Honda CBR XX Forum banner
181 - 200 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fairly easy theory test. 120hrs of logged driving under supervision on L plates. 20 of those at night. Then a practical driving test. 2 years driving on red P plates. 1 year driving on green P plates. Then licensed for life...
A somewhat different approach. Theory & practical driving tests executed by the police? 120 hrs supervised driving on L plates - supervised by who; your mum or a certified instructor?
Licensed for life - really? No medical reasons cancellation possible? I know old people around here dislike going to doctors not only for the ails and aches, but because they run the risk of him taking away their license if they can't see or move or whatever well enough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A somewhat different approach. Theory & practical driving tests executed by the police? 120 hrs supervised driving on L plates - supervised by who; your mum or a certified instructor?
Licensed for life - really? No medical reasons cancellation possible? I know old people around here dislike going to doctors not only for the ails and aches, but because they run the risk of him taking away their license if they can't see or move or whatever well enough.
It's truly a terrible system, which due to its inherent idiocy of allowing truly awful drivers on the road, legislation places terribly restrictive speed limits and dumbs down the driving experience to a mind numbing level, if I could move to Europe or the state's I'd be out of here

·
Registered
111 Posts
Greed scameras is what I call them, when I'm feeling nice, usually not so nice 🙃
A way for government to generate income.
You can avoid the greed scameras. Lucky you, I can't avoid paying my tax - they've got me by my digital b*lls. Moaning, as tax came to a whopping 44% of total income last year.

You know the saying. Two things in life are unavoidable: The grim reaper - and taxes. Sigh.

·
Registered
111 Posts
<snip> if I could move to Europe <snap>
Funny. I've always found Australia to be a wonderful and BIG place to live in. Preferable to living in an overregulated society, stacked on top of each other in high-risers or queued-up on congested roads everywhere you go. Also, I've heard about a relatively head-on yet laidback approach to life, the universe and everything.

Am I wrong? Here's your chance to 'sell' the country to me :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funny. I've always found Australia to be a wonderful and BIG place to live in. Preferable to living in an overregulated society, stacked on top of each other in high-risers or queued-up on congested roads everywhere you go. Also, I've heard about a relatively head-on yet laidback approach to life, the universe and everything.

Am I wrong? Here's your chance to 'sell' the country to me :)
Beautiful country, used to be great, over the last 30 years or so it has become a nanny state, can still have a little fun but far away from the big brother camera infested cities, I imagine this is endemic to the rest of the world somewhat, the perfect country for autobahns, will likely never see though 😢

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 · (Edited)
God I'd love to ride my bird on an autobahn.

We should at least have one between Melbourne and Sydney. This country is massive and we are farting around doing 100kms an hour everywhere we go on highways.
Some research out of Europe shows that there is actually no correlation between road deaths and speed. What causes more road deaths is things like alcohol, drugs, fatigue, driver error, poor roads, weather etc. So, clearly the State is just having a field day/bonanza out of fining us for "speeding" because it is such an excellent income stream.
What annoys me is how fines just show up in the mail. Police don't even bother pulling you over anymore. It's all automated!

I actually think farting along at 100kms an hour is often more dangerous as it puts you to sleep behind the wheel. You brain just shuts down as soon as the cruise control goes on. Then when people crash because they are not concentrating, they say speed was a contributing/major factor. Clearly going fast can kill you but 'speed doesn't take lives' like they would have us think. Its a ploy.
Also, what is particularly annoying is that every decent vehicle being produced is designed to crush the speed limit in under 3 seconds but where can you actually drive or ride them properly? Hence, why I would love a autobahn!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts

We should at least have one between Melbourne and Sydney. This country is massive and we are farting around doing 100kms an hour everywhere we go on highways.
Some research out of Europe shows that there is actually no correlation between road deaths and speed. What causes more road deaths is things like alcohol, drugs, fatigue, driver error, poor roads, weather etc. So, clearly the State is just having a field day/bonanza out of fining us for "speeding" because it is such an excellent income stream.
What annoys me is how fines just show up in the mail. Police don't even bother pulling you over anymore. It's all automated!

I actually think farting along at 100kms an hour is often more dangerous as it puts you to sleep behind the wheel. You brain just shuts down as soon as the cruise control goes on. Then when people crash because they are not concentrating, they say speed was a contributing/major factor. Clearly going fast can kill you but 'speed doesn't take lives' like they would have us think. Its a ploy.
Also, what is particularly annoying is that every decent vehicle being produced is designed to crush the speed limit in under 3 seconds but where can you actually drive or ride them properly? Hence, why I would love a autobahn!
We finally got away from the 55 mph speed. Most Interstate speeds are 70 mph. East from Illinois they may be 65 mph. But in Illinois and west 70 or 80 mph. A lot of times if you do 70 mph you had better be in the right (slow) lane as a lot of people are doing 10 mph over. Cops don't seem to mind either. 15 over will get their attention. I was crossing wide open New Mexico, Oklahoma on some straight 2 lane roads and cruising at 100 mph for a couple of hours. Saw nobody.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts

Exactly the same applies to Canada. How the heck did these 'pioneer' countries become Nanny countries?

YES! YES! YES! This is a point that I keep on stating. It's not so much that that I lose concentration. When forced to drive/ride at one constant low speed I get distracted and inattentive to driving. I start looking at distractions at the side. If I am allowed to drive at a speed that is safe for the road and conditions all that I do is focus on my driving, and hence I am a safer driver. And, if I am allowed to do this I can stay out of trouble on a motorcycle by getting away from other traffic.

The other side of the coin is that a difficult debate that will go on forever. The majority of us on this forum probably have superior driving skills and are safe drivers because we are enthusiasts, but the same cannot be said for the general populace, especially now with those double edged swords called cellphones.
Here in Calgary (petroleum headquarter capital of Canada) we have lots of people making obscene amounts of money. Drivers regularly exceed the speed limit within the city by 20-30 km even in construction zones where fines are double. Because their pockets are deep they don't care about radar camera fines because there are no Demerit points applied to your license with automatic radar fines as it cannot be proven who was driving the vehicle. Sadly, some motorcyclists are also guilty of bad behavior with excessive speed and stunting.

On another point research has shown that low speed lane splitting is safe and reduces motorcycle rear ending, but there is huge resistance to it here.

Yes, that's another point I keep on bringing up. All these crazy H.P. numbers on mass produced production cars out of the showroom. What exactly is the point?

GREAT POST!

·
Administrator
9,148 Posts
Guess it's a state side thing. We Americans love HP lol.

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Registered
62 Posts
Guess it's a state side thing. We Americans love HP lol.
Hey, I love HP too....if I have somewhere to use it. I bought the Bird for many reasons other than HP, but it is frustrating having to look over your shoulder (in a manner of speaking) every time you want to open her up to bring on that :D :D :D

Actually some of the most powerful cars are made in Europe, not stateside. Example: Bugatti Veyron - 987 HP, but that's a niche market product, not the mass manufactured cars that I was referring to.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Hey, I love HP too....if I have somewhere to use it. I bought the Bird for many reasons other than HP, but it is frustrating having to look over your shoulder (in a manner of speaking) every time you want to open her up to bring on that :D :D :D

Actually some of the most powerful car are made in Europe, not stateside. Example: Bugatti Veyron - 987 HP, but that's a niche market product, not the mass manufactured cars that I was referring to.
I'm in Northern Illinois and a somewhat populated. 20 mile round trip commute. I just ripped up to 109 in short order. Several places to do it. We don't have cameras out in the country yet! As we know... it gets there so quickly!

Reactions: TTXPC

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm in Northern Illinois and a somewhat populated. 20 mile round trip commute. I just ripped up to 109 in short order. Several places to do it. We don't have cameras out in the country yet! As we know... it gets there so quickly!

(y)(y)(y) Enjoy!

·
Administrator
9,148 Posts

Actually some of the most powerful cars are made in Europe, not stateside. Example: Bugatti Veyron - 987 HP, but that's a niche market product, not the mass manufactured cars that I was referring to.
Ugh
Maybe production wise but I have a freind who owns a new Camaro SS. It's at 900hp now and he's only done a little bit of tinkering.😁

Reactions: deadman

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ugh
Maybe production wise but I have a freind who owns a new Camaro SS. It's at 900hp now and he's only done a little bit of tinkering.😁
I like those Camaros. Looks-wise they look like they mean business.... Real American muscle! Beautiful design. So many cars nowadays are just so generic looking and Blah!

900HP! Does your friend do wheelies like the Gixxer SQUIDS I saw on my ride yesterday!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Ugh
Maybe production wise but I have a freind who owns a new Camaro SS. It's at 900hp now and he's only done a little bit of tinkering.
My friend down the street just put a huge crate motor in an 80's camaro. 1060 streetable HP.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
What's a crate motor?
He ordered it and it comes in a crate from GM. He drag races it... but it needs to be able to run on the road. They have an event each summer. He trailers the car over to Ohio. Then unloads it. He then does passes on the strip. When done with that he has to drive it to another track maybe 200 miles away does passes there then drives to another strip. No chase truck. He can pull a small trailer with spare parts and tires. He said he put 800 miles on it in a week as there are like 4 different tracks. He kept coming in 2nd place behind this one dude by .2 seconds (as in 7.9 seconds and the winner was 7.7 seconds in the 1/4 mile). He pointed at his new motor and said... That'll fix the problem!

·
Administrator
9,148 Posts
Course I also just did a cam swap in another buddies 2006 Chevrolet Suburban. It's making 460 hp out of a 5.3 liter V8.
And my 72 ElCamino is making almost 400hp too.
So yes we are HP nuts😜

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
What is it about speed? Why do you think we like going faster and having endless horse power?

181 - 200 of 223 Posts