Honda CBR XX Forum banner
5921 - 5935 of 5935 Posts

·
Administrator
12,916 Posts
New chain for Daily Bird, just starting to tighten. One of my lowest mileages on a DID chain ........... 29,896 miles, can't complain at that!

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Administrator
12,916 Posts
Had a hose failure on the supercharged bike, hose just too close to a header. It has been in this position since I built the bike so uncertain why it failed ......... apart from the heat
Changed the shape of the run which has gained me valuable space and air gap.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Blue Automotive design Automotive exhaust

Reactions: Big-Bird

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had a hose failure on the supercharged bike, hose just too close to a header. It has been in this position since I built the bike so uncertain why it failed ......... apart from the heat
Changed the shape of the run which has gained me valuable space and air gap. View attachment 132541
Super….charged….blackbird. These three words inspire terror in anything on the road.
Incredible. I’d love to see that in action on that part of the M25 with no cameras…. ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
yesterday; had a fork seal replacement job turn into a pain in the butt. left side bottom bolt would not come free of the damper rod. yes, i tried with the spring, spacer and cap (preloaded all the way up). a local shop kindly stopped what they were working on to try, no luck either. now it's at a honda shop, hopefully they have the specialty damper holding tool.

anyone know that part#? unless it's big bucks, i'd like to acquire one, the bird's a keeper.

any hope for fork oil contaminated pads? just for kicks, i've run them through a couple cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner with heat & dish soap. they're looking brighter, and the orange paint's now coming off the backing metal (ebc organics).

here she rests until i get that right leg back... some of us have neat work spaces, not me...

Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

for further entertainment, a couple neat video's suggested with the duck's link above (youtube's got my number);

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,336 Posts
You are probably going to have to drill the head off of the bolt. This is a nerve-wracking thing the first time you do it. I went to the hardware store and got a drill that was the right size (just slightly larger than the threaded part of the bolt.) and made of steel meant to drill hardened bolts. I used oil while drilling to lube the bit. Went well and I was glad I spent the 2 or 3 dollars on a good bit. Then the part still in the damper spun out easily by using my fingers. I was amazed at this and thought about why. This is what I came up with.
I believe that when forks don't get taken down for years then corrosion happens between the steel bolt head and the aluminum fork. It is a small gap between the bolt head and fork. This corrosion holds the bolt head in place and keeps it from turning and this is what causes the very problem you are encountering.
To prevent this from happening again I always coat the recess where the bolt head goes and the bolt head itself with a good quality anti-seize compound. So far it has worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,280 Posts
Next time put it all back together. (And for future fork rebilders). Use a hand impact or pneumatic impact and loosen the bottom bolt first. Then go about taking the rest of the fork apart.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,336 Posts
Next time put it all back together. (And for future fork rebilders). Use a hand impact or pneumatic impact and loosen the bottom bolt first. Then go about taking the rest of the fork apart.
Yea, learned that and another tip is...
Before loosening the triple clamp loosen the fork caps first then loosen the triple clamp and slide the tube out. Then hit the bottom bolt with an impact and a long Allen socket like Beestoy said. But make sure it is a tight fit and it is straight in. I see beginners having it lean and it will strip!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,280 Posts
To add to XX's comment also be sure the end of the wrench is flat and the corners are sharp. The bolt they use is a reduced head design so as XX states be sure your square in the socket before you hit the go trigger.

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,652 Posts
Yep what he says. Best advice is use non-seize on the threads. And no loctite.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What have I done to my Bird?
Well I worked my way to the far dark corner of my shed and found my bird, under a cover, where I left it ........... 10 years ago.
I think I will drag it out and get it going this summer :rolleyes:

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,652 Posts
Work in progress. Main job HEL SS braided instal. What a job along with rebuild kits for calipers and cylinders. Almost up to bleeding stage, the part I fear. Just got to put front master cylinder back on. Gee, HEL are an excellent finish and fit quality. Pity the kit didn't come with lines to replace the stiff pipes across the front guard.
So with all the fairings off, you just have to other stuff don't you. Blue T10 LED instrument globes for dials, white T5s for the idiot lights. Result looks fab. Horn and bracket repaint. New revised voltmeter/usb/on-off bracket to replace old one. This unit is one piece, much neater. Put in the new FPR to replace older one. This is the higher volume one that ran rich the last time I tried it, but also going in is a KN air filter that I hope might reduce that richness. I had petrol in oil so it had to be done, and I can't find the older FPR anywhere. Except for a queen's ransom. Oil change of course, with a Ryco Z411 filter here in Oz fitting the bill. Perfect replacement for the OEM filter. Swingarm clean. Chain clean. Making new blank plates for the old exhaust inlet for the defunct pair system. Hacksaw, files and a thick aluminium plate and time but worth the good feeling. A fenda extender. A headlight protector. Finally pressed the trigger on the shorty lower cowlings from Webike. Arrival April next year! Sheesh. Hopefully. Until then I probably can't be buggered putting the old cowlings back on. Not doing much riding anyway. Light sand and polish of fork legs and footrest/guards. Might even give the radiator shroud a cleanup. Future might hold new blue radiator hoses too, considering the bottom will be exposed. Maybe even ceramic coating the headers. I thought the headers were stainless, but getting a nut out of the rear header end with a telescopic magnet/light thing proved that wrong.
And that should be it for a few years. Not riding much now, but maybe more interstate once we open up again. Also tossing up a different bike for all the same reasons we all have. bike weight. age. my body. ergonomics. something simpler to work on.
Automotive tire White Motor vehicle Light Automotive design
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

5921 - 5935 of 5935 Posts