Honda CBR XX Forum banner

5801 - 5820 of 5845 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,075 Posts
As Beestoy stated... Right hand switch looks nothing like that at all. I had some old Mercedes that had that parking light feature. I just scratched my head and wondered why or when you would use that feature.

Thanks Fizzy,
I will look into that. There are plenty of clear lenses out there. I may go to Electrical Connection and see if their element will work. If it does then the new headlights and the DRL will be a perfect match for color.

I plan on using a new flasher unit made for LED bulbs. I put one in my gold wing and replaced the front and rear turn signal bulbs. Flash rate was fine... except both my blinker indicators on the dash flash as though my flashers are on. Put a rear set of incandescent bulbs back in. Works perfectly. I put the LED's back in. They are so much brighter and clean looking. Don't want the heat from the resistors either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,075 Posts
While continuing on doing winter/spring maintenance I naturally checked the brake pads. Presently 27,000 miles on and bought when it had 7,000 on it. Never changed pads on it myself so I believe that all are original. Fronts looked fine with half the pad used up. About normal for Honda pads as I get around 50,000 miles from a set. Then I looked at the rear set... Hmmm, there's the backing plate.... hmmm, egads! I don't see any pad left!

Don't think I would have gotten much more out of these pads... Definitely got my money's worth.

Had 3 sets in the drawer. All good now.

·
Registered
709 Posts
… I had some old Mercedes that had that parking light feature. I just scratched my head and wondered why or when you would use that feature.
UK has lots of winding narrow country roads and lanes without street lighting (or it is broken or obscured by vegetation). There are therefore times when you're parked up that having a light visible helps stop other motorists clipping or hitting your parked vehicle at night. Bikes here have red reflectors on the rear but nothing on the front (if you have to park facing oncoming traffic esp on a single lane track). During the day the switch allows for the DRLs to be on but not the main beam.

When would you not want your main beam on (or DRLs at night) you may ask? Well several situations, firstly before you even ride… if weak battery you can turn off power hungry headlights (old filament bulbs) and perhaps still manage to get started esp in the cold. Secondly, and more importantly, there are situations (typically security related) where headlights MUST be turned off e.g. during our Northern Ireland troubles, when approaching a vehicle check point a vehicle was required to turn off its headlight to prevent dazzelling the security forces on duty (military or armed police). I guess it is difficult to see numbers and types of people in a car (four armed IRA or parents and kids), their potential activity/ intent and if necessary open fire if blinded by headlights. Sadly incidents (some fatal) did occur when vehicles were fired upon triggered by failure to turn headlights off.

Recent ISIS type vehicle based activity in London is a reminder this dynamic is still relevant. While IRA was almost exclusively over in NI, I do recall riding through several London check points when attacks were happening in here and having to do the same.

Likewise I believe entering and leaving military establishments still requires the same for the same reasons. Over in mainland Europe (before EU meant open borders) similarly there were many border checks though I can't recall in all honesty whether the same light discipline was required.

In the UK there was a huge safety initiative by goodie-two-shoes to force bike headlights to be hardwire to be always on to legislate for safer biking. For the above reasons that legislation failled. I personally always ride with my headlight switched on anyway to be more visible and have added DRLs and hazard light functionality. Only ever used my parking light twice in over 35 years but if that (unbeknown to me) saved my bike twice why wouldn't I at least want the option?

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,075 Posts
Yeah, while in the military I had to shut lights off. But safety legislation went through in the late 70's and all motorcycles in the USA had to be manufactured/sold where the headlight is always on. Cars are now that way too with DRL or low beam.

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
Well started out as a fork seal and valving upgrade. But then I found notched stem bearings Soooooo.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Fitted a new 290cca SSB battery, the old Yuasa 200 cca. It was 5 years old and still working fine but I didn't want it to let me down.
The trickle charger did a great job.
Cheers

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,075 Posts
Took apart the mirrors to look at the turn signal bulbs. I can't believe Mother Honda made that such a pain to do.

Reactions: WildDoktor

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,075 Posts
Ordered LED bulbs for... front turn signal switchback DRL bulbs and rear turn signals and tail lights. All from SuperbrightLED.com.
Ordered a LED flasher from CustomLED.com.
Now will order front clear turn signal lenses.

Only drawback on Beestoy's CC... have to take two bolts out and move it to change taillights. Ho-hum, since my 20 year old bulbs still work not a big deal. Especially when LED bulbs will never have to be changed again!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,075 Posts
Ordered a set of clear front turn signal lenses. Saw a pair on AliExpress for $15. Same pictures as the ones on Amazon. But at half the price after shipping costs. I didn’t trust it. Amazon, should be here in 6 days....

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ordered a set of clear front turn signal lenses. Saw a pair on AliExpress for $15. Same pictures as the ones on Amazon. But at half the price after shipping costs. I didn’t trust it. Amazon, should be here in 6 days....

Hi XX,

When I first went clear lenses I disliked being able to see the orange bulb, so went mirrored bulbs. That was back in the day of filaments. However, I recently spotted a set of DRL switch back mirrored leds. Which way have you decided to go… fried egg or mirror?

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,075 Posts
Hi XX,

When I first went clear lenses I disliked being able to see the orange bulb, so went mirrored bulbs. That was back in the day of filaments. However, I recently spotted a set of DRL switch back mirrored leds. Which way have you decided to go… fried egg or mirror?
Definitely not the amber bulb. Didn't know what a mirrored bulb was so I looked it up. Not that either. So this is what I ordered.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,075 Posts
Clear lenses came in today. Was wondering if spending $20 more on a pair off of Amazon from an American company with 4 day wait was a smart choice or if I should have gotten the Ebay Chinese pair. (Yes, these were probably made in China but they have DOT # on them and if I had a problem I would have better luck dealing with them instead of someone in China)
Opened the shipping box and found a nice box and inside of that a well packaged and protected set of lenses. I will find out if they fit Monday.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Oooh shiny shiny new… they look the ticket, esp with DoT/ E-mark…. one less thing to worry about! Vote here for the extra bucks were well spent.

Old school bulb once you go clear lenses:

plus if "fried egg" bothered you.

New school (LED switchback):
&

At least we have options.

XX have fun with your new mod bro.

All the best M1

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,075 Posts
Mallow,
I have never seen one of those mirrored units! Went with option #2.
I am hoping that the color will be close to the new headlights. Will take a short video of the end results.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Do you know the colour temp of the leds involved? I look to see if the advert states it in Kelvin (approx 55000-6000K is "white" daylight. Higher gets bluer, lower more of an orange hue). Also looking for the brightness (ref in lumens) will help the match too.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,075 Posts
Do you know the colour temp of the leds involved? I look to see if the advert states it in Kelvin (approx 55000-6000K is "white" daylight. Higher gets bluer, lower more of an orange hue). Also looking for the brightness (ref in lumens) will help the match too.
I looked for the Kelvin but they didn't have it. I don't like the blue look.
I am going to check to see if those LED tail/brake lights that flash 4 times that I got for my Goldwing will also fit the XX. I think they might.

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
Ktech cartridges installed (compression and rebound). 1.0 spring also waiting on .9 to come in then I'll put it in the left leg. Also have upgraded compression adjustment needle sets coming (wrong ones sent in kit). Swapped on an aftermarket blue nose cone. Going to start pulling the tabs out of my broken up factory cowl. And setting them into the fiberglass bodywork I've got on the shelf.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got me some one on one action with the rear brake.

Gave everything a gooooood clean, rear caliper is working well and gave the swingarm a good clean at the same time.

5801 - 5820 of 5845 Posts