Honda CBR XX Forum banner
5901 - 5920 of 5935 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,336 Posts
True but this years monsoon season has come back with a vengeance. Not as much rain but 75% humidity. Think we got to 112 today. With this humidity cool vest isn't as effective but I wouldn't want to ride without it even still.
I follow a weather channel and I thought you guys were getting some good rain this year. 75% and 112... egads!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,280 Posts
Yeah we've had a couple good ones valley. Then it scattered out.

·
Administrator
9,280 Posts
Yep and the reason they have been sending out heat advisories all week.

·
Administrator
9,280 Posts
Now that's in the shade. I recorded 140F in traffic. Luckily it was in late August when monsoon season was over and humidity levels dropped back to our normal 17%

·
Registered
67 Posts
Changed the stator gasket or generator gasket today, not sure what's it called in English. Had a minor oil leak from it when driving a little aggresive. A drop of oil would leak out every now and again. Pretty sure as the temperature got higher the oil was getting thinner and then something would get out. Anyway I changed that gasket last year as well because of the same issue but according to the youtube video i watched to learn how to do it I didn't have to remove all the leftovers from the last gasket, just most of it, and if some small bits remained that didn't matter. But it didn't help and the leak was still there. Had a friend help me out this time and he's been a Honda guy since the early 80's. We removed the cover, scraped off every bit we could see from the previous gasket and went over both sides with some kind of really smooth sand paper he had. The edges looked new when he was done. He's done this several times on a lot of different bikes so I assume it's fine now. I just have to take a ride on a road where I can play and use som revs. Gonna do that as soon as the weather gets a little better:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did absolutely nothing to my bird today. Apart from updating blog/website with relevant news on the satnav project: The Blackbird – Mechanicality

Thing is... I've got me a new vehicle; a Citroën C4 Grand Picasso with nearly four hundred thousand kilometers on the clock. Most people (in Denmark) would say I'm ready for admission to the silly-ward buying one of these, but I've always been a sucker for orphaned, unloved, nobody-wants-me vehicles.
The C4 is an unloved mutt. Twas dirty as few, neglected, unserviced, unsellable. And there I was, in need of a new winter hack.

Irresistible...

A full week of resurrection activities, and now the C4 is back to prove 'em wrong!
This required my full attendance, fixing and testing out the vehicle in all sorts of ways, meaning I've not ridden my bird for several days.

In contrast, a Blackbird is easy to own. It just goes. But I have to prepare for winter; riding the 'bird in snow and salt is not an option. So, pouring hours into the C4 is part-fun/part-necessity. I kinda like restoring/detailing!

Save the whales blackbirds. From salt/sleet/snow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rebuilt one mirror that I got from the UK. It had bits of plastic missing - I repaired the plastic and resprayed them black.

Just waiting on the second one to arrive from interstate in Australia (UK took 5 days, Australian parcel, 16 days and counting! Ha!)

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Y
I did absolutely nothing to my bird today. Apart from updating blog/website with relevant news on the satnav project: The Blackbird – Mechanicality

Thing is... I've got me a new vehicle; a Citroën C4 Grand Picasso with nearly four hundred thousand kilometers on the clock. Most people (in Denmark) would say I'm ready for admission to the silly-ward buying one of these, but I've always been a sucker for orphaned, unloved, nobody-wants-me vehicles.
The C4 is an unloved mutt. Twas dirty as few, neglected, unserviced, unsellable. And there I was, in need of a new winter hack.

Irresistible...

A full week of resurrection activities, and now the C4 is back to prove 'em wrong!
This required my full attendance, fixing and testing out the vehicle in all sorts of ways, meaning I've not ridden my bird for several days.

In contrast, a Blackbird is easy to own. It just goes. But I have to prepare for winter; riding the 'bird in snow and salt is not an option. So, pouring hours into the C4 is part-fun/part-necessity. I kinda like restoring/detailing!

Save the whales blackbirds. From salt/sleet/snow.
You might like the YouTube channel called Hubnut then.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Well I've done THIS

:D it started with a idea to route a few wires next to the OEM loom to make a tidy install of my electronic gizmos that I'm fiddling with...but now, one piece of fairing after another, this is the situation. I'm thinking of refreshing a bike now, not really missing riding, just want to tighten the bike up - new shock is in my closet for 3 months haha, I skipped the regular service this summer, so now I'm thinking of doing a proper big service to the bike.

Among other things I'd like to do with the bike - repaint. The nose fairing is really in bad shape, when the previous owner did a few nicks on it he fixed it pretty badly, 2 of the headlight mounts broke, and the part of the nose where the rear view mirror goes is also in need of soldering - so might as well fix it all and have the whole thing resprayed.

If that's going to be done, I'd like to black out the stator/clutch covers - I presume powder coating is the best thing to do there, due to heat? And also, if I want to make the front forks look bit newer, how does that get done? Were they originally sprayed in silver or powder coated? I like the rough texture finish of them so I'd like to refurb it back to looking as new.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well I've done THIS

:D it started with a idea to route a few wires next to the OEM loom to make a tidy install of my electronic gizmos that I'm fiddling with...but now, one piece of fairing after another, this is the situation. I'm thinking of refreshing a bike now, not really missing riding, just want to tighten the bike up - new shock is in my closet for 3 months haha, I skipped the regular service this summer, so now I'm thinking of doing a proper big service to the bike.

Among other things I'd like to do with the bike - repaint. The nose fairing is really in bad shape, when the previous owner did a few nicks on it he fixed it pretty badly, 2 of the headlight mounts broke, and the part of the nose where the rear view mirror goes is also in need of soldering - so might as well fix it all and have the whole thing resprayed.

If that's going to be done, I'd like to black out the stator/clutch covers - I presume powder coating is the best thing to do there, due to heat? And also, if I want to make the front forks look bit newer, how does that get done? Were they originally sprayed in silver or powder coated? I like the rough texture finish of them so I'd like to refurb it back to looking as new.
I sprayed my engine covers with engine enamel spray paint from VHT. Does the job. My black is matte black, not gloss however it is not satin, it is a smooth matte. So far 2 months, no chips. No dramas.
The engine spray resists heat well.

Powder coating is a more expensive and time consuming option.

I resprayed my forks with silver epoxy paint, I just removed the dust covers and stachion covers.
A full refurb would be to strip the forks and powder coat them ( would need new seals, etc).

·
Registered
18 Posts
New Lightwerks LED DRL indicators up front, Oxford Nightrider LED sequentials in the rear, LED projector-style tail lights, new relay for those,
white dash LED color change,
new double bubble windscreen,
new rear tyre,
stainless braided HEL lines,
new pads,
Stahlbus speed bleeders all round,
refurbed calipers,
refurbed SMC,
new Strada 7 CNC black levers,
Touched up paint on radiator and engine casing as it was flaking
Pipewerx GP3 slip ons with baffles out
Pyramid seat cowl with XX decals
Pyramid Rear hugger

General clean

Giles rearsets on the way
Power commander V, KN filter, oil change and iridium spark plug change planned...

I like this bike.

5901 - 5920 of 5935 Posts