Honda CBR XX Forum banner
6021 - 6040 of 6050 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
New rear tyre fitted. Bridgestone T32, I was happy with the previous T31, although I have seen on another forum that the 32 might no give as good a mileage. I'll have to keep a check on it.
Replaced the rear brake pads while the wheel was out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
changed the output method of my motobriiz chain oiler. it's been working quite well but, like they recommend, you have to change the felt pad that does the actual lubing of the chain about every 5k miles.

i put a scottoiler scorpion dual injector instead, hopefully this will need less maintenance...

Shoe Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just replaced the CCT lifter on my new-to-me '03 bird, and enjoying that newfound quietness! Also gave the chain a good cleaning and lubing. Celebrated by taking it for a spin in which I "accidentally" hit 135 mph (deserted highway on a holiday morning). The fact that it got to that speed wasn't all that shocking; the fact that it was still pulling hard at that speed was!

Next up:
  • Decide if I can make the Russell Day-long seat the bike came with work for me. Previous owner was quite a bit taller than me and the seat was designed for him, so my reach to the bars is quite long. This is in spite of the Helibars. On my ride today, I tried taking weight off my arms by clamping my knees around the tank, and that worked very well. Thinking of investing in some tank grips to make that easier, and making ab exercises part of the daily routine, because that seat is otherworldly comfy. Who knows though, I might consider swapping it with some local Bird owner for a Corbin or a Sargent, if the opportunity arises.
  • Decide if I want a pipe. Part of me likes the quietness; it suits the smooth character of the bike. But I made the mistake of riding a Bird with Staintunes on it during my search, and it's hard to unhear those. On my VFR, I'm running an aftermarket pipe (2 bros Ti), and that can sometimes egg me on to ride harder. In the VFR, that's just fine. I'm not convinced it will be a good thing on a bike as fast as the bird though...

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,728 Posts
The Staintunes to my mind are the perfect balance of noise/weight/performance. And you can take the carrots out and in if you want. I swap them out a couple of times a year for the shits and giggles.

·
Administrator
9,530 Posts
Just replaced the CCT lifter on my new-to-me '03 bird, and enjoying that newfound quietness! Also gave the chain a good cleaning and lubing. Celebrated by taking it for a spin in which I "accidentally" hit 135 mph (deserted highway on a holiday morning). The fact that it got to that speed wasn't all that shocking; the fact that it was still pulling hard at that speed was!

Next up:
  • Decide if I can make the Russell Day-long seat the bike came with work for me. Previous owner was quite a bit taller than me and the seat was designed for him, so my reach to the bars is quite long. This is in spite of the Helibars. On my ride today, I tried taking weight off my arms by clamping my knees around the tank, and that worked very well. Thinking of investing in some tank grips to make that easier, and making ab exercises part of the daily routine, because that seat is otherworldly comfy. Who knows though, I might consider swapping it with some local Bird owner for a Corbin or a Sargent, if the opportunity arises.
  • Decide if I want a pipe. Part of me likes the quietness; it suits the smooth character of the bike. But I made the mistake of riding a Bird with Staintunes on it during my search, and it's hard to unhear those. On my VFR, I'm running an aftermarket pipe (2 bros Ti), and that can sometimes egg me on to ride harder. In the VFR, that's just fine. I'm not convinced it will be a good thing on a bike as fast as the bird though...
Russell will recut the seat for you. Give then a call

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,463 Posts
+1 on calling RDL as they will make the seat work for you and not as expensive if buying a new one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the good advice - I gave them a call. Initial thought is that it might be a toughie; previous owner for whom it was made is 6-3, 265 lb, and I am 5-10, 160 lb. A gap that large might not be within the range of adjustment without starting from scratch, but upon their request, I've sent them some photos of me sitting on it. Let's see what they make of it.

The fact is that the blackbird is pretty much always going to be more aggressive ergonomically than my other bike, a 2000 VFR. At some point, rather than try to force the blackbird to accommodate a riding position more similar to the Viffer's, I might be better served by working on my own flexibility and strength. What I need to ascertain is whether the Russell seat is within the envelope of what I can make my body handle. If Russell can help that process out a little by requiring less adjustment from me, then so much the better. And if it still doesn't work, then I'll look at trading/replacing the seat.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,463 Posts
Body conditioning is always good. When I bought mine I had always ridden Goldwings and was 50. Could hardly swing my legs up to the pegs... I'm 6'3" and now it is easier. I have a Corbin seat. Ride the bike for a while. And take care of yourself too.

Your seat would fit me perfect. I have a stock seat in perfect shape if you want to try it or my Corbin. I just got back from two 2800 mile trips done in 4 and 5 days. So if you're closer than that we can meet somewhere! I've done crazier things on a spur of the moment!

Reactions: WildDoktor

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,463 Posts
I've got a stocker too - I prefer the riding position, but the seat itself gets uncomfortable in a hurry. Where are you located? I'm in the Bay Area, CA.
I used to live in Novato up in Marin County. Now I live in Northern Illinois. Almost 4 yrs ago I made a trip through the Bay area. I do want to hit the coast again but you guys have been hot and burning up out there so I've stayed away. Jut rode out to Idaho twice in two weeks. But that was on my wing and my old ST1300.
As far as ergonomics go... search convertibars on this forum. You ban get a 6" rise on the bars. The beauty of those is... raise them up traveling long distance and then lower them down when you get to the twisty roads. No tools needed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pulled her out, charged up the battery and aired up the tires. Changed the oil and filter. She’s all ready for a ride after dinner tonight. I’m looking forward to it! Haven’t had much seat time the last few years but with gas prices the way they are now I’m planning to put more miles on this year than I have for the past several.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cleaned out the gunk around the front sprocket. Not the first time I've had to do this on a neglected bike, but always amazed at how disgusting it can get in there.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wheel Tire Crankset Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Crankset Automotive lighting
Fitted new front and rear axles yesterday with new chain adjusters and 4 spacers, and 5 new sprocket nuts, the orange on the axle ends was starting to get to me lol.
1 big thing I have noticed is there is no longer any slight brake pad grazing going on with the discs, that was an unexpected bonus.
I had to check at first my pads were still fitted properly when I wheeled her out my shed because there was no usual very light pad on disc sound lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got new VA State inspection at 181,452 miles and bought a 2013 FJR1300 with 13,355 miles on 11Jun22 as a spare bike. View attachment 133991
Nice, what do you think of that FJR? A buddy has one, and in some ways, it reminds me of the bird. Big, smooth inline 4, and tons of power. Didn't quite have the ballistic speed of the bird, and a bit harder to lean over, but also a much comfier stock rider triangle.

6021 - 6040 of 6050 Posts