Honda CBR XX Forum banner

5721 - 5740 of 5740 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hah bite your tongue I put 50 miles a day on mine commuting to work. It's the only thing kept me safe all this time😁.
So, there are blackbird commuters out there... Well, if you've got a reasonable distance to go - and it's not through inner city or congestion - it makes sense to use the bird in season. I'll give you that :)
And yes, riding a bike will keep you corona-safe. Unlike riding a bus during rush hour. Ewww!

Still, IMO the bird is not for streetfighting. I've done some 50k miles on a CB500 - narrow OE handlebars, folding mirrors and no extras sticking out. Downtown rush hour it'll happily do combat with scooters and leave anything faired/batwinged/lardy-arsed in the dust. Including blackbirds.

Which doesn't mean I can't see myself doing like you - a 50 mile commute. Out of town. In season, as I don't live in a snow-free area like you! I've tried tiptoeing around in 31F on moist tarmac, and it's no fun. Bambi on ice... And in a few days time, the weather forecast says 14F...

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,992 Posts
Admitted; I'm a satnav user.
I simply cannot be arsed with figuring out how to get to whatever POI the ride is meant to offer. I'd rather enjoy the scenery while getting there.
So, I need a GPS on the bike, accessible and easy to work with. This instantly excludes any form of cellphone-based system, as none of these are designed for users wearing gloves. Alas, a motorbike-specific model it is.
I've gone with TomTom. Mostly because the Rider series offer a 'twisty route'-feature that's absolutely brilliant. It also features a roundtrip thing that, combined with suitable landscape and the twisty route ability yields interesting rides. No need to guess, TomTom knows where all the good stuff is.

Anyway - I'm digressing. The issue is how to get the bloody satnav stuck to the bike in a sensible manner. I've used the Allen-key-mount so far, but its angles (horizontally as well as axially) are not quite to my liking. And now, with winter, zubzero temperatures and Corona, it's become DIY time.

With the allen-key-mount as a base, I've applied a bit of creativity and come up with a 3D-printed adaptor, very small and unobtrusive, placing my satnav just right (IMHO!) and allowing for axial alignment too. Four plastic bits, a bolt and a nut. Extendable to other makes and obviously opensource, in case you want to make your own remix. I'm at the roadtesting stage, waiting for weather conditions to allow me to stresstest the design., so not quite ready for 'release into the wild'. But you can have a peek at it here. I'm encouraging comments and input on how to improve, so don't be shy...
I like that! Does the mount bolt expand a rubber plug to get a friction/press fit or is it a plastic?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,992 Posts
Hah bite your tongue I put 50 miles a day on mine commuting to work. It's the only thing kept me safe all this time.
Did you mean sane or safe?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does the mount bolt expand a rubber plug to get a friction/press fit or is it a plastic?
Expanding plug is made by slitting the hexagon up and make a tapered 'jacket' for an ordinary M3 nut. Plastic gives, so the slitted-up prongs grab the sides of the hex hole when the plug is pulled in. It actually works. A standard M6 bolt, nut and washer - and four 3D-printed plastic bits. The satnav ends up as close to the stem nut as i see possible, leaving the dash unobscured.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,992 Posts
Expanding plug is made by slitting the hexagon up and make a tapered 'jacket' for an ordinary M3 nut. Plastic gives, so the slitted-up prongs grab the sides of the hex hole when the plug is pulled in. It actually works. A standard M6 bolt, nut and washer - and four 3D-printed plastic bits. The satnav ends up as close to the stem nut as i see possible, leaving the dash unobscured.
Let me know how it tests out. Looks like it should work.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Storm
It's a mix of surface and freeway. And yes the weather does keep me out of ice normally.

·
Registered
591 Posts
...it's not uncommon for blackbirds to not do that many miles? I mean - it's not exactly a nimble streetfighting commuter bike.
I beg to differ too… I've been doing 20+ mile city commute on mine every day for 23 yrs as well as the 1,000 mile wkndrs.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
I beg to differ too… I've been doing 20+ mile city commute on mine every day for 23 yrs as well as the 1,000 mile wkndrs.
See I'm not the only one🤪

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
it's not exactly a nimble streetfighting commuter bike
Mine was certainly a commuter bike but I was covering 100 - 200 miles a day, perfect tool for that sort of commuting.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I know that british circumstances are not comparable to mine - Denmark. Still, I've managed to put down 12.000 km since mid-March. Average, compared to earlier years. However, given that this bike in its 22 year lifespan did 82.000 km (3.800

Moving on, you might consider giving your bikes a little TLC as a compensation?
Infamy, infamy.....they've all got it in infamy.
Nice Pete, well deserved.

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Couldn't find your bike washing sponge then?😁
Bike was clean(ish) shame the oldgitinashed was in his normal garage attire. :ROFLMAO:

(my defence is that I was really surprised when the photographer said 'and now for some with you', hadn't expected that and normally I avoid having my photo taken)

Reactions: deadman

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,992 Posts
My copy was delivered yesterday. Nice one Pete (y). Couldn't find your bike washing sponge then?
Take a photo of it and post please.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,992 Posts
XXGUY, Pete posted a picture of the magazine a couple of posts up.
Yes, no centerfold though???
Is that the stock tank as from the photo's angle the tank looks to be more angular/sharper than the stock tank.

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Yes, no centerfold though???
Is that the stock tank as from the photo's angle the tank looks to be more angular/sharper than the stock tank.
Standard tank (one of the only standard parts!) have a look at the end of my build thread. Not sure about copywrite but since the photos were sent to me I'm assuming it is already 'out there' and the mag probably isn't available where a lot of members of this forum live.

5721 - 5740 of 5740 Posts