Honda CBR XX Forum banner
161 - 180 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
-wwww

It’s a fair cop, guv’nor. I dun it, bang to rights, it was me! 😔 And I’m still singing the praises of the ’Bird, even today (aa-wwww, bless)! 🤪
BTW, the excellence thing also applies to the VFR (750 & 800). Honda screwed up with their 80's VF self destructing and went all out to remediate that with the VFR and never looked back. I think it was the 82-84 VF's.
Wikipedia:"The 748 cc Mk.I VFR750 was introduced in 1985, and was over-engineered in a bid to re-establish a reputation for reliability."
Honda probably sold it as a loss leader initially. Their great racing success in the Nineties was based on the RC45 V4. The 5th Gen VFR800 RC46 is a de-tuned RC45 engine to the best of my knowledge.
One of the greatest bikes ever produced (with the usual crappy suspension and R/R problems). I know! I have a yellow 5th Gen sitting alongside my Bird. A totally different bike and superb in it's own right. Problem free, high mileage engine just like the Bird's. I think that TTXPC on this thread will agree with me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I came scorching off the end of the EJ road and there was a road block on the end at the turn off to Jamieson,
Bugga, Im walking home from this one, Hahahahaha
Nope, No hair dryer in use, Phew, What a relief,

They were stopping bikes and giving them a brochure on safety and some other thing I forget about now,
I was too busy getting my heart rate back down to normal, To even think about what he was talking about,
Normal licence check, I cant remember if he gave the breatho test or not, I was rattled, Hahaha

But this copper had three Blackbirds and he loved my risers, He was very interested in how it handled,
He even said how my risers looked so comfortable to ride with,
We had a good chat about Blackbirds and their handling and how good the Birds are,
We chatted for about 15 minutes before another bike group arrived and he had to speak to them,
We each wished each other a good day and I left,

That was one day I was glad to be gone,
"No hair dryer in use " What's that mate?

·
Registered
492 Posts
What do I like about the Blackbird? Well lets start with A!...

Amazing! Beautiful, Classy, Delightfull! Energizing! Frightfull, Great! Hoot! Incompassing, Joyous, Knockout! Landmark, Magnificent, Nectar! On the money! Praise worthy! Quality, Reliable! Slammin! Therapeutic! Unbelievable! & UNDERATED! Vintage! Winner! Xenoblackbirdphilia Yipeee! AND Z... Can someone figure out "Z"!
Hope that answers yur question! 😁

·
Registered
16 Posts
+1-1 gearing, that sounds interesting. What's that mate?
Down a tooth on the countershaft sprocket, up a tooth on the rear sprocket, still does 280, but acceleration is much improved. Still goes from 0 to in jail speeds in nanny states of Australia quite quickly

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Down a tooth on the countershaft sprocket, up a tooth on the rear sprocket, still does 280, but acceleration is much improved. Still goes from 0 to in jail speeds in nanny states of Australia quite quickly
Thats squashy speeds in Victoria, As well as jail speeds,
Squashy means squashed in a big vehicle press to makes cubes of steel, cars and Bikes,

Reactions: TTXPC

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thats squashy speeds in Victoria, As well as jail speeds,
Squashy means squashed in a big vehicle press to makes cubes of steel, cars and Bikes,
Yes indeed, I'm in Vic, there are still a few places where you can wind the bird up, if you're carefull, closed course competition only 🙃

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Thanks for that. Should pull pretty well, I imagine!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for that. Should pull pretty well, I imagine!
Other members of this forum way more knowledgeable than me have posted on it. Just do some searches. 'Sprocket gearing' 'Sprocket size' etc.
If you go the other way i.e. changing the large sprocket to 44 (for N.America which have an OEM 45) and small sprocket to 18 (from 17) it corrects the speedo error and gives marginally better fuel consumption due to lower revs at highway speeds.
E.U. bikes came with a 44 sprocket OEM. Don't know about Australia, and no idea why Honda did this.
This is the way that I may go as my chain will be due for replacement soon and the idea of an accurate speedo appeals to me. Bird is plenty fast for me already so losing a teeny of that doesn't bother me. I am usually halfway to the next traffic light before the cages have even shifted into 2nd gear, because it takes one second or less to get to the City speed limit in 1st gear on the Bird.

Depending on which article you read our Birds do 0-100kph in 2.9-2.4 sec. I will go with the German Motorrad at 2.8sec. I think www.motorcyclespecs.co.za posts manufacturers specs which are probably exaggerated. Love the site, though.

I just watched the Motor Week review on the latest Canadian spec BMW M3 (about C$100,000 as tested). 0-100km is 4.2 sec and 3.9 on the more expensive M3 Competition model. They are twin turbocharged with lots of the latest technology bells & whistles.

Our Birds with 1996/1999 technology blows it away. 😁😁😁

How many Birds can you buy for $100,000?

What would a Bird do with a turbo on it? H'mm!

That's one of the main reasons for loving a Bird! It moves fast from both a standing stop and when it's already moving regardless of which gear you are in!

Yet it is smooth as a turbine, rock steady, and incredibly reliable. Reliable= less $$$ long term and plenty enjoyment for a very long time.

BMW and 'reliable' just don't go in the same sentence. That's why they only give you a 4 year w'tee. Fun to own & drive if you have deep pockets.

My F4i is fast on take off, but so buzzy that you cannot see anything in the rear views due to the vibration. Get a cross wind on the F4i and I need a change of underwear. Comfort....non existent for 6'1".

First link is an enthusiast's website.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Laser/radar gun
Oh Boy! I really have become slow! I should have figured that out! Do Aussies have a slang term for radar in a box? We have them at virtually every light and in ghost cars in this Nanny country. Just a big Cash Cow for government as accidents haven't gone down. They keep on pushing the 'Speed Kills' baloney instead of addressing the real issue......pathetic low standards for Driver/Rider licensing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That video says it all 👍
More contented owners. First link is an Aussie site. It just goes on, and on and on. I have no idea why these bikes are so undervalued on the used market. Good for us though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My last post on this topic as I think the topic is QED ("quod erat demonstrandum")!

My first ride on the Bird was 300km and this is what I found amazing. Someone else said it for me.

[/QUOTE] 'Remember those little 1000R's have to wait for power.. 1100's don't. ' + 'smoothest bike I have ever ridden '

Sixth review from the top.

And I love this post from a Honda motorcycle technician, no less.

'when the XX came out I knew I was going to own one as it was a lot like James Bond. Smooth, Refined, and ready to deliver a serious ass kicking at a moments notice. '

His full post below

2005-04-27

Hello all. Being a Service guy at a dealership, I daily ride everything that the Asian engineers throw out there. The bikes coming out now are mind blowing to be sure. Technologically advanced to the point of making the perfect bike for just about anyone's taste and riding preference. But, for me outside of work, I want to ride with my younger buddies through the twisties, take my girl touring through the country scenery, riding through heavy traffic with instant acceleration and stopping power for safety, and blow the doors off almost any youngster whom wants to challenge a "Real, live Honda Technician". (Gotta reputation to uphold, ya know?) My Fj1200 was perfect for many years and 54,000 miles, and when the XX came out I knew I was going to own one as it was a lot like James Bond. Smooth, Refined, and ready to deliver a serious ass kicking at a moments notice. I finally got one for myself, as I had already logged many miles on other people's bikes. It's the perfect next step. Kinda kills me when I read reviews where someone says "it leans slightly more to the SPORT side" Gee, ya think the world fastest production bike 2 years running might be slightly sportier? It is. But that's where I feel safest, right where I need to be should the dumb motorist arise from "No-where". Try swerving fast on a 1800cc touring bike and you will probably find yourself upside down in a bean field. I'd rather have the power and handling to avoid problems than be involved in something that I COULD have avoided if my legs weren't spread in front of me and I was sitting reclined trying to nose my bike through a sticky spot. CBR1100xx is for me the ultimate bike, and I await the next bike that comes along like this all around wonderful "Like having your own roller coaster" motorcycle.

- Mr. Thomas, Florence, Kentucky

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Sharpens them up nicely, already had a Speedo healer to deal with the change in Speedo error, which is a good 10% optimistic from the factory
Who makes those sprokets? Is the drive/front sproket rubber damped like the OEM ones?
Thanks,
Nato.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Do Aussies have a slang term for radar in a box?
pathetic low standards for Driver/Rider licensing.
Twas your statement on education I found most interesting, but let's take it from the top.

Danes have those too, in different forms. Little tripods in the roadside with the bear hidden behind shrubbery or a building. Near-invisible. Nicknamed letterboxes because of the similarity to a standard roadside letterbox. Cameras mounted inside of what looks like a bird box; birdboxes - usually found at intersections. And then the most common speedtrap; a photovan. Cop in a box - complete with a little table, a chair, a laptop and all the amenities to help said copper through a long day of automated fine issuing.

Some say getting caught looks like this:

The photovans are mobile, and to keep a tab on their whereabouts, speed trap alarms have been invented: eg Forside - Saphe - INT
Not that speed trap alarms guarantee anything, but if such a thing works just once, it has paid for itself.
Yes, I have one. It goes into my helmet, next to the left ear. Goes beep-beep-beep when something is up ahead of me.

Regarding low standards for driver licensing: Couldn't agree more! I don't know the specifics for your particular area, but in general people seem to think of motoring as "something to be dealt with because the vehicle can't drive itself". Most of them would rather focus on Youtube or Facebook on their cellphone. Leading to traffic resembling a herd of drunken rhinos in a china shop.
Here in DK, a license demands 29 lessons (hours) of theory, four lessons in a maneuvering area (cone patterns, braking test etc.), four lessons on closed road (we used the local racetrack :) ),16 supervised lessons driving a vehicle on public road and finally a written exam + a driving test with an official from the police department. If you pass both tests, you get a license - valid for the next 30 or so years without any retesting or brush-ups demanded. People tend to forget eeeeverything as soon as they've acquired the license. Oftentimes followed by a few fender-benders to remind them of the realities of life.
My main gripe with this is that there's no validation or retesting for THIRTY YEARS unless events create a demand for it. Meaning people have a full three decades to develop bad habits, remain uninformed of new laws and regulations and in general evolve into annoying idiots. Thus, I'm advocating bi-annual driving license retesting. Aging cars must pass bi-annual testing to remain registered, so why not aging motorists? I'm not envisioning full-blown tests, just a friendly drive around the town with a driving instructor or summat the like. Advisories and tips given to steer people in the right direction, combined with an afternoon of brushup on rules & regulations.
Keeping people on their toes.
Combined with draconian punishments for not knowing basic stuff - mostly to get the truly clueless & uninterested know-nothings off the road. And rules&regulations promoting sane behaviour, like instant confiscation of vehicle & license if racing in densely populated areas, but only fining if racing on empty motorway. Basically related to what level of risk you impose on others. Darwin will take care of sorting out the rest.

What are the rules where you live and operate? I'm curious...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Fairly easy theory test. 120hrs of logged driving under supervision on L plates. 20 of those at night. Then a practical driving test. 2 years driving on red P plates. 1 year driving on green P plates. Then licensed for life...

161 - 180 of 223 Posts