Honda CBR XX Forum banner
6081 - 6100 of 6128 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Front sprockets just the stock rubberized is my suggestion or the oglebie. As for tires all I can recommend for the rear is the Bridgestone T32's. Not 100,000. But how's 20,000 for the rear and 40,000 for the front
Pretty good mileage on those tires. You run lower than OEM pressure if I recollect correctly?

I think you meant Obigene front sprockets, not oglebie. XXGuy had recommended those to me but shipping to Canada was outrageous. JT also make a rubberized front sprocket.

·
Registered
632 Posts
To answer the thread question - I've finally put everything together and went for a ride out, first time this year! Finally! Gotta say, it was really nice to zip around town again, but it was more a shakedown than anything else, I wanted to see if the stuff I tinkered on the wiring works, and since this was my first ride since the big service, I want to see how the bike brakes, pulls, cools down etc. Everything is in order, and since I ordered the master cylinder and clutch cylinder to be serviced with the repair kit, it really feels different on the brake this time around, first time that I feel brake so solidly.

Also, the bike is now on a custom Nitron shock and front forks are refurbished with 5W oil, I went around some really bumpy roads around town, the roads that would make me curse out loud when I would drive there, but with this suspension being done proper, it's really, really different. Not exaggerating, bike works differently at least on the normal speed around the city bumps and such.

All in all - perfect! Good to be back! :D

March this year, loading the bike on the van to drive it to the new mechanic :D

Today!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree with you bees. You forgot Penske, Ohlins or something similar at the rear instead of the 6mm shim as the Bird shocks do go kaput after a while. I have come back to riding after decades away. A few years ago (probably around 2013), I sat on an FJR at our Bike Show and instantly felt like the bike was made me, for ergonomically speaking. Now that I have the Bird there is no way that I would switch to an FJR.

I haven't ridden an FJR, but I betcha the engine smoothness does not come close to our Bird engines. Maybe I am wrong.
Not knocking the FJR at all as I think that it is a superb machine, and IMO it looks really nice. Just personal preference.

What I do like on WhiteRabbits FJR are the crash bars, back and front. How many of us have wished that we could protect at least some of our bike in the event of a fall.

View attachment 133991

WhiteRabbit, if you read this post, how do you like that monster sized windshield? Is it electric?

Ross
I really like the large windscreen. I like having the FJR and XX. XX is more fun to ride aggressive and the FJR is more comfortable.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well - the fun didn't last long, something is wrong with the bike.

I went for a "longer" (200km) ride today, it's summertime and all but I was a bit suspect of the temperature readings, the infamous Bird / temperature saga that everyone had at least once :D the fan would start on cue as supposed, the temp would drop, even in the slow moving summer in the city traffic, on the open road it would go down, but it didn't go down proper, I felt something was off.

Then I figured maybe I'm just overthinking, the temp on the open road is few degrees higher than usual or something, it's July, scorching heat, I wasn't on the bike for months so maybe I'm just overthinking it.

I come back home I look at the radiator for the "peace of mind just in case"...and...here it is.

I didn't take more pics I just shuttled home, annoyed :D what could be happening here.

·
Registered
2001 CBR1100XX in the fastest colour.
53 Posts

I went for a "longer" (200km) ride today, it's summertime and all but I was a bit suspect of the temperature readings, the infamous Bird / temperature saga that everyone had at least once :D the fan would start on cue as supposed, the temp would drop, even in the slow moving summer in the city traffic, on the open road it would go down, but it didn't go down proper, I felt something was off.

Then I figured maybe I'm just overthinking, the temp on the open road is few degrees higher than usual or something, it's July, scorching heat, I wasn't on the bike for months so maybe I'm just overthinking it.

I come back home I look at the radiator for the "peace of mind just in case"...and...here it is.

I didn't take more pics I just shuttled home, annoyed :D what could be happening here.
It looks like fluid coming from somehwere.

·
Administrator
9,704 Posts

Are you losing brake fluid? It looks the line is leaking at the crimp junction.

·
Administrator
9,704 Posts
Clean it up real good and pump the brake a bunch of times. If the fluid comes back the lines leaking by and needs replacement.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Went to check something on the bike - I just recalled that I left some dirt or whatever on the lower left part of the fairing, been there for few days since my last ride.

So I come around the bike and wipe that off, and I see this chip, missing paint. So going by what you've said about the caliper, I figured - could this be because of a stone, or is it DOT4?

Then I looked up to both of the cylinders and, well, this is the situation.

I'm speechless.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The family were away, so got the time for a rear caliper rebuild, new brake fluid and pads all round, braided brake lines on the rear (I hope done the front already as part of fitting straight bars), chain and sprockets, new tyres, new heated grips, new air filter.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Took delivery of my Supersprox rear sprocket recommended by Beestoys. Thanks Bees!

For fellow Canadians, you can order directly from the distributor Kimpex. Delivered within 3 days from Ottawa to Calgary. Importantly, they link your purchase to a local shop of your choice so you can go there in case of any problems.

The Gold ones are on sale right now. With shipping and tax my total cost was CAD $70. Orders over $99 ship free, but I did not need anything else so I paid for shipping.

Unfortunately they do not carry the rubber dampened front sprocket. Supersprox does make one, so I will buy it elsewhere or go with JT Sprockets or OEM. My chain and sprockets are still good so it will be a while before they get changed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
BTW, Kimpex have a Compatibility Chart which shows Interchange between different Honda models. This is what they had for my rear sprocket.

SUPERSPROX Drive Sprocket | Kimpex Canada

Charts

Make
Year
MOTORCYCLEHONDA2014CB1100 DLX
MOTORCYCLEHONDA2013-2014CB1100 ABS
MOTORCYCLEHONDA2002-2007CB900F 919
MOTORCYCLEHONDA1998-2001, 2003-2005VTR1000F
MOTORCYCLEHONDA1997-2003CBR1100XX Blackbird
MOTORCYCLEHONDA1996CBR600F3 Smokin Joe
MOTORCYCLEHONDA1995-1996CBR600F3
MOTORCYCLEHONDA1995CBR900R
MOTORCYCLEHONDA1993-1994CBR900RR
MOTORCYCLEHONDA1991-1994CBR600F2

·
Registered
632 Posts
Another update on my Bird - the whole fiasco with shitty service being done to it, I didn't have the desire to ride it, but yesterday I went for a ride and saw something accidentally - it's the FORKS.

The oily residue I saw on the caliper seems to be coming from the left fork. Needless to say - I got the fork "rebuilt" at that garage as well, with all original Honda parts, and now the left fork is oily, the bottom part of the telescope is all dirty and oily so I think it's not the caliper leaking brake fluid, it's the fork seals blown.

Absolutely fantastic.

On the way to the gas station I caught this wild NSX out and about, had to take some pics for the glory of Nippon :D

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
So this penguin is driving across the Nullabor (an Australian desert) and its car starts spluttering. It pulls into the next gas station and the mechanic says he'll take a look, and noticing the penguin was very hot he tells the penguin to wait in the freezer. Anyway, penguin jumps in the freezer and helps itself to some frozen treats. Mechanic calls out so penguin walks back out to workshop. Mechanic says "Looks like you blew a seal". Penguin wipes its mouth and says "its only icecream".

Sorry, couldn't help myself when I read about the fork seal...

6081 - 6100 of 6128 Posts