Honda CBR XX Forum banner

5581 - 5600 of 5644 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
There's somewhat faded feel on the brakes, but my style of riding, or braking, is that I use a lot of rear brake (visual inspection on the rear pad screams change)....but what baffles me is that the pads look like there's enough life left.

4000 km's at least, prehaps even 5 or 6000 km...shouldn't they be almost finished, even if you ride slow and easy?

Also I took that digital meter to check the disc thickness, both are 4.72....which is odd again, I mean those are 20 year old discs, almost 100,000 kms :D

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,552 Posts
Chuckling here... Especially considering your whereabouts.

Well, perhaps I was thinking more along the lines of Ceaucescu, Honecker or summat the like. Iron fist in a business suit. Not to be messed with.

Right now, the bike carries a sign stating "Orient Express", which is a hint to its swift but still luxurious approach to getting on with things. But there's just a tad too much Poirot attached to that name, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Night Prowler? - naah, it isn't black enough, and besides, AC/DC are a bit too rowdy to match.
Aussie laconic humour has me say finish and be done with it so how about 'A Horse With No Name' by America if ACDC are too rowdy.

·
Super Moderator
8,369 Posts
It's very possible depending on the pad design that the rotors will show very little wear. If those are very old pads original equipment or a organic base you could well be experiencing brake fade. Try changing the pad first and bed the new ones in. See if it helps. If they are fading now you need to get them out. There not doing you any justice or safety.

·
Registered
486 Posts
This is why I'm kinda confused - I did around 40000 km's on the bike since I got it, and I only used EBC HH pads, which are supposedly harder on the rotors than the OEM spec. The new pads are in, getting changed asap, but I was just curious on the rotor wear and pad wear, I was expecting worse figures.

·
Super Moderator
8,369 Posts
I run ebc's as well. I had to change rotors I want to say at around 100 to 120,000 miles. I'm wondering if they weren't bedded. Well. Or you could have just got a funky set.

Reactions: -Tom-

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, what have i done to my 2007 bird lately...

After i purchased it i noticed it ran hot. no one could tell me when it had been changed so i had the radiator flushed and refilled with fresh fluids, cut two new keys. the last 2 blanks in NZ, sorry anyone that needs one, youl be waiting 8 weeks or more. and i had the oil changed. coming up i am replacing the plugs and air filter, winter maintenance

one thing i will be doing is after much reading here i know what the bag of marbles noise is. i have on order an ape manual cam chain tensioner lifter and also i found an X-11 CCT so im going to keep the manual one as a back up and see how long the x11 one lasts?

I read up in the manual that for my bird the thermosensor should start the fans at 102 degrees but it didn't until 106 degrees. it might not seems much but the haynes book says its past its used by date so it is on order along with a new thermostat and rad cap. just to make sure all the bits to keep it cool are doing there job correctly.

turns out the service manual was under the seat. didnt know that, what I found is from the service record booklet is my birds been serviced every 6000k like clockwork, with 50,000k on, she is a nice low k 13 yr old

·
Registered
60 Posts
View attachment 129532 Hello all, what have i done to my 2007 bird lately...

After i purchased it i noticed it ran hot. no one could tell me when it had been changed so i had the radiator flushed and refilled with fresh fluids, cut two new keys. the last 2 blanks in NZ, sorry anyone that needs one, youl be waiting 8 weeks or more. and i had the oil changed. coming up i am replacing the plugs and air filter, winter maintenance

one thing i will be doing is after much reading here i know what the bag of marbles noise is. i have on order an ape manual cam chain tensioner lifter and also i found an X-11 CCT so im going to keep the manual one as a back up and see how long the x11 one lasts?

I read up in the manual that for my bird the thermosensor should start the fans at 102 degrees but it didn't until 106 degrees. it might not seems much but the haynes book says its past its used by date so it is on order along with a new thermostat and rad cap. just to make sure all the bits to keep it cool are doing there job correctly.

turns out the service manual was under the seat. didnt know that, what I found is from the service record booklet is my birds been serviced every 6000k like clockwork, with 50,000k on, she is a nice low k 13 yr old
hi fellow kiwi i have just done adjusted the stock cct for more push rod tension its pretty easy simple and now my cam chain noise has gone also i fitted a parallel fan switch for the radiator to come on manualy if you want more info i can pm you cheers chris

·
Registered
486 Posts
I liked T31, good rubber for the Bird.

Another of my stupid questions - but I've been kinda baffled with fuel consumption for my last 3-4 fillups. I always tank the bike fully, until it starts to overflow lol, and use Fuelio app to keep track of my fuel stuff. Anyhow, 3 times in the row, 40-42 MPG (approx 5.5 L / 100), I've been riding on open roads, but I wasn't going super slow, regular riding...could this be a culprit of something with fuel delivery, sensors? Or am I complicating things again :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
8,369 Posts
Sounds about normal for steady state cruising even at speed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anyhow, 3 times in the row, 40-42 MPG (approx 5.5 L / 100), I've been riding on open roads, but I wasn't going super slow, regular riding...
I'm also surveying fuel economy - being all new to the bird and that.
Since March 22 I've done 5.200 km at an average of 14.04 km/l. Considering this bike comes with 164 bhp and is 22 years old, I won't complain. But 5.5l/100km seems a bit optimistic to me. Keep going and see if the statistics change.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Took a riding safety course this saturday. Our local racetrack; emergency-braking, evasive maneuvering (countersteering), slo-mo-maneuvering.
Bird ain't no slouch. Scraping my boots and almost doing stoppies. Four hours of fun.

Considering a level-up to tackle something more challenging. Not race, but more focus on fast cornering.

·
Registered
181 Posts
After approx. a 3 year hiatus, took the '99 Bluebird for a short ride (about 140 km), 2 up.

Reactions: WildDoktor

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm also surveying fuel economy… … 5.5l/100km seems a bit optimistic to me
Me too though perhaps if stats started in mpg (US default) and were convered to L/km then the imperial gallon v US gallon may be a source of some of the difference if converted incorrectly unknowingly (US gallon being smaller than Imperial).

Just a passing thought ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Finally got around to hooking up 12VDC to my (temporary) GPS install.
I'm going to Germany, you see. On the lookout for a 2-piece set of leathers, and visiting Louis in Kiel seems to be worth it. Now, visiting Kiel using a GPS is easier than visiting Kiel using a paper map, so I managed to get my backside off the couch. Only to find that a previous owner had had the same idea that I was planning to execute; steal 12V from the position-light in the headlamp.

I took off the left lower fairing and some of the black plastic trim to route the cable to the front of the nose cone - and found a pair of leads already macgyvered to the loom - ready tfor me to solder onto.

Easy-peasy. I even added a fuse to the extension cord, so all should be well.

Ready for my first bird-powered 400-mile outing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Finally got around to hooking up 12VDC to my (temporary) GPS install.
I'm going to Germany, you see. On the lookout for a 2-piece set of leathers, and visiting Louis in Kiel seems to be worth it. Now, visiting Kiel using a GPS is easier than visiting Kiel using a paper map, so I managed to get my backside off the couch. Only to find that a previous owner had had the same idea that I was planning to execute; steal 12V from the position-light in the headlamp.

I took off the left lower fairing and some of the black plastic trim to route the cable to the front of the nose cone - and found a pair of leads already macgyvered to the loom - ready tfor me to solder onto.

Easy-peasy. I even added a fuse to the extension cord, so all should be well.

Ready for my first bird-powered 400-mile outing.
Now that sounds like a good idea. I was going to route mine back to the battery, but the light sounds like less wiring and will turn off when the ignition is off too.

I'm hoping to go to Germany but waiting for the quarantine to be removed here in the UK.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys , I put kuriakin grips / weights / throttle boss on my old bird and it transformed her , no bar riser no lower peg , try it you won’t regret it , all the best cobbers 😊

·
Registered
486 Posts
New tires, staying faithful to Bridgestone and I didn't want to change to S22, went with the same I already had, S21.

Despite tire looking decent considering the mileage (approx 6000 km's), the switch to new set reminded me that tire wear should not be the main factor when deciding on a tire change. The way bike acts now on city bumps (which unfortunately this place is full of) is IMMENSE. There's no comparing my last 2000 km's on the old tires with how the new set feels. I think I even made another of my question posts here about the harshness of the Bird, or maybe I asked someone, it was that annoying. The bike rides much more plush now.

Also same set of pads, EBC HH's, and the mechanic inspected the discs, he said they're in incredible condition considering their age and mileage, plenty of meat on them and completely even surface, no rough spots or anything.

One thing I am kinda surprised with is the chain. I've been faithful to DID brand, ZVMX always, and I'd always buy it from the most reputable sellers on eBay with big and positive ratings so I don't think I got a fake DID, but this chain of mine has probably 10000 km's and the mechanic said it's worn, the links are visibly misaligned - when looking at the chain at an angle you should see all links forming a straight line, on my chain each link has its own angle, so the chain has been loosened. Way to little km's for that, although I do find myself riding the bike lazy, high gear, low revs, applying the throttle, which probably puts a lot of strain on it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Went for a trip to the shop - in Germany. Louis in Kiel, a mere 180 miles away.
Got myself a set of Alpinestars leathers to replace the considerably more baggy Held ones I have now.
I've learnt that going faster makes baggy clothing blow up. Michelin-man-style... This was rarely a problem on my CB500, but has turned out to be mucho annoying with the bird. Because I seem to be going faster :)

And yesterday's GPS install worked OK too.

One question though.
I've got a Scottoiler installed to deliver its output near the front sprocket (making the whole thing so damn invisible I didn't even know it was there until I found the oil canister underseat). So far, It's kept the chain nice and very lightly oiled. Clean looking. But I've only done low speed riding with it (bar a few short bursts) for the last 6000 km/3 months.

Yesterday, I got onto the fabled autobahn and had a go at some higher speeds for longer time. GPS recorded 230 km/h. That's not the issue.
The issue is that having returned home I visually inspect the bike and find the left can covered in an ever so light mist of something sticky that has caught dust and grime. Enough to take away the steely shine. And, the chain seemed much less moist. Dry, in fact.

I went over the whole thing with clean rags and wiped off black, slightly oily matter to restore the surfaces & chain to clean. No obvious point of origin for this oily misting could be seen. An even spread.

Now, anyone out there with a scottoiler install who can tell me if this is normal? That's the issue; I would like to know if my scottoiler can be trusted at higher speeds.

5581 - 5600 of 5644 Posts