Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, with all the different and interesting bikes that are around nowdays, what is it specifically that you like about the Honda Blackbird?

I am very interested in this. Personally, since I purchased the Bird last year, I have found it top heavy, pretty uncomfortable and the suspension terrible!
The other day, I test rode a 2017 Honda Fireblade. I was blown away by how fast and nimble it was and also how you could dawdle around town at low speeds like Grandpa on a scooter! It's suspension was plush and smoothed the bumps out beautifully.
I immediately wanted one but when it came down to it, I just couldn't bring myself to trade-in or sell the Bird. There's just something about this bike.
So, what is it guys? What attracts you to this particular motorcycle?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well I bought my Bird because of a certain writer/journalist from my childhood and my "infatuation" with his work, for a lack of better word. I have no reference to other bikes, can't say I had any real or serious desire to get any other bike and I didn't ride anything else, aside from FZ7 on my motorcycle license test. Yes it's an old bike, antiquated perhaps, but those things really don't bother me, suspension or anything else everything about the bike is exactly to my liking, it's just your typical irrational man/machine love affair LOL

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,220 Posts
I fell in love with the shape and curves of the machine. It's a plus that the engine is smooth, powerful and gentle all at the same time. Just depends on my mood! I wanted one since 97 and I wasn't even a sports bike rider. I Found a 7000 mile 2001 in 2013 for $3500 obo. Jumped on it. It is still a bike I always stop and look at even if it is sitting in the garage... because I think it has timeless classic lines, powerful, just fun to take corners with when clinging to the tank with a knee, and cheap for what you get! New similar ones don't interest me at all. They are UGLY to me. Same power to weight ratio as a Ferrari. You don't have traction control or ABS so you need to know how to ride... and you don't need it. The power is soooooo predictable!
I like to tinker around on bikes and I can do that with this one and not have to have a computer to do it. For a little money ( very little compared to buying a new one) I have just as good or better suspension, electronic cruise control, massive amounts of removable luggage space, adjustable bars. Plus it's 20 years old... soon I can put antique plates on it! Insurance isn't bad either. And then... something in me just likes it!
I have looked at a BMW K1600 GT but that would have to be in addition to my BB. After my 1st summer of ownership into the late fall my wife said something about selling it as she figured I had had my fun and would keep riding Goldwings... Honey... said I... I'm never selling that bike. Never!
And I haven't. Gave the ST1300 to the son, bought a 2015 wing but the BB will always have a home in my garage as far as I can foresee.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1997 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
1 Posts
What's not to like? In my opinion it is one of the best-looking motorcycles ever made, especially in red. It is pretty fast even by today's standards, it is powered by an unburstable engine from an era when Honda were at the top of their game. I was 15 when it was launched and was a die-hard Honda fanboy until 1999 rolled along and a certain product from Hamamatsu opened my eyes to see that there are other manufacturers worth a look as well. But still, you can't beat the old Bird: where I live a Busa will cost you twice as much, and I can guarantee that a Busa is not twice as fast! Also, insuring a Bird is ridiculously cheap. I will never sell mine.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,220 Posts
What's not to like? In my opinion it is one of the best-looking motorcycles ever made, especially in red. It is pretty fast even by today's standards, it is powered by an unburstable engine from an era when Honda were at the top of their game. I was 15 when it was launched and was a die-hard Honda fanboy until 1999 rolled along and a certain product from Hamamatsu opened my eyes to see that there are other manufacturers worth a look as well. But still, you can't beat the old Bird: where I live a Busa will cost you twice as much, and I can guarantee that a Busa is not twice as fast! Also, insuring a Bird is ridiculously cheap. I will never sell mine.
Yes, CANDY GLORY RED!!!! Tis a beautiful color.

Reactions: Nato

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked one up a couple weeks ago and love everything about it. This is the bike I will keep until I can't ride no more(nostalgic reasons). I have been through many bikes and have been riding since the age of 15. Smooth, comfortable and corners pretty well in my opinion. The BB is a beast and makes my GSXR1000 looks like a mini bike. Not the fastest color according @Red Forman and @XXGUY but I'm still happy with slower silver color😂

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the Bird has inspired us but also appeals to us for its appearance, build quality, nostalgia and cost.
I feel like we are getting some great answers to a facinating topic. I would very much love to read more.
Thanks 😃.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think it,s all about the engine and the reliability. Ir,s heavy, the breaks are good but not excellent, the suspension is ....normal (to say something), but i ride two weeks ago with a FULL GS 1250 and the BIRD still continue to keep the pace...

And It,s 2004 (17 years older than the BMW). Pretty amazing!!

Best regards from Spain!!!

Enviado desde mi HD1903 mediante Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,220 Posts
I was at my dealer today talking to some of the young kids behind the counter. They asked me what kind of bikes I had. When I mentioned that I had a BB the owner who had been working on his computer not talking and is a quiet fellow looked over at us and said... "you have a BB? Wow, you don't see those much at all. Especially these days."
Remember they quit selling them in the USA in 2003.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I was at my dealer today talking to some of the young kids behind the counter. They asked me what kind of bikes I had. When I mentioned that I had a BB the owner who had been working on his computer not talking and is a quiet fellow looked over at us and said... "you have a BB? Wow, you don't see those much at all. Especially these days."
Remember they quit selling them in the USA in 2003.

So having a BB is like wearing a badge of honour/pride? I certainly feel proud to own mine. But do you think these bikes are special/in a class of their own? Or, do BB say more about us as owners and what we like? If the former, will they increase in value?
Thanks XXGUY.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I bought mine new back in 97. I had my prior bike (ZZR1100) stollen so this was insurance money + a touch of top up.

I wanted a top fast(est) machine (more comfortable than an outright sports bike esp as visiting my parents would be a 500+ round trip (sometime over a weekend sometime just fir the day). I figured ZZR again or this brand new slimmer faster better styled BB. No competion. Tgen to discover the build quality was exceptiona was just a pleasant upside (I'd had a Honda befire VFR so kinda knew tgat already. The ZZR had a safety recall and the front sprocket had thriwn a tooth!!).

The idea of fastest wasn't because I'm a speed freak. I just figured with all that power the acceleration and braking would be much less effected when I went two up. 70-80 mph is less than half speed/ power so two up would have plenty power to accelerate and sustain hether 1 up or 2. Same re braking. If the brakes will cope 180mph 1 up then 80mph 2 up is a breeze.

Then the slimness. I filter in heavy City traffic and the BB is just like a smaller commuter (bar the wing mirrors… which I still want to mod to be electric power folding… got the parts… about to prototype).

Then the styling. She's just timelessly head-turning. I still get even none bikers coming uo to ask me what she is and commenting on her goid looks.

Suspension, comfier seat, led lights, cruise control etc all readily available mods. Traction control… who needs it if you can ride properly. ABS I would say yes to (as I get older my reaction times are slower).

I have looked to see if I'd go latest nearest equivalent and concluded that I'd get minimal improvements (given I ride nowhere near the limits of this bike let alone a new modern bike) so no point putting cash inti a new one. My BB has even proved "clean" enough to meet the latest Ultra Low Emmission Zone (ULEZ) standards so I can continue to commute without punative daily penalty charge.

She still looks modern to the eye. Is easy enough to maintain myself. Is capable of way more than I need out of her, is incredibly well behaved and just puts a silly smile on my face every single time I ride her (come dry, sunny, rain, snow, ice, wind etc).

I wonder, like a medieval warrior being buried with his horse, whether I can slip her in beside me when the time comes?

OMG I'm in love with my Bird!

Mallow1

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I bought mine new back in 97. I had my prior bike (ZZR1100) stollen so this was insurance money + a touch of top up.

I wanted a top fast(est) machine (more comfortable than an outright sports bike esp as visiting my parents would be a 500+ round trip (sometime over a weekend sometime just fir the day). I figured ZZR again or this brand new slimmer faster better styled BB. No competion. Tgen to discover the build quality was exceptiona was just a pleasant upside (I'd had a Honda befire VFR so kinda knew tgat already. The ZZR had a safety recall and the front sprocket had thriwn a tooth!!).

The idea of fastest wasn't because I'm a speed freak. I just figured with all that power the acceleration and braking would be much less effected when I went two up. 70-80 mph is less than half speed/ power so two up would have plenty power to accelerate and sustain hether 1 up or 2. Same re braking. If the brakes will cope 180mph 1 up then 80mph 2 up is a breeze.

Then the slimness. I filter in heavy City traffic and the BB is just like a smaller commuter (bar the wing mirrors… which I still want to mod to be electric power folding… got the parts… about to prototype).

Then the styling. She's just timelessly head-turning. I still get even none bikers coming uo to ask me what she is and commenting on her goid looks.

Suspension, comfier seat, led lights, cruise control etc all readily available mods. Traction control… who needs it if you can ride properly. ABS I would say yes to (as I get older my reaction times are slower).

I have looked to see if I'd go latest nearest equivalent and concluded that I'd get minimal improvements (given I ride nowhere near the limits of this bike let alone a new modern bike) so no point putting cash inti a new one. My BB has even proved "clean" enough to meet the latest Ultra Low Emmission Zone (ULEZ) standards so I can continue to commute without punative daily penalty charge.

She still looks modern to the eye. Is easy enough to maintain myself. Is capable of way more than I need out of her, is incredibly well behaved and just puts a silly smile on my face every single time I ride her (come dry, sunny, rain, snow, ice, wind etc).

I wonder, like a medieval warrior being buried with his horse, whether I can slip her in beside me when the time comes?

OMG I'm in love with my Bird!

Mallow1
Some great stuff there Mallow1, thanks for sharing your story. It's a remarkable bike that puts a smile on my face too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Anyone else?

For me, one of the defining factors for my interest in this bike is its speed. I love things that roll and go and this machine really moves.

I also find it harder to ride than other bikes which means I bond more with it as I improve. One of my friends threw a leg over my Bird the other night and immediately announced 'oh yeah, I could ride this'. I knew otherwise as this was the same guy that has only ever ridden on his uncle's farm and broke his leg going down a hill the last time he was there. It's just not a straight forward hoon bike, or a cruiser, or a road bike. Its some sort of hybrid sports machine that takes a lot of getting used to, especially when cornering on stock suspension!

My other more learned mate says, 'you always get used to whatevers on tap', and that's true, but after a year of riding this beast I'm still not there yet.
I think the challenge of riding the Blackbird well and using all its power properly is what attracts me to this bike.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,220 Posts
"So having a BB is like wearing a badge of honour/pride? I certainly feel proud to own mine."
To me it is riding something that is rare. You don't see these much at all. Yet the package is complete. Beside everything I mentioned in my last post.

"But do you think these bikes are special/in a class of their own?"

Yes. For the above reasons. Also for some reason they seem special to people. Maybe because they are rare.. you see ZX's around and Hayabusa's too. to me they are plain and the busa is ugly.

"Or, do BB say more about us as owners and what we like? If the former, will they increase in value? "

Personally I ride Honda motorcycles because they may not be the fastest by a few mph or they may not brake the best by a few feet. They always seem to have the best overall combination of those type of things so it is the best overall package. The fit, finish and reliability is 2nd to none.

Increase in value? Someday but not for another 20 or more years if at all.

Reactions: Nato

·
Administrator
12,874 Posts
Seeing 119,000 miles tick over on my first post lockdown ride.
Can't say I done all those miles just 116,000 of them.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts