Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all as the title says after about 60 miles my fingers on the throttle hand go numb
chain and sprockets all good .the grips are hard so maybe the grips dont help ,maybe
balancer shafts they have never been adjusted .bar end weights are chrome maybe to light
thanks in advance

·
Registered
279 Posts
It might not be the bike.

Maybe your gloves are too tight? Or your jacket/top is tight around your armpit/shoulder? Or maybe you are gripping too tight or are holding your arm in an odd position.

Just something to consider.

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI iv just removed the sprocket cover cleaned it out ,cleaned the shaft ,im using an Ognibene front which
i noticed i have about 2mil of side to side movement i just change the same sprocket on my zx6r because of
the whining noise it made after about 80 miles ,chain is a little slack ,would the play in the sprocket cause the vibration

·
Registered
534 Posts
2mm movement is correct. That is the way Honda designed it. Spline/sprocket MUST BE coated with anti seize grease. If dry, it may cause vibration as sprocket struggles to "float".

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi all as the title says after about 60 miles my fingers on the throttle hand go numb
chain and sprockets all good .the grips are hard so maybe the grips dont help ,maybe
balancer shafts they have never been adjusted .bar end weights are chrome maybe to light
thanks in advance
I have the same problem on a 2006 blackbird I’d love to fix it?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Mine 2005 blackbird vibrates between 3k-4k rpm. To avoid that I usually use higher gear.
Your can chain tensioner (CCT) may be worn out. Some vibration accompanied by a "bucket of bolts" sound at 3-4000rpm. Easy to fix.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Cheers Wayne,

There are many sources of bar vibes.... one that I thought of while reading through was throttle body/carbies out of synchro.

When I get my 05FI BB synchro'd just right, it is turbine smooth at all rpm's.

PS New plugs can help if the old ones are near their service limit, as does new oil & filter and a clean airfilter.

A clapped out or dry chain may look ok, but it can cause bar vibes...... to test, tension the chain like when doing a chain slack measurement, and try to pull a roller off the rear of the sprocket (near the adjusters)..... if it is easy to lift it well away from the sprocket, then your chain is fkd, and so too are the sprockets. Check for a bad loose spot while you're there.

Tyres can cause some vibes if they have scooped out the treads - you can feel the bumps as you rotate by hand.

Maybe a dry or worn wheel bearing.... check for any sideways play. Same for steering head bearings.

A mate of mine was amazed how smooth his GPz1100B1 (which he has owned since new in 1982) was after I synchronized his throttle bodies....... he can rebuild a motor, but never knew about synchro'ing the throttle bodies.....

(y)

Reactions: Sjporter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Wayne, As Greg.r said, it might not be your bike. If it was vibration coming from the bike causing numbness, wouldn't you get it in both hands and not just your throttle hand? Your throttle hand never gets a rest so is likely to tighten up (unless you have cruise control). Many people suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome which can be accentuated by the weight and wrist angle of a forward riding position.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hi Wayne, As Greg.r said, it might not be your bike. If it was vibration coming from the bike causing numbness, wouldn't you get it in both hands and not just your throttle hand? Your throttle hand never gets a rest so is likely to tighten up (unless you have cruise control). Many people suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome which can be accentuated by the weight and wrist angle of a forward riding position.
This ^^ I have issues with carpal tunnel and obviously, it's more noticeable in the right hand as you use/abuse this hand more (assuming right-handed) and having to keep your hand on the bars more often :unsure:
That is why the 1st thing I did was fit a Vista Cruise throttle lock and softer grips :) Then I fitted VFR Vtech bars which put me more upright taking the load off my hands 😎
Also as I found out when I fitted my VFR bars if the levers are too close to horizontal that can aggravate things :(
I also fitted HVMP heavy bar ends to reduce what vibes I could that were coming through the bars and got good gloves with padded palms which helped as well ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts