Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Glenn had serious back problems and couldnt ride his bird very far and was going to sell it because he couldnt ride it,
He rode mine for 20 Kays and loved it, He had no back problems at all on my Bird with the 12 inch risers,
He is about 5-7, Im 5-9.

Mine has a double Bubble other than the screen and Bars, its stock standard,
I changed my bars because I couldnt ride it with clip ons, 100 kays and my hands were cramped up and extremely painfull,
Which is crap and dangerous when I do 10 hour rides, Frequently,

Its for function, not looks, Cost me about $300-00 all up including the extra long hoses,

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
Cheers all,

I met a guy who had installed VFR800 handlebars onto his BB. He needed longer brake & clutch hoses (can't remember if he used VFR800 hoses) but it was a bolt on exercise and he got the bits from the bike wreckers.
You shouldn't need any longer gear with VFR800 bars :confused: I fitted VFR800 bars that I got from a guy on the .org site to my 98 and apart from having to unclip the cables from the clips under the tank it didn't require anything else as that gave plenty of length :)
There isn't really any extra though to go higher with the hoses as they are at about max ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My wife finished my seat yesterday and it feels much better than stock. She made the front much steeper and shaved the original foam down to about 1/2 inch. Then, she added a layer of the super delux foam from foam factory and partially re-attached the original cover. Riding into work this morning was much more comfortable for my butt.

I am now waiting on the JAWS peg lowering kit and straight bar conversion to arrive from the UK. I think I have to replace the stock windscreen too for the bars, but that's a 10 minute job at most, and I can order the windscreen from the US.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi Warlord,

I'm also 5'7" and I find my Blackbird ('99 stock, but for a Sargent seat) the most comfortable tourer that I've ever had. 110,000 miles on that saddle. Are you perhaps putting too much weight on your wrists? Check whether you're riding with straight, stiff arms.
I do notice myself riding straight armed. I am making a conscious effort to use my back muscles, but its callenge with my current setup. Hoping the rebuilt seat, new bars, and peg lowering will help.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,812 Posts
I believe convertibars allows you to raise the bars the most and sounds like that is what you are looking for. I have mine up about 6" and could go higher. They also allow you to bring bars closer to you and are highly adjustable for any position. You would need to replace brake lines and cables. I live in Lynnwood, you are welcome to come check them out if you want.
If I get out to Seattle in a year or two I would love to sit on your bike and check out the convertibars!

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I rode a Harley with highway pegs, my back bothered me. The bird seems to put me in a good posture. It seems to correct my posture and sooth any back ache. When your legs and feet are under you, as opposed to out in front of you, this should take strain off the back. Just a different perspective...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Welcome Warlord! Great to see another bird from the hood!:patriot:My touring comfort and all around dialing in came from the advice from the pros here. Look forward to hearing about your conversions! I have helibars and added two of the clip on wrist supports. Had mountain bike type grips for a while. 1st two seasons I tried stiff arm and finally gave in to full forward ride supported on my tank bags. After research and reviews got the MRA varible and good to any speed. IMG_3093.JPG IMG_3095.JPG IMG_7292.JPG Being the first bike to really feel "one" with , I use the Destination Highways maps to find the twisties. Turned over 60,000 miles this last summer on a 8 state 4000 mile trip. All great! My largest difference has been helping her shed 50lbs. :thumb:

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,812 Posts
Welcome Warlord! Great to see another bird from the hood!:patriot:My touring comfort and all around dialing in came from the advice from the pros here. Look forward to hearing about your conversions! I have helibars and added two of the clip on wrist supports. Had mountain bike type grips for a while. 1st two seasons I tried stiff arm and finally gave in to full forward ride supported on my tank bags. After research and reviews got the MRA varible and good to any speed. View attachment 118077 View attachment 118079 View attachment 118081 Being the first bike to really feel "one" with , I use the Destination Highways maps to find the twisties. Turned over 60,000 miles this last summer on a 8 state 4000 mile trip. All great! My largest difference has been helping her shed 50lbs. :thumb:
Good to hear from you Jetfire...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Got the bird back. The straight bars definitely help my back. I'm still relearning how to shift and brake with the peg lowering, but I'll figure it out. My biggest complaint is cost. As I am a pretty busy family guy, I took it to a shop to have all of the work done. All in, including parts... nearly $1,800. Granted, I also had my bike gone through, but holy cow. Really hoping I don't regret not just buying a different bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
UPDATE: After riding with it for a week now, I am becoming very satisfied with the straight bar and pegs. The brake and clutch levers lightly tap the mirrors at full lock, but it can easily be rectified with aftermarket levers. I even got some use from my new grip heaters this week! I'm going to eventually have to change some foam around in my home built seat, but I can now make a full hr commute in Seattle traffic without my back aching. I recommend the JAWS bars and peg lowering kit to anyone who is looking to become more touring oriented rider.

-Andy

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Gilles machine makes these. You can switch up to carby throttle cables they are 2 inches longer and drop right in

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,482 Posts
Bees, thats someting i didnt know. When i fitted the apex bars i overcalculated the extended throttle cables and added 110mm which is what the brake line needed. Cables now touch the dash on turning. I might just grab myself a pair of throttle cables for a carbie. Voila. Thankyou.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Lol yeah, I saw them. I'm not quite ready to go that route though. I just found some better photos of the JAWS straight bar conversion. It looks like it brings the bars back a couple inches. Can anyone with those installed tell me how many inches up and back they are over stock clip ons?

Also, thank you everyone for your responses so far!
I've had the Jaws Straight conversion, not a lot higher than VFRs. So I went Demon Tweeks Rentek sports hi bars. Fit straight on Jaws converters, about 3" high and you can angle them backwards, bledy lovely. Changed the clutch line, front brake and throttle cables. All needed doing anyway as Bird is 21 yrs old. I'm 5'7" and lowered the bike on the susp triangle, now I ride like a trials bike when on tour, two up and full luggage. Bugga the ole stick in the muds, my Bike and I modified it to fit me, fekking brill now and has not altered the power one iota. Why should it, it's a Bird ain't it?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Damn. I missed this one, but what I would have said is helibars, peg lowering kit and a decent higher windscreen. Worked for me! And I'm 59, 5'7" and 500 miles a day {800kms) is just a walk in the park.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Damn. I missed this one, but what I would have said is helibars, peg lowering kit and a decent higher windscreen. Worked for me! And I'm 59, 5'7" and 500 miles a day {800kms) is just a walk in the park.
You ride your Bird to the local shops, Wow, Hahahaha

21 - 38 of 38 Posts