Honda CBR XX Forum banner

61 - 80 of 5627 Posts

·
It's actually Titanium...
38 Posts
Took the Bird out for a day's ride in The Ardennes yesterday. Washed her afterwards to remove the bug cemetary that had developed on the front during the ride. Also cleaned and lubed the chain.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
You've left acid-laden bug juice unattended on that beautiful paint? Tsk tsk.. For shame.

·
Welding. How hard can it be?
3,643 Posts
Don't loose sleep, Shewie. They are parked on the plastic body guard that I have covering the nose cone. Okay, okay, I'll clean the old girl today. Peer pressure, sheesh.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Changed the rear caliper on the red one the other day as one piston is siezed and am still bleeding the damn thing ... yea yea I'm doing it correctly but there is still a persistant bubble .....

·
3,643 Posts
Well. Well. Well. 4 days until Winter officially kicks in ... and we had a 22 degree Cel day. Soooooooooooo due to extreme peer group pressure (bloody Canadians) I cleaned the Steinway.

I had hose in hand. The bugs looked at me again. I motioned the hose towards them. Their eyes widened in growing realisation. I motioned to the driveway, the footpath (remember that they had lost their wings, so escape would have to be by foot). Wide eyes were joined by furrowed wee insect brows. A wave of panic rippled through the squished fairing dots. Their legs had fallen off two nights ago. The hose twitched with impatience. The smudges squirmed (well, as much squirming as one can accomplish without wings or legs). I quietly and patiently asked them if they knew how to swim. The bugs exchanged perplexed glances. The hose came alive with 'The Death of One Thousand Litres' ...

:hotsmile:

Attachments

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well it's about time. I'm relieved that there was no mention of chisels, grinders or adzes in the removal process. Your Kiwi bugs must not be related to the ones here, which are directly descended from Ridley Scott's creature from the Alien movies and have acid for blood.

Got my fork cartridges apart. The compression valves were practically welded in place, as were the rebound valve nuts. Perhaps tomorrow will see the Race Tech valves install themselves. Or, more likely, I will have to help the lazy buggers in. This suspension stuff is a bit like witchcraft and I'm fresh out of 'eye of newt' and 'toad liver oil'.

·
Super Moderator
12,598 Posts
Shewie said:
This suspension stuff is a bit like witchcraft and I'm fresh out of 'eye of newt' and 'toad liver oil'.
:rotfl: what you really need are bug legs and body fluids ...... and you made Ghazzah wash them away.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
New front pads, back ones went back in, still plenty of life left in them, Oiled the chain,

New Z8 rear going on tomorrow, Big Queens Birthday run to Eden coming up and my tyre wont last that long, 2500 Kays in 3 days, Two up.

Will wash my headlight, I like to see where I am going,

The rest can stay dirty, It looks like its a bike that is ridden, Not kept in a display case, hahahahahahaha.

Its raining here and cold, So washing it is a waste of time,

Just about to clock over 60,000 Kays in 3 years, It sat in the garage for 12 months last year, Unridden, The Moped is not happy, She feels so neglected, she loves to stretch her mighty legs,

Reactions: Ghazzah

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Well. Well. Well. 4 days until Winter officially kicks in ... and we had a 22 degree Cel day. Soooooooooooo due to extreme peer group pressure (bloody Canadians) I cleaned the Steinway.

I had hose in hand. The bugs looked at me again. I motioned the hose towards them. Their eyes widened in growing realisation. I motioned to the driveway, the footpath (remember that they had lost their wings, so escape would have to be by foot). Wide eyes were joined by furrowed wee insect brows. A wave of panic rippled through the squished fairing dots. Their legs had fallen off two nights ago. The hose twitched with impatience. The smudges squirmed (well, as much squirming as one can accomplish without wings or legs). I quietly and patiently asked them if they knew how to swim. The bugs exchanged perplexed glances. The hose came alive with 'The Death of One Thousand Litres' ...

:hotsmile:

You my friend have stuck a bug in my head on installing during my winter mths that Factory Pro Shift kit, if I ever make make my way to NZ I gonna have a beer or a few with you for sure. Fak I gotta lay the head to rest after a stellar night!!

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
:rotfl: what you really need are bug legs and body fluids ...... and you made Ghazzah wash them away.
Quiet in the Peanut Gallery. Besides, the bugs and their legs had already parted ways, according to Bwana's last garage expedition report.

Pics, Inuit.

Alright, alright. Keep your feathers smooth, ya penguin. I'll try to pull the iPhone out and avoid getting it covered in oil long enough for a few snaps

·
Super Moderator
12,598 Posts
Oil change
service 003.JPG

CCT - the previous one I put in 43670 miles ago!

service 002.JPG

New (secondhand)clock for the dash

service 004.JPG

then a clean up for the engine whilst the fairing was removed.

.............. all done and dusted in 5 hours.

........ and the usual 600+ miles and 5 tank fills ...........this week every day was dry just a bit of early morning fog. Due to be back to normal in the coming week with rain and thunderstorms.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Per the flightless bird's request:

Fork out and ready for a bath in soap and water:

Cartridge assembly out:

These little alloy caps were really stuck on:

A little judicious tapping with a wrench eventually got them off:

Some more tickles on the (temporarily reinstalled) lower bolt to move the compression stack far enough to gain access to the circlip:

Then use the damper rod as a slide hammer to force this stubborn little SOB out (note the amount of debris accompanying it:

Trip to the solvent tank for the compression and rebound valves:

File the peening off the end of the threaded area to remove the nut:

A screwdriver to catch the stack and keep everything in order. This will be helpful later.

The new Gold Valve bodies. They all (4) require a relief hole be drilled with a #55 bit. Hard to see, but it's there:

No photos of the valve assembly process, there was much mumbling and scratching of head and involved. You have to log onto Race Tech's website and input a code provided with the kit and your weight, skill level and riding style. This generates the numbers you need to assemble the shim stacks.

Bloody hell.

I hope I got this all right. Here are the cartridges ready to go back into the forks:

Unfortunately, I am missing the new upper bushings so I can't proceed any further. Not a tragedy as I am still waiting to get my rebuilt 900RR shock back from Accellerated Technologies. Everything is waiting on the bushings and rear shock now. Should be riding next weekend though.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fitted wave disc's front&rear as well as a set of shorty blue clutch/brake lever's.
LED indicators are the next on the list...
cheers...:D

·
Super Moderator
12,598 Posts
Pete, that oil is not great looking .... tell me that didn't come out of the bike looking like that?
I wondered if the oil would draw attention :eyebrows:
The oil that came out was still in good condition (6500 miles) but I drop it into that old container that has seen many oil changes (car/van/bike) along with catching 'wash off' from chain cleans etc etc so it has a decent layer of 'residual sludge' that colours up dropped oil nicely.

Half a day later it appears that the clock is keeping time, so it appears that LCD clocks can loose time since as I suspected the wiring and connectors were all fine. For years I've never bothered about the clock (very occasional looks) but since it started to loose time I kept seeing it showing totally wrong time and it was bugging me ........ good old Ebay!

EDIT I note shewie has a 'spare hand' as well, far better with a camera than mine :clap:

·
3,643 Posts
6500 miles? Eeek. I do mine every 5000kms. And I use Castrol Power1 GPS 4T semi. And I love Michy Pilot Power 2CTs. At 36/38 cold. And I love muesli with soy milk and a banana for brekkie. :popcorn:

·
3,643 Posts
Inuit. Not a bad attempt at pics and commentary. ...now show us a pic of the bikes frame ... :hotsmile:

61 - 80 of 5627 Posts