Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend looked at a XX for me two states and he pointed out the cracks in a couple cowlings and the paint that is on another.

Who is making the best replacement parts these days?

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,788 Posts
I'd say Ultra_suppliers.com. there is a thread on here about them. MapleXX reported good things about them and several others too. Only down side is that you have to put the heat shield on yourself. Need to source it too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,788 Posts
They offer payment plans? Just how expensive are they? Ultra was around $410 for a full kit and shipped to your house. Everyone who got them said they were great and fit like OEM and they send enough paint to get your tank painted too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call me crazy but, I'm really looking to keep the finish Mute Metallic Black. So even if a refinish is involved for the right Bird I would entertain the idea. I'm just wondering how much it would cost to pay someone to do it. I'm all setup for with a small booth and HVLP but, I'd never prepped and painted ABS plastic.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,788 Posts
Call me crazy but, I'm really looking to keep the finish Mute Metallic Black. So even if a refinish is involved for the right Bird I would entertain the idea. I'm just wondering how much it would cost to pay someone to do it. I'm all setup for with a small booth and HVLP but, I'd never prepped and painted ABS plastic.
It's not hard at all. If only small nicks fill it in sand down then rough up (sand) the stock paint and spray with primer and go from there. I have even sanded down to the plastic. Still go from there like normal. Talk to your paint suppliers about it and see if they recommend any additives for flexibility if you are worried about that.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
As above ultra suppliers has been the go too. I've installed a set on a freind BB and the fit was perfect. Color match is pretty good too. I wouldn't worry to much about a flex additive. Use a good quality paint and your going to be good. At the point where it's going to lift from an impact with good paint the panels going to get trashed anyway. As for matching look around good paint shops can match it up. I just had my titanium matched up and it was perfect. We now have a paint mix code for the titanium in PPG'S Deltron. You also need to pay attention to your primer base color. IT WILL effect your color especially on a base clear coat.
With all the above said paints the easy part getting factory match decals is the next issue. I know my 2k titanium actually has 5 different colors in the CBR side badge. The base isn't clear as I thought. Upon close inspection it's actually the body panel titanium. Then there's the cbr emblem that is digitally faded as is goes down the panel. And the red for the PGMFI is actually a red metalflake. Damn why couldn't they make these darn things easy to copy lol.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One internet store has factory replacement parts that would come straight from Honda. Two pieces...$1,000

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Greetings nomad,
Purchased my fairings from Monster thinking they would be better than Ultra and paid the $200 more.
The fitment was ok but nothing special. Had to woller out some holes to make fit or my machine wasn't perfectly aligned or something.
Must say they arrived in 2 weeks with heat shields installed. ABS is a bit more brittle than OEM so don't try to stretch while fitting or it WILL break.
Other than that my babe is looks perrty now plus better gas mileage LOL!!

STex, out

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve been wondering about how much flexibility an ABS fairing should have. Absfairing guys sent me a link to a Instagram video and the product in the video was very flexible.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I'd also add that the set of accumarts I helped s friend install had the same markings on the inside as his factory set. This leads me to believe they may have actually acquired a set of factory dies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts