Honda CBR XX Forum banner

5501 - 5520 of 5565 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you let air get into the middle one you are in for a nice amount of flushing
I use brake line clamps if I do work on the calipers trapping the fluid in the hoses
Then when all is reconnected I release the clamp and quickly flood the caliper with fluid before the bubble can migrate back up the hose

·
Registered
461 Posts
All the OEM part retailers don't have the clutch cable listed anymore. What the hell, throttle cable is available, clutch cable discontinued?

What's the part number for '02 clutch cable?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've seen these threads on other sites and have decided to blatantly rip them off.

I will start:

Tore the rear shock out to take to my local suspension guru to use as a baseline in the rebuild of my 'blade shock. Pulled all the plastics to find a spot for the shock reservoir, change the R/R to a mosfet unit, and do a bunch of stuff up front. Changed the upper fairing stay as the old one had a slight tweak (anyone who wants the old one can have it for shipping $), fabbed up a bracket and installed my Stebel Nautilus (thanks Twisted Throttle for the on-line install guide, it saved me a bunch of noodling to find an appropriate mounting point), tidied up the gaggle of wiring, relays and circuit breakers I have stuffed behind the gauge cluster, and (finally) installed my indiglo XX tach face. Forks are coming off and new springs and gold valves will go in when they arrive.

Thoughts:

The stock horn is anemic and pointless. My twin Fiamms were LOUD. The Nautilus is GAWDAWFUL LOUD. I love it.

The tach face overlay required a wire be run out the back of the cluster which was made easier by releasing the actuator motor from the PCB. I did this without paying close attention to the motor's orientation and had a 50/50
chance of putting it back in the right way. Reassembled and test fired. Tach now runs backwards. Aargh. Man card revoked. IQ downgraded to "sometimes remembers to breathe without reminding and doesn't drool on self. Much".

So what have YOU done to your bird lately?
What type of shock, springs and valves did you put in mate?

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,820 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I couldn't get my old bird started after her winter hibernation, it turned out the alarm and immobiliser system (DataTool System 3) was no longer responding to the two remotes. Its always been a PITA since i bought it last year.

The bike wouldn't start so after some investigation and a helpful you tube I ended up linking out the entire system and with a couple of small copper links i made up and it started!
I've since made up a secret switch so I can still immobilise the bike when parked up.

Lots more to do in lockdown, stay safe

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm going to save this because I find that humorous. "Last purchase "

I did find out how to get the frozen exhaust manifold bolts out without taking the top of the engine apart on the 76 TA! So this summer that's going to happen and a new clutch. Then new speakers and send off the radio and 8 track player to get refurbished.
Here's a pic of the TA if anyone hasn't seen it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
XXGuy! You had me wondering if I was in the right Forum! I Too have a TA that has been waiting for my attention to restore it for 20 years. It's a 1975 and life seriously got in the way after the restoration originally started in 1997. I pulled her out of the lockup last month and it is now in my friends workshop with the Bird which I'm also doing a full strip and service on. Its been a tough month as 5 days after this, we got locked down so I haven't been able to visit them since.... :cry:
The Birds.jpg

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,820 Posts
XXGuy! You had me wondering if I was in the right Forum! I Too have a TA that has been waiting for my attention to restore it for 20 years. It's a 1975 and life seriously got in the way after the restoration originally started in 1997. I pulled her out of the lockup last month and it is now in my friends workshop with the Bird which I'm also doing a full strip and service on. Its been a tough month as 5 days after this, we got locked down so I haven't been able to visit them since.... :cry: View attachment 129215
This one has been repainted, new carpet kit, new back package tray, some of the driver seat panel upholstery been replaced and the headliner replaced with NOS material. After all these years I put a new gas tank, lines, and sending unit in. All new brake lines, calipers, shocks, water pump. Besides that it is all original. Had it since 6/91. No rust!
Buccaneer Red! Love your color. I had a 73 like that. Sold it. Had a chance to buy it back but didn't. My friend bought it though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
took off lod mirror assy and heated the backing plate with a heat gun to soften it up
prised out the oxidised old mirror
have a new mirror on order and will install next week

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just fitted a Corbin seat that bought elsewhere. It had been sitting unused in a garage from new, and the price was right, so... The seat I replaced was a “Custom” seat – very well made and with gel packs for rider and pillion. It's had more than seventy thousand miles of near-constant use, including some lengthy European tours, and I'd describe it as “beginning to show its age”.

The support and comfort it provides remains as constant as it ever was, and the degradation it has suffered is purely cosmetic, so I might just see if I can get a reasonably-priced repair done, rather than spend two hundred and seventy-five pounds for a full recovery job.

This seat had me sitting comfortably “on” the ‘Bird – which is fine for big mileages – but we’ll be doing less of those in the future (thanks to CV-19).

The Corbin I replaced it with has been lowered, but I’ve sat on a lowered seat on a ‘Bird before and I loved it because it put me lower “into” the bike. Being lower and with less padding, the Corbin offers more support and a much sportier riding position for the occasional “hooning days” of the future, as I’m kinda thinking of selling my R1.

When I first sat on it I thought, “this is great!”; and it felt even better when I actually rode the bike.

I’ve waxed lyrical for long enough, so I’ll keep the rest of it short.

A much better riding position for me because the lower seat:
  • shortens the reach to the bars
  • shortens the reach to the footrests
  • improves legs/feet positioning
  • easier to move around the tank when cornering
  • easier steering input (legs/feet) and improved support from the "stop" on the seat when accelerating
  • improved steering feedback through the bars (“isolated” because I’m not “leaning” on them)
I could go on, but those are the most important points for me – and I’m delighted to say that I’m very, very glad that I bought the Corbin.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bird came with a corbin seat when purchased and original. the original has been in storage for 16 years now I used it once. Love the corbin very comfortable for my now old bones

·
Registered
9 Posts
Put her up on the stand to sort out a possible stuck injector. I had some gas in the oil and replaced the FPR twice to no effect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5501 - 5520 of 5565 Posts