Honda CBR XX Forum banner

5681 - 5700 of 5740 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Doctor Electronica is back in the house again, today I borrowed a multimeter and used it for the first time in my life - despite finishing vocational school of Electrical Engineering. It's sad but I'll make it right, this cluster will make amends for me sleeping at school lol

Anyhow, I tested the voltage on coupe of the leds under the LCD, and it ranges from 2.05 to 2.1V. Now I have to google and research is it problematic to replace these with the white ones that I bought which are 3.2V.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Doctor Electronica is back in the house againagain…
LMFAO! I'm no sparkie but I feel your pain. I blew my carbie fuel low LED (on a project dash) coz I didn't even stop to think the dash may be at something less than 12v!

Applied 12v to test and bang… one spectacularly blown diode. Blew the entire glass dome apart. Fortunately not attached to the dash (and anything else delicate thereabouts including my eyes).

Lesson learnt though. Okay, my observation is too little voltage an LED won't glow. Greater glows and brighter as the voltage goes up. Pass an upper threshold and boom… blown. So I suspect your red will glow but not brightly unless 2.1V is below its threshold (noting 3v as the typical).

I suggest you try applying 2v to it in isolation and see what happens.

That's my empirical approach… so no Nobel Prize for Theoretical Physics for me!

Good luck dude!

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Tom
I'd maybe set one up and drive it with a battery or power supply and check the light intensity. A 1 volt change can have a pretty big effect on the luminous output of the bulb. You may find the light isn't bright enough at that input level.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I don't know how I did it - but I did it. LOL

First time I picked up a soldering iron, it was a bit rough on first few LEDs but got into the groove of it on the final ones. Looks good although I'll go for a night ride these days just to make sure if the LEDs are too bright, or the rev gauge leds are too weak...I can always desolder and put others in no problem :D But yeah I was so pleasantly surprised when I went to check on my solder, and all 11 lit up, lovely jubbly.

And the final edition rev gauges are minty. Goodbye amber, I will always remember you :D

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Well done -Tom- hope you find the end results to be perfect for your requirements. (y)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'll go somewhere pitch black tonight to see how the dash looks, and I'll take the spare one too, just to see if these leds are too bright...in the garage they seemed ok but I need a dark-mode test. These are 5000K so white white, I think I got a set of less luminous ones and those are 6000K so some blue tint, not sure how those would turn out, I kinda like this look. But most of all I love the new rev gauge face, so much nicer compared to the amber :D

Also a word to the wise although I'm sure everyone here knows it, don't buy cheap stuff. I bought some cheapo soldering hot tweezers from eBay thinking it should be enough for the job, but given that I never soldered, I didn't realize it's not just about getting a device that can heat up on its tip......these tweezers got bent from cleaning them in the brass sponge, they don't snap properly anymore, and all in all they'll go in the garbage.....and had I just spent €30 more I would get some entry level Hakko or something, that would last for years. Oh well.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just went into the dim lit garage to check both gauges, quick test of luminosity, took a photo from the same spot, identical exposure settings on both.

Back to the drawing board, and for anyone trying this in the future - do not buy LEDs with luminosity rating of 2000 mcd :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mate I feel for you but admire you to a greater extent. We here like to push the art of the possible to maintain, tinker and improve our BBs. I applaud you. Carry on. You'll get there and others can follow your trail blaze more easily should they so wish.

Fyi as I tinker with my dash (differing gear indicators) I noticed some come with a, sensor to alter the brightness (daytime riding verses night brightness requirement). It's beyond my kniwledge base to opine/ help/ guide other than have you considered such a seemingly simple tweak to your brightness requirements?

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,993 Posts
Just went into the dim lit garage to check both gauges, quick test of luminosity, took a photo from the same spot, identical exposure settings on both.

Back to the drawing board, and for anyone trying this in the future - do not buy LEDs with luminosity rating of 2000 mcd :D
Check these guys out.

Bluegauges.com

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
523 Posts
Meh it's nothing to admire, just a soldering tinker job, better to spend some hours on that than wasting it online or whatever, feels very nice to take on something and finish it, but nothing special here, we got supercharged Birds here made in DIY fashion now that's something.

Also, I did sort of suspect that these 2000mcd could be too much, but as this is a learning gig for me, no biggie now. I'm sure there's a way where you can calculate the luminosity on the original dash and buy appropriate LEDs, but for illiterates like me, it's trial and error :D.

@XXGUY nah that's a purchase, I have to diy this :D

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
we got supercharged Birds here made in DIY fashion now that's something.
This is going to get embarrassing, a couple of days ago a photographer from Practical Sportsbikes magazine was here photographing Duck. What you should be scared of is the photographer insisted I appear with the bike. Now I don't like having my photograph taken at the best of times and I wasn't prepared. Full 'oldgitinashed' workware was worn!
Giant padded jacked with added burn holes, dirty work trousers with knee pads hanging out and retired walking shoes with holes in them!

So what might be appearing soon will be one immaculate bike and one very scruffy oldgitinashed who was tempted out into daylight. :ROFLMAO:

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,584 Posts
Just the way we like it Duck. Congrats. What were you thinking, a tuxedo?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Reminds me of the corny old signs you find in english pubs which have very low exposed beams you're in danger of bashing your head on. The sign reads "Warning: Duck or Grouse".

We have TheDuck and we have the Grouse...
This is going to get embarrassing… Now I don't like having my photograph taken at the best of times and I wasn't prepared... Full 'oldgitinashed' workware was worn!
😂😂😂

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I subscribe to that mag Pete. They have a "In your shed" regular feature. I heard they went to see Ade, but couldn't even get in his shed, so came to you instead 🤣

Look forward to the article. Was the bike ridden?

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Was the bike ridden?
No. :) but as you say they came to me because there is plenty of space in my shed.... and yes there is one bike missing, I couldn't fit it in! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I heard they went to see Ade, but couldn't even get in his shed, so came to you instead 🤣
Plenty of room in my shed now. I'm moving garage middle of next month. In the meantime numerous boxes of tools, spares and consumables are currently residing in my hallway. 😥. Back of the van contains tool chests and compressor.

5681 - 5700 of 5740 Posts