. Plus you are at max rpm all tucked in.

As soon as you close the throttle, you still have the 135 hp pushing you back. You also have the engine brake. Pop your head up a little and the wind wants to take it off. Even without the brakes you slow down tremendously in the first second or two.

Squeeze the brake a little, hang on to the bars and open your shoulders. Your chest will act like a parachute. Squeeze some more brake in as the bike settles.

In a few seconds, your speed goes from insane to just plain old crazy. The "problem" is you cover a lot of distance in that time and you can't maneuver too well.

·
Rolling chicane
74 Posts
I've seen 180 indicated on my 99 Bird. On the dyno my Bird with a full Akropovic system and remapped PCII registered 182.something(can't remember).

On a quick trip down the local Interstate with 2 of my friends, I had my GPS in the map pocket of my tank bag. We were about 3 miles from our exit, the road was deserted for the most part so I opened the Bird up. I took it to an indicated 165 and held it until the exit. After we stopped, I checked my GPS. It showed a max speed of 148 mph.
Factory speedos are a bit optomistic.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
It was only after the 'bird and the 'busa were out that the 300kph agreement was done. Then the Italians were the ones who smashed it. (MV Augusta)

At the time of release, AMCN (Australian Motorcycle News) took a BB and a 'busa to Avalon Airstrip with their Stalker Radar gun. On a 5.5km strip with the last 500m for braking, they got the 'bird to 279kph. Same rider got the 'busa to 301, and by folding the mirrors back, 311kph. I seem to recall they had a slight tailwind on the day, but not much.

A few years later, they took the ZX12 out as well, they made 297kph on it by the radar. Oh yes, that day they had a highly modified, but still NA 'busa they later gave away to a subscriber. It had been worked over by Phil Tainton Racing and it managed 322, I think.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have hit 286km/h or 176 MPH just south of Winnipeg, Manitoba. I had over 50km or straight deserted road to play. These reading are from a Garmin Quest GPS. My bird had stock sprockets and a full 2brother exhaust. Also note that I am 130lbs 5'-5''.

Just my experience.

·
A Rainbird Warrior
5,154 Posts
318 KPH GPS confirmed SLOW????????

I meant slow speedo, digital on the later restricted (Japanese gentleman agreement) Versions. Still not as quick as the earlier fi models. I would have thought your's would have been pre restricted/analogue speedo, the color and the pipe gives you the edge, is it a full system ?

·
Kansas Dave
19 Posts
I hit 186 (indicated) on a lonly stretch of highway. Once that fast is good enough for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I meant slow speedo, digital on the later restricted (Japanese gentleman agreement) Versions. Still not as quick as the earlier fi models. I would have thought your's would have been pre restricted/analogue speedo, the color and the pipe gives you the edge, is it a full system ?
Go for gold or go home (full yosh carbon fiber / titanium) + a little below sea level + motivation (fuzz) = 318kph

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I made 275 kph on fully loaded Givis on a new road in Idaho, but I had a quick vision of being smucked by a bird or something so I slowed down damn fast. It was thrilling, it always is. Plus I always want to come home to my life, my wife, my girls and friends. I don't want any epitaths reading "he went doing what he loves best". If that's the case, at this age, I want to go on the "down stroke".:evilaugh:
Maybe a bit offtopic, but here goes: I am going through Europe this summer, with my trusty old -97 XX. I do have Givis on it, and I usually ride with two sidemounted cases, 34 litres each. They are mounted on a wingrack. I don't use a top case.

I usually do 140 kph - 180 kph on the German highways. Do you, since you clocked 275 kph with Givis, consider it safe to ride that fast with Givis? I think the cases state a max speed of 120 kph.

I did ride a CBR600F 200 kph (gps speed) last year, but without givis. The same bike would give med 160 kph no problems, with givis. But I always worry about the cases not taking the punishmend.

Ah, I have clocked 180 kph (gps indicated) with the bird. Fast enough for me. So far.:smilebig:

21 - 40 of 59 Posts