Honda CBR XX Forum banner

5621 - 5640 of 5644 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,921 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I’ve just purchased mine 7 days ago. The previous owner deferred a lot of maintenance so I have been catching up on that.

So far:
Wheels sanded and repainted.
New air and oil filters.
New brake and clutch fluid.
New brakes pads all around.
New Bridgestone Battlax T30 EVO’s.
New rear disc.
Brake pistons cleaned.
Chain and sprockets cleaned, degreased and lubed.
Bodywork removed and repainted stock metallic black.
New graphics ordered.
Fork oil changed.
Swingarm pivot regreased.
New brake levers.
Wheel bearings inspected.
90 deg valves stems installed.
Stator cover repainted.
Heated grips with built in LCD voltmeter.
New OEM key blanks ordered.
40mm lower foot pegs ordered.
Thorough clean and detail.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,921 Posts
Well I’ve just purchased mine 7 days ago. The previous owner deferred a lot of maintenance so I have been catching up on that.

So far:
Wheels sanded and repainted.
New air and oil filters.
New brake and clutch fluid.
New brakes pads all around.
New Bridgestone Battlax T30 EVO’s.
New rear disc.
Brake pistons cleaned.
Chain and sprockets cleaned, degreased and lubed.
Bodywork removed and repainted stock metallic black.
New graphics ordered.
Fork oil changed.
Swingarm pivot regreased.
New brake levers.
Wheel bearings inspected.
90 deg valves stems installed.
Stator cover repainted.
Heated grips with built in LCD voltmeter.
New OEM key blanks ordered.
40mm lower foot pegs ordered.
Thorough clean and detail.
You've definitely been a busy little beaver! What's next?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,921 Posts
Ride it before the weather turns. I’m on the western slopes of The Rocky Mountains, it shows up early.
Haha, yes, it does.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
...40mm lower foot pegs ordered...
Hi Sikorsky,
Congratz on purchase. FYI if it's got the original exhaust you may not have enough clearance for 40mm drop. Some of us max out at 25mm/1" without aftermarket pipes. Worth a quick check just in case you need to tweak your order?

Rgds Mallow1

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've owned two identical 1997 blackbirds. The first one I got sideswiped on. Total loss, kept the bike, motor still ran.

Bough another identical bike that was actually assembled early in 1996 and sold in 1997. Took the 10k mile engine out of it, put the 30k mile motor in from the crashed bike.

The 30k motor I have done some work to.
+4 advance reluctor wheel
6Sigma jet kit
K&N
Delkevic tri oval with 4-1 header
Exhaust side porting
Single shim 0.008thick head gasket
Updated tensioner
Aluminum chain guard
Euro gearing (higher speeds)
Lots of arp fasteners
Removed center stand

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bodywork hasn’t been returned yet so in all its naked glory I rolled it into the driveway. Took out the battery and cleaned 17 yrs of accumulated road dust from all the innards. Left it in the sun and 34C heat to dry as I made a 6mm shim and installed it. Then cleaned years of chain lube from the previous owner. Finished things off with a polish of the original exhausts.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Why do I feel some sort of vibrations on the pegs when I'm in 3rd or 4th gear and mid-upper revs? Certainly seems like a new thing. It's sort of "buzzing" vibration, I think it's on both pegs, definitely on the left one. Where do I start looking?

·
Super Moderator
8,345 Posts
Of check chain and front sprocket first. Then balance shafts.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Chain and sprockets new few hunders miles ago, front sprocket rubberized type. Checking balance shafts I presume requires engine strip?

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,552 Posts
Just placed orders for fender extenda, HEL +60mm hose kit and headlight protector. All jobs to do after the garage gets built. Which is waiting on stage 4 COVID restrictions to be lifted..
The most useless thing I bought this year was a 2020 planner.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The buzz vibration on the peg update - rolling down the road at speed, pulling in the clutch, the "buzzing" instantly goes away on the pegs. I changed those rubbers on them as well.

Read up on sorting out balancer shafts, three of them, is not as complicated except for one and should be done only after valves had been checked and sorted.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ta-da!

So I removed the speedo (you can ride the bike without it, in case you're wondering) and I'll try to tweak it in the best possible way, nothing over the top, as OEM as I can but without the orange ting. I removed the speedo just by taking the windscreen off but be warned, the single connector for the gauges is very stubborn. Also, the gauges are fixed with 3 bolts, one regular, and the lower 2 on each side are basically fixed into the plastic...somehow, I managed to make one of those turn in place, so I had to pull the bolt from the plastic case, which was kinda easy but bummer that it happened.

I have some ideas on what to do with the gauges, will update you. Nothing wild or tacky I promise! :D

Also, it's so fascinating the details on these bikes, the back of the gauge face with varying halftone pattern, more dense as it's closer to the bulb, so it lets less light thru...very clever! Thank you Soichiro! :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just a side question - anyone has a diagram for the gauge connector? I'd like to test it out here on the table.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another side question: Are there any replacement instrument Dial face plates available? I've seen a White set... And would replacing the plates require any special tools? Mine don't look too good - could do with a swap to new ones.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'd like to know how those replacement faces look too. This original one is so well made and printed, plus it has the 0rpm pin that I don't know how to remove...so how do aftermarket ones tackle this, would be curious as well.

Found this! Now to figure out...how to light up the gauges in the comforts of my home :D

5621 - 5640 of 5644 Posts