Honda CBR XX Forum banner

5481 - 5500 of 5502 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,785 Posts

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,451 Posts
can you elaborate on what the suspension guy did? is your suspension stock? I know the bike's supposed to sag about 1/3 of total travel with the rider but, did he tell you about damping adjustments?
He revalved the front damping. Of course replaced seals and other normal maintenance. I already had racetech .95 springs which he said were fine for my weight of around 88-90kg.
Then a rebuild and revalving of rear shock. Kept to the book re sags etc..
Before that the suspension was normal BB average crappy. Thumping/jarring over bumps. Even with racetech and 5 wt oil. At the end of a ride, with the thumping and slight jarring it was quite tiring.
On the way home from the work done I could still feel the road. I could still feel those bumps. But the thumping and jarring turned into suitable road surface information. Felt more planted. Much more pleasurable to ride. He asked me about my riding. I'm older now so I'm no scratcher, wheelie, burnout type of person. No track days. I like to have a machine that day can do Melbourne to Sydney in a day (1000k) with some degree of comfort. And then if I find myself in the mountains, .... I let rip alongside a ducati monster and triumph bonnie. So aim was plush, but not to extent of sacrificing infrequent spirited riding. He didn't put a squat valve in, no need. I'm no razor edge charger out of corners, and therefore rear can stay a little softer. I have to say he nailed it. I had looked at all the aftermarket shocks, JD's forks mod, Andreani etc.. But to support and buy local with the result I wanted at less cost was the decision I made. I was waiting to do this before making decisions about further improvements. If I was a track day guy or a life of spirited no-speed limit roads, then maybe something else. Suffice to say the further decisions can still be on the table. One of those however might be a changeover. :eek: With some neurological leg damage, dropfoot, a broken wrist at 19 and other stuff I'm starting to think about something like a Triumph Tiger Sport. Maybe keep the BB as well. Take a few years really doing it up slowly in garage, then putting club plates on it. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
977 Posts
On the upside; the red colour paintjob my new bike came with, is growing on me. It's lush...

Also, I'm contemplating how to go about setting up the satnav. On here, I found this thread using the right-under-my-nose available 12-mm hexagon mount. I, however, am not a fan of RAM mounts, so I'll probably fabricate my own bespoke solution. Taking inspiration from this item, found on eBay:
View attachment 129031
I see an M12 hexagon capable of expanding, thus locking in place. Hmmmm.........
Nice looking bike ;)
I've seen a similar setup but instead of just the above fitting it's a threaded rod with washers on the bottom ball race running through the headstock with a ball on the top of the decorative hex nut ;)

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,785 Posts
I love the Candy Glory Red ..... View attachment 129048
That's a very nice picture. I have to get my daughter to take some pictures this summer of me going around some sweeping 90° corners. So much better in action!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
i have a candy red and a jet black one both are fitted with panniers
one krause ( now out of production ) and the other H+B and both with bagster tankcovers and bags
the candy looks better
they also did a electrc blue one that id like to get my hands on
when im really old id like a titanium one... i already have the tank but the panels are as rare as a rocking horses fart
the other rasberry red one is an icky tint as is the yellow one
i sure wish it was easy to post pics as im a IT luddite

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,785 Posts
i have a candy red and a jet black one both are fitted with panniers
one krause ( now out of production ) and the other H+B and both with bagster tankcovers and bags
the candy looks better
they also did a electrc blue one that id like to get my hands on
when im really old id like a titanium one... i already have the tank but the panels are as rare as a rocking horses fart
the other rasberry red one is an icky tint as is the yellow one
i sure wish it was easy to post pics as im a IT luddite
I do like the blue but that was 2003 only here and that was the end of sales in the USA.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Daniel
14 Posts
Well. I wanted to go for a ride, but my battery was flat, so I charged it, and as I took it out the garage, it started to rain, so I put it back in the garage. That was the end of my ride.

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
Looked lovingly at them. It's been beautiful Spring weather here but my local police are manning roadblocks, no unnecessary trips.

Don't think I could blag a ride as my 'daily exercise'. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oil, filter and EBC pads bedded in using the DietDrThunder technique. Industrial strength braking and one finger stoppies no problem.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,785 Posts
Put new grips on it. The stock pair were getting pretty thin. These are foam grips from flooded Bird. New bar ends that have CBR XX on them.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The ramp sort of serves as lock. But my garage floors were pretty smooth so the dolly kept on sliding. I added non stick tape to the bottom of the ramps and it works great.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Has a Norton commando years ago, wouldn't have fitted on that dolly because the side stand was way long and would have missed the edge completely. She spent plenty of time in the workshop though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Added a new screen to replace the crack and scabby looking one. Rebuilt one of the front callipers after I saw one of the dust seals looked swollen/twisted; I have an uncooperative bleed to finish now, then I will need to check the other calliper seals which I assume will also have issues.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
I'd wait on the bleed. You know Murphy's watching you from the corner. And while your backs turned he's gonna twist one of them.

5481 - 5500 of 5502 Posts