Honda CBR XX Forum banner

5521 - 5540 of 5565 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Made mine jealous as I worked on a friends undermaintained 10 yr old cb600 hornet and showed him basic maintenance.
All 3 calipers were binding heavily
Chain dry as a bone and sagging 2 "
Brake fluid was never changed and like honey
Rear suspension was all on min settings and sagging and bouncy
Now it's better but still need to set the front fork preload tomorrow
Paul

·
Registered
363 Posts
just discovered that a seal i had replaced in my front right caliper had swollen up and was gripping the piston
and binding the caliper
so off it came and i checked all 3 pistons and it was the lowest one
popped out the piston and changed the seals and now the wheel turns pretty freely
paul

·
Registered
61 Posts
Took the missus to Denmark's most northerly point; Skagen. Our first proper mway-experience, and I'm happy to report she liked it! That, and some other business made this a 400 km-day. Nice.
I'm slowly getting to grips with the bike - it sure is a far cry from the CB500.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wow and I though Dk was locked down?
In belgium we have to stay within our commune of have a very good reason to exit it
The coppers had blocked the main road nearby on saturday to do a full inspection of every vehicle ...
Welcome to North Korea in the eu

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow and I though Dk was locked down?
In belgium we have to stay within our commune of have a very good reason to exit it
The coppers had blocked the main road nearby on saturday to do a full inspection of every vehicle ...
Welcome to North Korea in the eu
Ouch.
No, here things are getting better. Hardware stores, food stores, many small businesses like hairdressers, motorcycle stores(!), kindergartens and even IKEA are open by now (our local politicians are miffed by the IKEA thing, because they'd advised IKEA to not do that. Advised. IKEA just didn't take that advice - swedes don't believe in shutdowns, as is evident if you go to a swedish city).

Most notable to me is the lack of open cafes and restaurants - meaning everywhere I go, I end up on a public park bench with something takeaway for refuel.

Anyways; border to Germany is closed. No Autobahn. Hrmpft. I've even done my homework locating some good bits on a map (AutobahnSpeedhunter):
Capture.PNG

But to no avail. Eintritt verboten.

Oh well.

Now, with the rain meteorologists are promising for the next few days, I can just as well begin adding farkles to the bike. Starting with a proper USB charging outlet and a powered GPS mount, for which the bits have just arrived in my mailbox. This means I'll have to figure out how - and where - to break into the bird's electrical network. And how to route cables.

BTW: Has anyone else noticed the almost total absence of underseat luggage compartment? That's one thing I miss from the CB500; the (big)shoebox-sized cargo hold placed vertically just behind the engine, letting me transport a heavy chainlock near the bike's center of gravity.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ouch.
No, here things are getting better. Hardware stores, food stores, many small businesses like hairdressers, motorcycle stores(!), kindergartens and even IKEA are open by now (our local politicians are miffed by the IKEA thing, because they'd advised IKEA to not do that. Advised. IKEA just didn't take that advice - swedes don't believe in shutdowns, as is evident if you go to a swedish city).

Most notable to me is the lack of open cafes and restaurants - meaning everywhere I go, I end up on a public park bench with something takeaway for refuel.

Anyways; border to Germany is closed. No Autobahn. Hrmpft. I've even done my homework locating some good bits on a map (AutobahnSpeedhunter):
View attachment 129250
But to no avail. Eintritt verboten.

Oh well.

Now, with the rain meteorologists are promising for the next few days, I can just as well begin adding farkles to the bike. Starting with a proper USB charging outlet and a powered GPS mount, for which the bits have just arrived in my mailbox. This means I'll have to figure out how - and where - to break into the bird's electrical network. And how to route cables.

BTW: Has anyone else noticed the almost total absence of underseat luggage compartment? That's one thing I miss from the CB500; the (big)shoebox-sized cargo hold placed vertically just behind the engine, letting me transport a heavy chainlock near the bike's center of gravity.
well there is space behind the engine but its not accessible easily, perhaps usuable for stinky swedish fermented fish into DK ?
by the way there is a really nie bike hotel near to the frontier
B+B dannevirke D24811 they even have a little museum
stayed their last autumn
paul

·
Registered
61 Posts
well there is space behind the engine but its not accessible easily, perhaps usuable for stinky swedish fermented fish into DK ?
by the way there is a really nie bike hotel near to the frontier
B+B dannevirke D24811 they even have a little museum
stayed their last autumn
paul
I prefer to keep a safe distance to Surströmming. And it's not getting near the bird either!

B&B Dannevirke is out of reach too. In Germany. I've heard of it, though. To me, this B&B is not of any particular interest since it's only one pitstop from home. But what's with the museum you mention? Is it on-site or nearby? What seemed to be relevant links on their website were all 404, so I'm in the dark here.

POIs: I have an affinity for WW2 and techical stuff. Saw Cité d'Automobile in Mulhouse last summer. And Speyer too. Sinsheim in 2018 I think. Imperial War Museum in 2014. Next, there's a section of the Maginot line open for public. And it could be fun to see Mamerki/Mauerwald in Poland. Penemünde and Prora too.
Oh, and I still haven't seen 3rd floor in the Hofbrauhaus, München. Couldn't find anywhere to park the bike.

So much to see. None of it available due to covid. Hrmpft.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Storm
You could do what I have done with my cruise control kits. Pic a low loaded circuit from the main fuse box and tap off the power side of the fuse and run a separate line for your accessory. Then it's key controlled as well. I run 3 of my powered lines that way. It's been 10 years now and it's not given me any problems to date.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I prefer to keep a safe distance to Surströmming. And it's not getting near the bird either!

B&B Dannevirke is out of reach too. In Germany. I've heard of it, though. To me, this B&B is not of any particular interest since it's only one pitstop from home. But what's with the museum you mention? Is it on-site or nearby? What seemed to be relevant links on their website were all 404, so I'm in the dark here.

POIs: I have an affinity for WW2 and techical stuff. Saw Cité d'Automobile in Mulhouse last summer. And Speyer too. Sinsheim in 2018 I think. Imperial War Museum in 2014. Next, there's a section of the Maginot line open for public. And it could be fun to see Mamerki/Mauerwald in Poland. Penemünde and Prora too.
Oh, and I still haven't seen 3rd floor in the Hofbrauhaus, München. Couldn't find anywhere to park the bike.

So much to see. None of it available due to covid. Hrmpft.
At the b+b the mini museum is actually the hotel decoration

For the maginot line there are several gros oeuvre open near sargumines area
As if course there is verdun not far away
For winding roads the south voges is good route de cretes etc

·
Super Moderator
12,521 Posts
As if course there is verdun not far away
For winding roads the south voges is good route de cretes etc
Agree with that, took in those areas and roads on our way back from Slovenia last year, wanted to stop longer. When we can all travel again my hope is to spend a full week in the Voges.

·
Registered
363 Posts
hi Duck
if you are happy with the idea id like come along for part of the mission, ill also be planning to a fair bit of the italian trento alps in late august with a GF when the vacation traffic eases up
paul

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,820 Posts
Made mine jealous as I worked on a friends undermaintained 10 yr old cb600 hornet and showed him basic maintenance.
All 3 calipers were binding heavily
Chain dry as a bone and sagging 2 "
Brake fluid was never changed and like honey
Rear suspension was all on min settings and sagging and bouncy
Now it's better but still need to set the front fork preload tomorrow
Paul
Fork oil change is most likely due! Hope he buys you a steak dinner!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
With the six month suspension on MoT's I decided to let the 'Bird's certificate lapse. Then, on a whim, last week I called my usual test station to see if they were testing bikes and the answer was "Yes. When can you come in?"

Arrangements were made and I was thinking about switching the HID back to standard because there have been lots of tales recently about bikes being failed due to a change in MoT requirements.

I thought about it, but decided I couldn't be arsed and took the bike as it was: "If it fails, it fails." was the thought for the day - but it passed - without a single murmur. I remember thinking afterwards: "Strange how a little detail like a bulb can make or break your day." Obviously, I've got a great big smuggy smile on my face as I write this: don'tcha just love it when you didn't plan it, but it all came together anyway! 😁

·
Registered
363 Posts
first day of "relative freedom of movement " in belgium finally allowed after 7 weeks confinement by Ms Wilmez unelected head of interim peoples democratic regime of belgium;
possibly a distant relative of Mr Kim;expert rider of white horses with back hernias

got on the bike and went into the ardennes for a 300 km round trip ( just under a tank used )
luckily the country roads were practically deserted and fairly dry ( thank jupiter )
not one copper in sight for once ( maybe finally self distancing ? )
so finally i could put the machine to its proper use
its indeed a lot more nimble than my earlier cbr1000f and the combined brakes make " trail braking " very easy

even curves with wonky variable radius were able to be done moderately well ( first real outing of the year ;so rusty )
some nice sights seen
look up if you wish ;
king tiger at la glieze
a rather well preserved example in a small village
waterfall at Coo
for those of you who wish to try a decently surfaced road over about 30 km with some nice curves try the north south road from "trou de bra" to" lierneux" either north or south
sure to put a smile on your face
there are several others in the region but some with uninspiring rough surfaces
happy riding and stay free
paul

5521 - 5540 of 5565 Posts